Goodbye Jesus

Westworld Series On Hbo (No Spoilers)

Fuego

Based on the old movie/book, this series seems to take off years after the original robot "virus" in the 70s. There are some interesting changes, some downright nasty characters, some great acting, some quite mediocre acting, and some great insights and questions into our own lives and who is pulling the strings. 

I didn't care for the acting ability of the park administrators. They seem to have been given very amateurish dialog. Or maybe the dialog is an indication that they are not what they seem, though that is quite a stretch at this point.

The sub-stories are intriguing. As are the hints at what may be coming.

Overall, I like it and will watch more. Hope they get better dialog writers soon.

Lots of blood, nudity, and implied sadism.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed Fuego.

Was not sure what to think of STILL ANOTHER RE-POP of a show made so far Wayback that it would be NEW again!111!!!OnE11!!!

Watching, enjoying story as things start to build. 

kL

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the first episode and found it entertaining. I had no idea its a remake. Certainly has some power players as actors. I will likely watch more.

I've watched the first 3 eps. I like it. The last ep was a little slow, but the idea is good enough to stick with it a bit and see how it develops. 

I just hope it's not going to turn into a zombie-like flick. I would prefer to see at least some of the robots characters develop more rather than have them all turn into raging killers. 

I'm enjoying it.  I agree with the pro-AI, anti-zombie sentiment.

I'd say from the last episode that Arnold is still quite "alive" as a conscience for the robots. He may have disagreed with Dr. Ford's "they don't feel except what we tell them to feel; we can do whatever we want to with them" approach, and may have interjected himself into their subconscious programming, or is a form of AI himself. Maybe as a form of sympathy, or maybe looking for the next step in AI.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought that the yuppie businessman nearly quoted the Steve Jobs guy from Ex Machina in the last episode when he described how he chose the nice businessman.

I liked the very brief nod to Yul Brynner in the last show. His form shows up in a dimly lit area of a restricted basement in the Delos complex.

• Like 1

^^^^ I missed that.

So far, I haven't fallen in love with this show like Game of Thrones or the first season of True Detective. I'm going to watch the entire first season, but it's going to have to get better for me to tune in next year.

I liked the very brief nod to Yul Brynner in the last show. His form shows up in a dimly lit area of a restricted basement in the Delos complex.

I saw it! They never brought it into focus though. But there was no mistaking who/what it was. Even had the perfect thumbs in the belt stance.

^^^^ I missed that.

So far, I haven't fallen in love with this show like Game of Thrones or the first season of True Detective. I'm going to watch the entire first season, but it's going to have to get better for me to tune in next year.

I think they're trying to throw too much at the audience. If there's a single person that understands all that's going on, it has to be the writer because no viewer does. They're lying if they say they do.

I'm usually good at piecing confusing stories together. This one has me feeling quite lost.

I hope it starts to pick up. It's slow going here.

I hope it starts to pick up. It's slow going here.

It's definitely a weird one. One minute, it's interesting. Then it just isn't. :shrug:

Dolores is pretty darn easy on the eyes though. :wub:

Very interesting turn in the last episode. Though the Maeve issue would be a simple one for the techs to fix when she wasn't in their presence...

While I agree that it is slow at times, I feel a convergence coming on. Maybe I am way off, but I like the concept of the AI development and how Dolores and Maeve are developing ways to think autonomously. There are still parts I am trying to figure out, such as what exact role Ford has in all of the "developments" with Dolores and Maeve. The maze thing is interesting to me as well. I like the idea of the man in black character, but am not sure what is exactly transpiring with him and Teddy. Of course, thats the story line that is unfolding, I guess. William and Logan's storyline is still a bit strange to me, but maybe its still in too early development for it to make sense at the moment. I think there is too much backstory between them that is unknown for me to really connect with them.

I am still intrigued. I have not watched this weeks episode yet.

I still think the blonde tech would have taken a tablet and reduced Maeve's intelligence down to stupid, and then reported the other geek. I also think they would have had alerts in place to keep such things from happening. But it's a story.

I liked the insight into the Man in Black in the last episode. Strange that he didn't remind Teddy about what he did to him.

I also wonder if they intend a 2nd season, or will just wrap it up.

I also wonder if they intend a 2nd season, or will just wrap it up.

I am pretty sure I read a headline that HBO ordered a second season.

Well, hopefully they will have a storyline that will last that long.

In another series on Starz "Ash vs the Evil Dead", it feels like they ran out of story and just keep it going. Sometimes it is still funny though.

I'm done with this one.

It failed to have any semblance of a story that could keep me interested. I just finished watching the most recent episode and it was more like an acid trip than a TV show. I kept waiting for something -- anything -- to make this live up to what I'd hoped for.

I only know the names of two characters which is a good indicator that it just isn't something I'm into.

The original movie contained a better story than whatever it is they tried doing with this.

For those of you sticking with it -- enjoy!

Well, hopefully they will have a storyline that will last that long.

In another series on Starz "Ash vs the Evil Dead", it feels like they ran out of story and just keep it going. Sometimes it is still funny though.

I read that they have a story line planned out for 5 seasons. The way it's going, I'm not sure it's going to last that long. I think the whole Maeve storyline is stupid.

I liked some of the twists in the last episode, Ford and Bernard, the conflict between the two business guys and Dolores (which I had assumed would be much worse for her).

But they made a technical boo-boo again, this time with Dolores not leaking blood from her abs during her run.

• Like 1

Wow, that was fascinating! I can't imagine how they will continue the series without taking it in a totally new direction. In the old movie Futureworld, the park was trying to replace world leaders with hosts, so perhaps the hosts will try that on their own. They gave a taste of that with showing the samurai.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Loved the ending of the last episode. I figured this was the direction it was headed and they spent an entire season getting us there. Gonna be interesting.

This season final show was rather a sudden story line changer. Can't say anything, spoil things for those who have yet to see show.

I was highly impressed by AI and what could be boiling under veneer of humanity.

k

Fuck! You guys are gonna make me go back and finish the season now!