Goodbye Jesus

Fear Of Death Less As A Non-Believer

Insightful

I noticed a strange thing recently: compared to 3 years ago - when I was a believer - my fear of death has SIGNIFICANTLY diminished.  At first it seems ironic - now that I don't think I have a blissful eternity waiting for me, I'm somehow more comfortable with death.

I remember many dark nights grappling with intense fear of dying - what it would be like.  It would almost send me right into a panic attack.  (sometimes it did).

This past week, on a long plane flight, when I thought about dying in a plane crash (I used to be totally freaked out on planes), I just peacefully accepted that life is fleeting - that I am impermanent.  I treasure every moment.  They matter more now because they are few and precious and limited.  

In some strange way, Christianity seems to heighten our fear of death - it is seen as a divine punishment - rather than help us accept it as a very natural and neutral part of being alive.

It's really crazy.  I would have expected to be so much more fearful as a non-Christian.  But I guess that's part of what keeps the back door of the church locked tight...

Realizing that I could be snuffed out in a moment's breath keeps me *in the moment*, savoring, enjoying, and letting go.

• Like 1

Yup. Christianity is based on fear. As you've discovered, when you finally get out of the box, the fear goes away and you feel a terrific sense of serenity. One of my favorite quotes is from Mark Twain, an atheist: "I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."

Yep, same for me. Isn't it interesting that Xianity is supposedly all about removing the fear of death for a promise of eternal bliss, but then Xianity also says heaven is just a hope not a guaranty. Xianity is also unable to lay out the minimum requirements for a believer to make it to heaven. For every Bible verse that offers some degree of hope there is an off setting verse that effectively nullifies the hope of heaven. It's a shell game except there is no pea under any of the shells.

As a non- believer I've come to accept that death is simply the end of life. That's it there isn't anything else. When a person dies they metaphorically go to sleep & never wake up. Best of all the dead are not aware they are dead, they are not aware of anything. I think that could be honestly called eternal peace.

I found the same thing... once I realized I didn't believe in God I also didn't believe in hell or Satan... and lost much fear of death. Kind of weird since supposedly I was never going to die but go in the 'rapture' Enter fear 2 - not making the rapture and being left behind (cue movie title)

Here is a clip that put things into perspective - listen from 1:05 if you don't want to listen to the beginning music (Sets the atmosphere though :) )

I can totally relate. I didn't expect that