Goodbye Jesus

Door Knockers.. Mormons?

TippyToe

So two girls just knocked on my door.... don't know how they got in the building but oh well. 

I know i should have probably turned them away, but i was bored. 

they read their booklet out to me and started banging on about The heavenly mother? 

I asked them what denomination they were and if they were christian. They were kind of vague and said they believe in the bible, but there are too many 'versions of the story'. I'm pretty sure they were Mormons but it was a bit weird that they weren't honest about it? 

other Mormons i have come across are typically in suits and stop you in the street so i'm not too sure! 

Anyhow they asked me if i wanted to be part of Gods kingdom and i said no, when asked why i briefly told them a few reasons why i find the bible horrific, they were nice girls so i wasn't rude to them.

I know they will return, which i don't mind really, but has anyone got any tips on things to say to them, to challenge them etc?

They don't sound like Mormons. They sound more like some kind of fringe religious group. I can't imagine what purpose would be served to sit down and study with them. I wouldn't want them in my house.

• Like 1

nah i know, i have no intention of sitting down and 'studying' with them.

They seemed quite young and sheltered, doing  door to door job in bloody freezing conditions. 

as i say they were nice and have been indoctrinated, just like a lot of people here were. 

idk, i just thought it might be of value to engage in some sort of discussion. 

i wish atheists had been more forthcoming with me when i was christian is all.

Tell them to read The Bible Unearthed, or Who Wrote the Bible.. or both.

Hopefully that'll make them think about their precious bible.

As far as a discussing, possibly asking them why they believe what they believe is a good road to start down? Get to the core. Then you can gently explain well hey your foundation of belief is built on quicksand.

Tell them to read The Bible Unearthed, or Who Wrote the Bible.. or both.

Hopefully that'll make them think about their precious bible.

As far as a discussing, possibly asking them why they believe what they believe is a good road to start down? Get to the core. Then you can gently explain well hey your foundation of belief is built on quicksand.

Thanks, yeah you're right, the easiest place to start is usually at the beginning. When talking to religious people, i have so many different points in my head that barely come out with any particular structure, meaning i'm probably not usually that convincing.

also could you tell me who wrote 'who wrote the bible'? haha, i'd be interested in reading that myself 

If they are Jehovah's Witnesses, just tell them that if they enter your house, they are required to say the pledge of allegiance.  That is a BIG NO NO to JWs. 

Thanks, B.O. I'm gonna do that next time they come visit me. Hand on heart...I pledge allegiance...haha

Grab a copy of A Manual For Creating Atheists, by Peter Boghossian. It's all about your question. He shows readers how to plant seeds of doubt without direct challenges. The latter are unlikely to succeed, but by questioning the thought process behind the beliefs progress can be made.

They weren't Mormons, Mormons only send boys unless that's recently changed, and they will tell you who they are. They talk about heavenly father, not heavenly mother.

Sounds like they are a new fringe cult. 

I had some Mormon boys show me their video a few years back just to humor them. It was a cartoon and very strange. After, they asked me what I thought and I told them I'm a little shocked that an adult can believe this. They were friendly about it, but I wasn't bothered further. 

If they are Jehovah's Witnesses, just tell them that if they enter your house, they are required to say the pledge of allegiance.  That is a BIG NO NO to JWs. 

hahaha! Seeing as i live in the UK, that would be doubly confusing.

TippyToe, I assume your interest in "cults" in your description there refers to a fascination with cults, and not actually joining them? :)

TippyToe, I assume your interest in "cults" in your description there refers to a fascination with cults, and not actually joining them? smile.png

Pahahah, that made me laugh. Yes you assume correctly.... unless it was the 'Let's all have a wicked time and chill cult'. Otherwise i steer well clear :) 

• Like 1

There are 2 reasons to engage in these conversations.

1.  To sharpen your debating skills.

2.  To plant a seed of doubt in the other party's mind.

May I suggest using the Socratic Method to deconstruct their arguments one piece at a time.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socratic_method

• 2 weeks later...

Mormons will wear name tags.   I did see a couple of females in black skirts and mormon name tags walking into Chipotle a while back in Fargo.   Missionaries?