Goodbye Jesus

Another Hurdle Cleared

Geezer

That's great, Geezer. I've loved hearing your reflections on your marriage over the years. It's noteworthy that she would seek your perspective on biblical matters as so often the unbelieving spouse is viewed as dangerous /threatening.

Awesome!!

Good on you for letting her take the lead and not pushing the issue. Now that she realizes the Bible isn't credible, it's really likely to just fall apart from here.

It's normal to want to have faith in some type of higher spirituality, so she can still be an Ex-C and believe in a God at the same time. Would it work to maybe check out some alternative spirituality together? 

Wow, this is wonderful. I especially like the fact that you had a truly intimate and honest discussion. It seems clear that whether or not your wife trusts God, she trusts you.

It's never easy, but it seems to be much harder to question life-long beliefs at your wife's age. That she's doing so now speaks to her character and her respect for honesty. I'm happy for you Geezer. 

Nice going!  It sounds as if you really handled this well.  I think under the circumstances, I would have had difficulty not jumping up and down with excitement!  I'm really happy that you were able to have this intimate discussion. 

WOW Geezer!

That's awsome!

I'm taking the same tact with my wife and hope that she investigates with an open mind at some point. Your post gives me renewed hope that this could actaully happen.

Good for you and your wife.  Take it low and slow.

I learned a long time ago that no one can force an adult to either believe or not believe religious dogma. People have to be convinced, either by education or indoctrination, to either accept or reject religion & that requires a receptive mind.

Once a decision is made it will be enormously difficult to get them to change their mind. The biggest hurdle will be to get them to open their mind sufficiently enough to honestly consider new information, or information that challenges their "beliefs".

If the "discussion" becomes combative no purpose will be served by continuing it. The person simply isn't mentally or emotionally ready to discuss the subject. Shut It down before the person permanently closes the door & accept the fact they may not be receptive to address these subjects again for years or maybe never.

In the case of my wife it's taken 11 years for her to bring the subject up for discussion.

• Like 1

I'm happy for you. Especially that you two were able to have such an open discussion.

Geezer,

You indeed are a good and decent Man.

My hopes for a long and smooth golden years with Momma Geezer.

kevinL

That is great news geezer!  I am in a similar situation with my wife and I don't have any expectations that she will ever question her faith.  I guess there is hope but I am going to keep my expectations at zero to avoid disappointment.

Geezer, I just wanted you to know how happy I am for you and your family! This is great news! 

(hug)

Thanks for the encouraging thoughts everyone. Much appreciated.