Goodbye Jesus

Finding God In The Waves

bunzooh

Hi

This is my first post in this forum, though I've read here a little bit.

Just got the book Finding God in the Waves by Mike McHargue, who left evangelicalism for atheism, then regained a belief in God and considers himself a follower of Jesus, though not an evangelical. I haven't finished reading it yet, but there is a useful exercise he describes that I realize, I'm sort of already doing.

Because the brains of believers show an emotional (not rational) connection during brain scans, when they think about God...that is, the prefrontal cortex isn't as active as the limbic system or other areas of the brain...and atheists' brains don't light up when they are asked to think about God, because their brains don't have neuron connections similar to what believers' brains do. Well, the author advises doubters to imagine the god they can accept, and meditate or pray with that God in mind, in order to keep those "god neurons" active and connected.

Reading this, it hit me...I've been imagining and sometimes feeling connected to, a creator who infuses all the universe, sort of saturating everything like a wetlands meadow would be...when you step, your footprint fills with water, because all of it is saturated with some underground spring or something. I believe god exists, but I find I can't trust god. However, maybe I can feel more peaceful about things if I imagine god as an energy that fills everything completely full. ???

anyway. Searching for a way to think about consciousness, eternity, an afterlife. heh. a "forelife" here in this physical existence.

Goodbye Jesus
  • Super Moderator
Well, the author advises doubters to imagine the god they can accept, and meditate or pray with that God in mind, in order to keep those "god neurons" active and connected.

Why?

• Like 1

well, the neuron thing isn't as important to me as the fact that I already do "imagine" a god that I'm connected to. McHargue doesn't consider religion dangerous or bad, or at any rate, people who are in religions who want to do well because they believe in god.

anyway, I'm finding some use in it. I'm lonesome without god.

You might consider reading Robert M Price if religious historical accuracy matters to you. I'm aware that many people just need for there to be a God of some kind in their life, & that's okay for people that need that. I'm more interested in truth than warm fuzzy feelings but to each his own.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator
I'm lonesome without god.

There are so many people and things that actually exist I don't understand the dilemma. 

I'm with Geezer and florduh on this one.

Shouldn't the existence of God be more important than getting into a cycle of needing a god?

I'd like dragons to exist, but I don't let it 'get to me' for want of a better expression.

• Like 1