Goodbye Jesus

Point Of Inquiry Podcast - Editing Our Pasts: Dr. Julia Shaw On The Illusion Of Memory

webmdave

• Admin

Dr. Julia Shaw is a psychological scientist and senior researcher in the Department of Law and Social Science at London South Bank University. She teaches at the undergraduate and graduate level and her research on false memory has been published in several international academic journals. She returns to Point of Inquiry this week to discuss her new book, The Memory Illusion.

Our memories are a collection of perceptions of our past experiences, and they influence what we think we’re capable of in the future. Dr. Shaw argues that if we start to question the accuracy of our memories we’re then forced to question the foundation of who we think we are. She shows us that our memories aren’t as reliable as we think. Not only are we capable of co-opting other people’s memories as our own, but we can also be easily persuaded by the power of suggestion that we’ve committed acts that have never actually occurred. Even when it comes to our most confident recollections, the potential for memory error has proven to be profound, and Dr. Shaw believes understanding the science of memory can help us deal with our brains’ tendency to rewrite the past.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/pointofinquiry/Julia_Shaw_2016_final.mp3

Sometimes I wonder if my father's memories of abusing me have been warped in this way. For me, though I had repressed memories and was aware of false memories, my PTSD and my father's other characteristics were evidence for it. Every so often,though, I get freaked out that maybe my memories are wrong.