Goodbye Jesus

Favourite Ex-C Inspirational Quotes?

Autumn2909

I'm a big journaller, and have for the past few months been using thebullet journally system which I love, especially now I'm in a travelers style notebook (aka fauxdori)......

As a Christian, I was big on quotes and loved filling journal pages which lettering practice of bible verses, encouragements etc. A lot of the line BuJo community, especially in TNs apparently, are Christians which can be a bit alienating and triggering for me unfortunately.

This journaling is something I'd like to re-adopt and reclaim as part of my "humanist-okay not knowing" journey.

Please would share some of your favourite positive quotes, extracts etc which are from a more secular humanist perspective.

Also, any ex-c Bu-Jo/ TN-ers, feel free Tomane friends :)

Well, not exactly secular but my favorite is from Crowfoot, a Native American tribal chief:

"What is life?  It is the flash of a firefly in the night.
It is the breath of a buffalo in the winter time.
It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."

Here are my favorite atheist/agnostic quotes.

“I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires.” –Susan B. Anthony

"No gods, no masters." -Margaret Sanger

"Christianity finds it hard to win new converts without reducing them emotionally to such wretchedness of self-depreciation that they surrender the last remnants of reason and human worth…” –Eli Chesen, M.D.

“Every man thinks God is on his side. The rich and powerful know he is.” –Jean Anouilh

“Believe nothing, O monks, merely because you have been told it… or because it is traditional, or because you yourselves have imagined it. Do not believe what your teacher tells you merely out of respect for the teacher. But whatsoever, after due examination and analysis, you find to be conducive to the good, the benefit, the welfare of all beings—that doctrine believe and cling to, and take it as your guide.” –Gautama Buddha

And my favorite (what you're actually looking for :-))

“Life should be lived so vividly and so intensely that thoughts of another life, or of a longer life, are not necessary.” –Marjory Stoneham Douglas

My fovorite:

“To be is to do”—Aristotle 

“To do is to be”—Kant 

“Do be do be do”—Sinatra

“Life should be lived so vividly and so intensely that thoughts of another life, or of a longer life, are not necessary.” –Marjory Stoneham Douglas

That one is going in my journal :)