Goodbye Jesus

Some Atheist Youtube Erst Seriously Disgust Me.

jenovaswitness

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/barrierbreaker/religions-not-male-dominated-but-only-the-women-in-muslim-countries-are-oppressed-and-other-nonsense-from-the-amazing-atheist/

I left christianity to escape the kind of sexism spewed by so many young male atheists. The fact that I still have to deal with it from people who are supposed to know better honestly makes me want to die. The amazing atheist is really just a human trashpile, no better than my abusive former pastor.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/barrierbreaker/religions-not-male-dominated-but-only-the-women-in-muslim-countries-are-oppressed-and-other-nonsense-from-the-amazing-atheist/

I left christianity to escape the kind of sexism spewed by so many young male atheists. The fact that I still have to deal with it from people who are supposed to know better honestly makes me want to die. The amazing atheist is really just a human trashpile, no better than my abusive former pastor.

Why would you leave Christianity to escape sexism from certain atheists?

How many of the millions of male atheists have demonstrated this "sexism" to you personally?

Why would you leave Christianity to escape sexism from certain atheists?

How many of the millions of male atheists have demonstrated this "sexism" to you personally?

I mean to say that the sexism in Christianity drove me away and I am disgusted to find so much sexism in the atheist community. Much of my interaction with other atheists has been via the online community, and many of those atheists display the same sexist tendencies I experienced in church.

I understand what you meant now.

I don't agree with some of AA's views on feminism and rape, but he has criticized Jesse Peterson and Todd Akin's "legitimate rape" comments, and defended abortion rights. What makes him a human trashpile?

• Like 1

I don't agree with some of AA's views on feminism and rape, but he has criticized Jesse Peterson and Todd Akin's "legitimate rape" comments, and defended abortion rights. What makes him a human trashpile?

I admit that I may have indulged in some hyperbole but to leave an environment known for its disregard for women's rights only to be met with someone trying to tell me that sexism in this country is pretty much over so stop whining is frustrating beyond words.

Give that first article a read. Taa maintained in it that religion is not male-dominated, and he really seems to have it out for feminists from what I've been able to stomach of his videos

Hi Jenovaswitness

I hope I don't come across too harsh, but I feel certain things could do with some perspective.

First, unless it's happening in real life from atheists you actually associate with then there should be no need to "deal with it". Unless TAA has your number or house address there is nothing to deal with. It's your choice to watch his videos. My advice is to stop watching anything that upsets you to the point that "honestly makes me want to die". 

Second, just because atheists are not religious doesn't mean that they aren't human. They will still have all the flaws of humans. That's why I stopped watching TAA. I found that most of his stuff was angry ranting, not particularly helpful all in all.

There are many great youtubers on atheism out there, don't let a few off the rails types bring you down.

(I recommend Darkmatter2525, Jaclyn Glenn, and alley43 for a start.) 

• Like 1

TJ (TheAmazingAtheist) is a bit of an asshole, yes, but overall, I share Lilith's view. The guy is an opponent of what he perceives as any kind of irrational, religiousy bullshit, certain political ideologies included. One of these is radical feminism, so I guess he comes across as more aggressive than he might be in reality. Remember, being a sarcastic asshole sorta IS his thing.

I read most of the article, JW. Not agreeing with feminism makes someone a bad person? This is the kind of thing that turns a lot of atheists against feminism - not just being neutral or disagreeing with it, but actively speaking out against it: the idea that anyone who doesn't think there is a patriarchy in the West and doesn't believe American women are oppressed hates women. My guess about why he doesn't discuss women's rights much is that he feels it would be beating a dead horse. In earlier videos, he spent a good deal of time talking about racism against black people, but recently has been getting into racism against white people and BLM's behavior. To me, this signals he thinks the tide has turned (or his views have changed) and now believes that anti-white racism is more relevant in the current culture than anti-black racism. Because he has occasionally defended women, I think that a similar thing is going on with his attitude towards them and feminism.

Also, he's said on several occasions that his ranting is meant to entertain people. Probably a good deal of the hatred is played up for that purpose.

Can you give other examples of what makes him such a terrible person?

• Like 2

Title is supposed to say Youtubers but my phone is an idiot.

Also:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/barrierbreaker/the-amazing-atheist-tells-his-followers-vote-for-trump/

I think the others have made good points so I'll leave that to them. As for this article, TJ has a bet with his brother over who will win this shitshow of an election, obviously he has money on Trump. He doesn't actually think Trump is a good presidential candidate, and he doesn't like Trump or Clinton, at all. I think he has made that pretty clear in his videos on the subject, and I can't help but share the sentiment. But don't take my word for it, feel free to listen to what TJ actually has to say. If it really is that big of a deal to you, maybe you shouldn't rely on obviously biased sources to tell you what someone else, that your source doesn't like, is saying.

The only thing I am guaranteed to agree with TJ on is censorship. Any threat to free speech, no matter where it is coming from, is absolutely intolerable. Especially if what is being said is unpopular, or is something someone, myself included, might find offensive.

And while I do find him entertaining, I don't really agree with him for the most part politically. Socially, I tend to agree with him on some issues, others not so much. But I don't think there is any objectively right political position anyone should or can take, so I can't really fault him, or anyone else, for not thinking the same thing I do on any given subject.

Whatever happened to live and let live?

Outsider - great points there, especially freedom of speech. There is at least one thing I agree with Milo Yiannopoulos on. He said:

"This is why its not just important to give platforms to ordinary speech, its important to give platforms to all speech, because sunlight is the best disinfectant, and the best way to deal with people you don't agree with is the full glare of the spotlight"

In all reality we find that we agree on somethings with some people, and disagree on others. There is degrees of how much you agree with a person, but nobody agrees 100% with another person 100% of the time, on every issue under the sun.

• Like 1

"Atheist YouTuber says we don’t need second- or third-wave feminism…because religion isn’t male-dominated"

That article title is misleading hyperbole.

I immediately checked whether TAA really said that. And yeah, he did, in a list of things at 3m55s into his video. It is a weak point in that list, but why the hell do they make an article title out of it as if that were some of the main points in the video? That is petty. As is the rest of that article. Hypocritical, too. Exemplarily so.