Goodbye Jesus

I Visited My Friend's Church Today (He Invited Me). Just Some Thoughts.

ExMachina1

I decided to go because, 1. I thought itd be interesting to come to a place I use to call home, to observe how I myself now see things differently 2. the familiar feeling of being in a church, can't lie it is a good feeling, call it nostalgia 3. to see a friend I havent seen in a while.

It was empowering and saddening. The prayers, the singing, the good feelings of worship and laying down the cross and imitating the life of Jesus all remind me of a time where this was truth to me, and now I am of a different mind. I felt sad seeing so many people truly believe what they're doing is right, believing in not only an illogical religion, but morally bankrupt one as well. I was sad seeing my friend (who does the sermons and all) preach the gospel of Jesus Christ; instill people with faulty knowledge. I was thinking to myself how funny it is that everyone in this room seek to exemplify God's perfect love, yet somehow seem content (even if grudgingly) with knowing their loved ones will perish for eternity. 

It was empowering to know that I can now listen and analyze critically what I hear with courage, and to know that I am no longer bound to ridiculous ideas.

Since I'm technically still a pastor (until the end of the year, when my credentials expire), I still get the denominational emails and mailings.  I just got one that was a story about how life brings storms but if we submit to God, we come out better.  I'm seeing (or noticing) more and more the themes that what God does is all emotion.  I even herd someone say from a pulpit recently that God's dealings with us are "at the heart level".  In other words, don't expect anything tangible, except better feelings about your situation. A lot of Christians feel that it is God who gets them through the tough spots in life.  I mentioned on another thread that I have a friend who is dealing with a life-threatening illness and depends on God to get them through the days.  Maybe if he really thinks he doesn't have what it takes inside to make it through this, it's beneficial to think there is a God who is helping.

I wonder what would happen if we could communicate to people that what they need is inside them and inside the people (spouses, etc.) who are their support system.

I will say that, as you point out, the community aspects of church and all things related is a big draw.  If you are dealing with a difficult situation, it's probably better to think people are praying for you than to think nobody cares.  I know, we can go into all kinds of discussion about how useless it is and how prayer can be used as a substitute for actually doing something, I'm just looking at that one facet of it.

Some really good thoughts in this thread.