Goodbye Jesus

So All We Want Is Escape?

Voice

Netflix is nothing but escape. Fantasy, fiction, romances, does anything face reality?

Who is Joseph Campbell's hero? What is Christ the ultimate hero?

Enter fundamentalist rapture (escapist) doctrine and TV evangelists preaching it.

What exactly is reality when no hero saves the 15% suffering ultimate poverty? The next 50% right behind them? Who is the hero? Is there a hero? 

Successful authors tell me I'm supposed to write about a hero.

So we can escape reality. Great. This is bullshit and I don't like it.

Humanity, I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to find reality and make sense!

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

You seem to be right about pre-trib rapture doctrine being escapist ideology. One which easily plays to comfortable middle class American Christians who don't quite care enough that for their "brethren" overseas, and many others tribulation is not a future event to be escaped from but present reality. Not to mention that a potential real apocolypse they know is coming, but pretend is something completely different that they don't want any responsibility for doing anything about is on the horizon. Only humanity can sort out humanity's mess, their god will not help them by beaming them up like Scotty.

You seem to be right about pre-trib rapture doctrine being escapist ideology. One which easily plays to comfortable middle class American Christians who don't quite care enough that for their "brethren" overseas, and many others tribulation is not a future event to be escaped from but present reality. Not to mention that a potential real apocolypse they know is coming, but pretend is something completely different that they don't want any responsibility for doing anything about is on the horizon. Only humanity can sort out humanity's mess, their god will not help them by beaming them up like Scotty.

That's what bothers me. End times Christians don't have to do anything about the environment or whose finger is on the nuclear button because it will all be over soon anyway.

• Like 1