Goodbye Jesus

Another Reason Why The God Of The Bible Doesn't Exist

SerenelyBlue

The Bible tells us about the heavens (spiritual dimension above the flat earth) and the earth. When God brags to Job about how great he is he only mentions things from this one earth. When Isiah talks about the majesty of God he only mentions wonders on this earth. Nowhere does God or any prophet mention any of the other suns with their worlds. Nowhere is the vastness of physical existence mentioned. The supposed heaven that is mentioned is also mundane. A throne with angels etc.

People in the ancient times just didn't have the imagination to describe what we know is in the universe.

It wasn't God speaking. It was the primitive human being speaking. I don't know why Christians can call the Bible miraculous. It is pretty mundane, full of errors, contradictions, myths and superstition.

I am so glad I am not blinded by a man made religion.

• Like 2

Yes, much Biblical literature strongly infers its authors had a limited understanding of many things.  Many of the empirical claims in the Bible are simply wrong.  The evidence also shows much of what was written came from earlier cultures.

None of this should be surprising.

I'm on my own surrounded by a religious world, like most of you. Any evidence that shows that I am right and the masses are wrong gives me hope and joy.

SerenlyBlue,

Interesting point of view that the bable never mentions other planets or universes. Yes, it mentions stars occasionally, but only to point out the FACT that god put them there and changes them at will. More evidence that the book(s) was/were written by ancient men and not by any deity.

It certainly gives me joy to find evidence that xianity, or any other religion for that matter, is/are wrong - due to their horrifically violent and hopeless doctrine. I find it comforting to know that religions such as xianity, muslim, catholosism are bullshit.

As for begin alone in a religions world...well..me too. That's why I come here.

• Like 2

Yeah... the being alone part.  It is soooo odd to live in this world, surrounded by a vast population stuck on some variation of a "god" mindset....not able to honestly converse with them as, having been them, I know that any discourse would not likely result in anything positive for them, and would likely make be lose whatever relationship I have with them.  I can only watch in disappointment at their public displays and nonsense rituals.  :(    

• Like 1

Interesting point of view that the bable never mentions other planets or universes. Yes, it mentions stars occasionally, but only to point out the FACT that god put them there and changes them at will. More evidence that the book(s) was/were written by ancient men and not by any deity.

In addition to that, the Bible says that a third of the stars will be cast down to earth. We now know that that is completely impossible, as the earth would burn up if it got too close to just one star. The idea of a bunch of stars being cast down to earth only makes sense from the flawed view that the stars are just a bunch of dots on a sky-dome. That concept clearly did not come from an all-knowing creator of the universe.

• Like 1

I don't think the 'casting stars to earth' line is good evidence that the bible is wrong. It comes from Revelation and is describing 'the dragon' fighting in heaven and 'deceiving' a third of angels... which then become demons depending on which Christian group you listen to. So most Christians would say its not literally talking about stars, but angels.

Of course you have the confusion between part of Revelations being taken literal, and part taken metaphorically. Example: some believe the mark of the beast will be real and physical, but 'stars cast to earth' nah that's obviously a metaphor to Satan deceiving a third of angels in heaven. (Incidentally nice of god to create angels that can be deceived by the head angel. Hey, I'll create angels to worship me.... but I'll have a third of them turn against me cause.... CONFICLT IS AWESOME)Whoo!

• Like 1

I don't think the 'casting stars to earth' line is good evidence that the bible is wrong. It comes from Revelation and is describing 'the dragon' fighting in heaven and 'deceiving' a third of angels... which then become demons depending on which Christian group you listen to. So most Christians would say its not literally talking about stars, but angels.

Of course you have the confusion between part of Revelations being taken literal, and part taken metaphorically. Example: some believe the mark of the beast will be real and physical, but 'stars cast to earth' nah that's obviously a metaphor to Satan deceiving a third of angels in heaven. (Incidentally nice of god to create angels that can be deceived by the head angel. Hey, I'll create angels to worship me.... but I'll have a third of them turn against me cause.... CONFICLT IS AWESOME)Whoo!

The Gospels have Jesus himself teaching that the stars will fall from the sky in Matthew 24:29 and Mark 13:25, so it clearly is a problem. We now know that stars can't just fall from the sky, even though it would've seemed plausible in the erroneous worldview that stars were just bright dots.

Even with Revelation, the mention of a third of the stars being cast down to earth also seems to indicate that the author thought of stars as just bright dots, even if it was meant symbolically. Why would he use that concept as imagery if he understood what stars really are?

The Gospels have Jesus himself teaching that the stars will fall from the sky in Matthew 24:29 and Mark 13:25, so it clearly is a problem. We now know that stars can't just fall from the sky, even though it would've seemed plausible in the erroneous worldview that stars were just bright dots.

Even with Revelation, the mention of a third of the stars being cast down to earth also seems to indicate that the author thought of stars as just bright dots, even if it was meant symbolically. Why would he use that concept as imagery if he understood what stars really are?

Yeah, those passages about stars always indicated to me that the bible just wasn't all it was purported to be. I couldn't believe that it wasn't obvious to everyone!

• Like 1

That's a really good point. Back in ye olde holey babble times, they essentially thought stars were like tiny bite-sized mini-moons. In reality, if the stars and the earth did manage to crash, it would be more like the Earth getting pulled into the sun. The earth is puny when compared to stars, not the other way around.

The cosmology of the Bible is pretty messed up. They also have the stars singing together, which may be poetic, or may be a thought that the stars are angels, which is how one could break off and show the wise men which house to approach. Building a tower to reach Heaven (breaking through the firmament), stopping the sun in the sky (which we now know would be stopping the rotation of the Earth, but the scriptures say the Earth cannot be moved which is why Galileo was persecuted), etc. They truly did not understand much about cosmology.

I brought this up on a Yahoo forum, and a Creationist had snappy but stupid answers all preceded with "Of course there was a firmament before the flood..." "Of course they built a giant tower..."

• Like 1

Oftentimes a biblical passage is believed to be literal until it is proven to be scientifically impossible, then it becomes figurative.  Even after proven to be impossible, some christians (fundys, creationsists) still hold onto the idea that it is literal. 

• Super Moderator

Do we really need any reasons to just assume it's not real? If people can't produce evidence and compelling arguments we are not obliged to believe in such things as gods, fairies, hobgoblins, demons, angels and a host of other proposed magical entities and magical realms.

Hmmmmmmmm.

Do we need evdience that religions are bullshit.

Interesting. I suppose that many evangelicals could be dealt with by simply asking for evidence, REAL evidence - not just references to an ancient book written by controling assholes!

Do I need evidence that goblins, witches, gods, magic, angles, demons exist.

NO! 

• Super Moderator

I can't believe you guys think that when the bible talks about "stars" it's referring to the actual stars.  What driveling bullshit!  It's obviously talking about the stars on the American flag.  It's a fucking prophecy, not an allegory, and certainly not literal astronomy.  jesus god damn christ, what kind of clowns are running this circus?

• Like 1