Goodbye Jesus

Narnia

TheRedneckProfessor

I have never read Narnia (nor seen an entire movie) so sorry for being late to the party, but... Shit, that part about Susan? I guess it goes to show that Christianity want us to remain as children forever.

I sure have heard a lot of preaching about how we need to be child-like in faith.

I agree.

lurkers. I present the champion of Christ here on ex-c.

A weighty argument as usual, full of logic and well-thought reason.

Dodging the hard questions to lead all to a simpler faith.

Well, does IH "agree" that (i) he has "heard a lot of preaching about how we need to be "child-like" in faith", (ii) we need to be "child-like" in faith or (iii) something else?

I don't know.  I suspect Ironhorse doesn't know either and doesn't realize his lazy response is not clear.  This is evidence of how his laziness can cause communication problems.

I have never read Narnia (nor seen an entire movie) so sorry for being late to the party, but... Shit, that part about Susan? I guess it goes to show that Christianity want us to remain as children forever.

I sure have heard a lot of preaching about how we need to be child-like in faith.

I agree.

Why?

Jesus meant for us to accept these teachings in simplicity. The same as children believe what their fathers and mothers tell them. A person could spend a lifetime trying to prove God is real or trying to dismantle and realign the scriptures to fit his or her personal views, but the bottom line is it must be simply accepted as a child trusts his parents.

I agree.

Why?

Jesus meant for us to accept these teachings in simplicity. The same as children believe what their fathers and mothers tell them. A person could spend a lifetime trying to prove God is real or trying to dismantle and realign the scriptures to fit his or her personal views, but the bottom line is it must be simply accepted as a child trusts his parents.

I don't understand how I could. Believing my mom's words about myself and the world made me severely ill in the mind. Dad wasn't there when I was small. I do trust my dad now but it's between adults, not a dad and a kid. Then there was the occasion that I nearly died learning my "jesus christ" was not what I thought at all. So basically my ability to trust "like a child" is damaged and being told to do so reminds me of the horrors that I went through.

• Super Moderator

For many individuals, mistrust of authority, particularly that of parents, follows well into adulthood as a result of childhood trauma.  This mistrust can be compounded by the realization that a parent or guardian has been manipulative or abusive.  This is why the "father" image of god often fails to bring comfort; and why the "child-like" acceptance of an authoritarian assertion is regarded as both slavish and detrimental to the development of a healthy and well-rounded person. 

I agree.

Why?

Oh... you must mean the same way that Adam trusted God in his child-like simplicity, Ironhorse.

And God told Adam the truth, when He said that on the day he ate the fruit of a certain tree, he'd die.

Yet Adam lived for over 900 years.

It's a bitch when children wise up to the lies of their parents!

I agree.

Why?

A child trusts their parents only insofar as they don't have the knowledge or experience to challenge them. Once a  child grows up they begin to understand reality and to question things previously taught by parents as true. A classic example is Santa Claus or the tooth fairy. Once a child realizes that his/her parents are not correct all the time, then every time they are told something it is evaluated in reference to what the child has learned or perceives as reality.

So when I read that God answers prayer, and we only need have faith to move mountains, and I pray for my friends fingers to be put back but they aren't, I begin to question. As should any sane, reasoning person. Reality doesn't line up with whats written in the Bible, and doesn't give two hoots about it either. Reality is the rod by which all things should be measured.

I agree.

Why?

This is simply more evidence of Ironhorse's childhood, young adult and adult religious indoctrination.  I would also not be surprised if this comports with the peer pressure he is surrounded with from those in his chosen religious cult.

I suspect much of the Bible, as well as reality, must be ignored before one can put forth such a sophomoric statement.

This also ties in to another of Ironhorse's behaviors.  On occasion, he clearly states that certain "other" Biblical interpretations are not correct, claiming that his interpretation is correct, and further implying that his is the one and only interpretation that is correct.  I've come to believe that those that preadh only "one way" to [fill in the blank] are, at their core, selfish, among other things.

So I now add the descriptor "selfish" to Ironhorse's behavior.  This is added to the other identified descriptors for him...empty, shallow, myopic, cowardly, intellectually dishonest and (now) selfish.

Ironhorse wrote...

"Jesus meant for us to accept these teachings in simplicity.  The same as children believe what their fathers and mothers tell them.  A person could spend a lifetime trying to prove God is real or trying to dismantle and realign the scriptures to fit his or her personal views,  but the bottom line is that it must be simply accepted as a child trusts his parents." 

So why did you (allegedly) spend two years skeptically appraising your Christian faith..?

When you are now saying that what Jesus taught must be accepted by... child-like trust..?

You can't have it both ways, friend.

If you accepted Jesus' teachings with a child-like trust, then you must have been lying to us in 2015 about your skeptical appraisal.

Or, if you did make a properly skeptical appraisal, then you must have been lying to us yesterday, about accepting Jesus like a child.

Which is it?

Do tell.

Ironhorse,

If you accepted Jesus' teachings with a child-like trust, then you must have been lying to us in 2015, when you said you performed a skeptical appraisal of your Christian faith. 

Or, if you did make that skeptical appraisal, then you must be lying to us in this thread, when you say that Jesus' teaching must be simply accepted with child-like trust.

These two things cannot both be true about you.  It's one or the other.  Either you were skeptical and disbelieving of Jesus or you believed and simply trusted him.

Which was it?

Do tell.

Ironhorse,

If you accepted Jesus' teachings with a child-like trust, then you must have been lying to us in 2015, when you said you performed a skeptical appraisal of your Christian faith. 

Or, if you did make that skeptical appraisal, then you must be lying to us in this thread, when you say that Jesus' teaching must be simply accepted with child-like trust.

These two things cannot both be true about you.  It's one or the other.  Either you were skeptical and disbelieving of Jesus or you believed and simply trusted him.

Which was it?

Do tell.

(Bump!)

A copy of the above message has just been posted directly to Ironhorse's Inbox.

Unless he has me on ignore or treats my messages as spam, he will be aware that I've just PMed him.

I patiently await his reply here.

Ironhorse,

Which was it?

Do tell.

(Bump!)

(Re-bump!)

A copy of the above message has just been posted directly to Ironhorse's Inbox.

Unless he has me on ignore or treats my messages as spam, he will be aware that I've just PMed him.

I patiently await his reply here.