Goodbye Jesus

Denial Of Reality Is Such A Powerful Force.

L.B.

Piggybacking on a thread where people are talking about a deconversion testimony and being at war with one's self.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard otherwise relatively nice, normal people say things like

"there was an area of sin in my life, and I was so afraid to come to god and confess it, but I realized when I did that god isn't angry; jesus took all our sin and god was angry at him for us, so I can come to god and he welcomes me with love".

The bible says that those who go on sinning are doomed. If they have been "saved" and then they go back to their sin, they are as bad off as before, but now they will be judged even more harshly than the first time.

Doesn't really jibe with the idea that jesus paid for your sins once and for all, does it?

Also doesn't sound like god is going to welcome them with love - all I read in the NT is god raging against those who have not obeyed him.

The bible is full of verses that tell us that god hates sin and avenges himself on sinners - then along comes jesus, and then one can still blow it and be found a hypocrite.

These deluded people, though, just keep telling themselves that god is happy for them to keep denigrating themselves in an effort to make god as important as possible in their lives.

Amazing how people can deny that the angry tribal god really hates them - they need, somehow, for the angry tribal god to be angry and loving at the same time. What a crock of shit to try to force one's self to believe.

• Like 3

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

This God is simply a projection of its believers.

• Like 1

Denial of reality is a byproduct of the mind clinging both to a hope of reward and a fear of harm. The promise of this invisible god is made to seem more real by the existence of groups of believers (congregations) with nice buildings and emotionally manipulative songs. When one views the apparent intimate spirit-love the people sing about, the tears of joy, the apparent compassion and warmth expressed towards newcomers, doubt gets shoved aside and people tend to sing along as though it were true. This goes on until the person feels a part of it all, without ever having encountered the god (though many of us will say we "felt" the love or the presence of god in these situations). The pretend is strong, and anything that makes the pretend seem more real is latched onto as evidence for a mind that could otherwise easily dismiss the whole thing as fantasy.

• Like 1

Jesus paid for your sins, now accept it or burn, burn in hell, burn in eternal damnation.

By the way Jesus loves you.

There are two primary Christian types in relation to this subject that I am aware of.

The ones who I call "fluffy duck" Christians. These are the ones that make God/Jesus to be the most kind loving thing you have ever heard of - basically they ignore 99% of the bible... hence the term fluffy duck - they just like a fluffy cuddly God. God loves ya'll and we all going to heaven. Hell is just a metaphor. The old testament is back then. Praise the lordy. Jesus loves you.

Then there are the fundies/literalist/sadistic Christians who acknowledge and REVEL in the wrathful God of Judgement of the Bible. These folk actually read the bible and seem to enjoy the brutality of it all because god said so, God is great, and what God says goes. These are the scary ones, cause if they end up in absolute power.. well we will all burn, burn in hell, burn in eternal damnation here on earth.

I find that the two groups are primarily made of people with two distinct personality types. The fluffy ducks are generally kinder, generous, non judgemental folks. The fundies are opposite of that.

Both deny true reality of that there is no real evidence of God.

When I fully accepted the reality there is no heaven or hell & the concept of sin only exists in religion it was like having a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. Heaven, Hell, & sin are tools required to indoctrinate & scare people. Heaven, Hell, & Sin are man made concepts that only exist in the minds of believers.

The bible says that those who go on sinning are doomed. If they have been "saved" and then they go back to their sin, they are as bad off as before, but now they will be judged even more harshly than the first time.

Doesn't really jibe with the idea that jesus paid for your sins once and for all, does it?

Yes, Ive heard this one before. As a Christian I adopted the idea that all sin, past present and future had to be wiped clean or else nobody could possibly get to heaven. :)

Yes, Ive heard this one before. As a Christian I adopted the idea that all sin, past present and future had to be wiped clean or else nobody could possibly get to heaven.

Oh, that's one that I've heard a milliondy-billiondy times if I've heard it once.

It amazes me that there can be clear, concise statements in the bible that totally contradict the popular theology of any given group, but they manage somehow to convince themselves and one another that there's a loophole if one understands the bible "correctly".

I'd love to see some schmuck try that with a cop sometime over a speeding ticket. "But, Officer; you're misinterpreting the law. You have to understand the whole story before you can just take one statute and apply it to every situation. 35 MPH doesn't really mean 35 MPH.

I know that's what the sign said, and I know you can quote all kinds of statutes from your book, but you need to look at other statutes together with that one. Understand that the judge is only going to accuse me until he announces that he's already paid my fine and served my time for me.

He knew that I would speed while drunk with a bag of blow in my lap and an underage boy in the passenger seat. The judge loves me and couldn't possibly condemn me for doing something his law-book says not to do."

• Super Moderator

The similarity of religion and politics is staggering.