Goodbye Jesus

Should The Overweight And Smokers Be Denied Treatment For Ill Health

Castiel233

Not only did I NOT say that I had been discriminated against because of smoking, I NEVER even said I smoked in the first place.

Should I be discriminated against simply because I enjoy the effects of tobacco in a variety of forms? Shit, if you truly understood how fragile and precarious your own life is, you'd have a good smoke, too.

To be honest TRP when I read this I thought it implied you smoked as well. Maybe I'm just not smart enough to pick up its a rhetorical question. Reading the post at face value certainly seems to imply (at least to me, and possibly to Lilith from what she's said) that you smoked and were defending smokers.

It wasn't until later on in the conversation when you started talking about addiction and I began to understand the topic from that perspective did I back down on my previous position. Even then, until you recently clarified your post, I still thought you smoked and had trouble with addiction.

My point is maybe Lilith did misunderstand as she said? I certainly did.

I admitted to misunderstanding your intention, and you respond by continuing to tell me that you know better than I do what I'm thinking. I'm surprised, TRP.

Your post on the first page mentioned discrimination, and I've been attempting to get an explanation of what you think discrimination against smokers would be. I think I understand now, though: you believe smokers should be able to give themselves cancer by smoking, get a transplant ahead of people who haven't willfully made a habit of contributing to their illness, and continue to smoke despite their privilege because they have an addiction. Have I misinterpreted your meaning?

You've said you've "provided ample reasons why 'choice' is not a valid argument in favor of discrimination against addicts." Again: I never said addicts can overcome physiology. I'm saying they need to get treatment instead of continuing their habit and then expecting identical treatment to non-smokers. I asked for clarification of "discrimination." I'm not trying to trick you, but at this point, repeating that is useless.

Marriage has nothing to do with this. One person marrying doesn't prevent others from doing so, but an organ that is given to one person can't be given to another. That's my point: that people who abuse their transplants have taken them from others who would benefit from them without mistreating them. And no, anti-gay people really do want to deny marriage licenses to gays. This is comparing unlike things.

• 3 weeks later...

No – If they pay for it themselves, then getting treatment is their right. If they've been made to pay taxes for it, then getting treatment is their right. Either way, it's their right.

Should people who eat well, exercise, and generally live a healthy lifestyle pay more in taxes to pay for their extended use of Social Security? It is a lifestyle choice that costs everyone else more money. Right?

• Like 3