Goodbye Jesus

About My Dog, Daisy

LifeCycle

This past weekend I was in the woods as I am much during this time of year (avid bowhunter) and received a phone call while in the tree stand from my wife... "Daisy is not acting right." My heart sank, "What's wrong?" "She fell over and started kicking and turned her head and then bit me as she was trying to bite her lower leg." Confused, I didn't know how to respond and then it hit me... I'm not ready for this, I will never be ready for this. You see, Daisy is my little kid. My little 7 pound bundle of joy. She was a gift to my wife on Christmas in 2001 but it turns out, the greatest gift was one that I gave another that has surprisingly, given me so very much in return... Yeah, she's 15, but outside the bad hearing and the poor eyesight, she's healthy as an Ox - or so we thought. Yeah, that's a long time to share life with anyone but it's never long enough when you truly love them with everything that composes you as human. So, they think she had a seizure... We aren't sure but what I've found is that it could be an anomaly. Some dogs will have one and never have another. I'm hopeful that's the case here. But it's an abrupt and sober reminder that Daisy is older. I guess, there's been an element of denial due to her great health and her old chipper self. Snarky at times and full of life while she traverses the house just for fun (we call it, getting her steps in :). It has made it easy to pretend we're still early in this long journey, I guess....

But, I love her like she's human. The value and beauty she gives my life and my wife's is something we cherish beyond what I could have ever fathomed. We don't have kids, but we have Daisy. Here's to hoping that this was all just a bad dream and we still have a few years ahead. I'll never be ready. It'll never be easy, but I just don't want it to be now. 

I went home for lunch and checked on her. She's fine. Sleeping in her bed and waiting for us to arrive home from work. I put some treats in front of her for when she awakens. But, if you could, send some positive thoughts this way and towards our Daisy. We need her a bit longer, as long as her life is joyous and pain free. We need her.

Patiently awaiting the test results from the vet visit yesterday... Staying positive.

Thank you

• Like 6

• Super Moderator

I hope it was one of those isolated episodes that won't happen again. It's scary, but don't forget how lucky she is to have you regardless of how it goes at the vet. Fingers and everything else crossed here.

Hi Lifecycle

I understand you completely. I had a work dog and he got kicked in the head by a cattle beast. Forever after that he would have seizures if he worked too hard so I had to be careful. The boy was so keen he'd keep trying to work while having a seizure. Makes me tear up thinking about him. (RIP Hank).

I trust things will go well with Daisy. It's so sad to know that we humans outlive our best and most loyal friends and baby's. 15 years with no major problems is a good innings. Here's hoping for a few more.

All the best

LF 

• Like 1

Thank you, both! That reminds me. My wife told me she hit her head pretty hard trying to climb up to the couch the day before... Fell backward and hit her head on the wood floor. :( Maybe that was it? Sorry to hear about Hank, he sounds like an awesome little companion. 

And you're right about how we outlive our best and most loyal friends. Just doesn't seem right, does it? I hope Universe 2.0 has all the kinks worked out and the heartache and suffering we feel now is something we'll just read about instead. Yeah, the cosmos could definitely improve things.

• Like 1

I'd probably die of grief if something happened to my alsatian. Really shitty news bro :(

May the pagan dog gods watch over her! 

• Like 1

I'd probably die of grief if something happened to my alsatian. Really shitty news bro sad.png

May the pagan dog gods watch over her!

Aww you have a GSD. wub.png I have a White Swiss Shepherd which are bred from white GSD lines.

• Like 1

LifeCycle, My girl and her husband just went through the exact same thing with their 12 year old dog a few days ago. They were devastated.  He is still in the hospital and the blood tests came back today and they were good. The vet explained to them that it may just be a one time seizure (It scared the hell out of them) and that it does happen to older dogs.  You are never ready to lose a fur person. I said goodbye to the last of my 3 cats that i had for 18 years. He died 3 months ago and am still down in the dumps. They are so precious to us. I really hope with all my heart that Daisy lives for much longer. Give your best lovin...which it sounds like you are already doing. She is lucky to have you. Best to you my friend. Fingers crossed that Daisy may remain healthy.

Big (hug)

Pets are, in a way, closer to us than other people. Pets just accept us the way we are, without judgment. And they are amazingly forgiving. The only creature on this planet that never gave me any flack was my dog. Hope you get many more years of comfort and companionship from Daisy.

• Like 2

.... when it is Daisy's time sounds as though you two are the kind to let her go with dignity.

Hope you've got more than a few years left with your lil hound.

kevinL

Hey Lifecycle,

As a dog-lover I've been there and know how it feels. I really hope that Daisy is with you for a good while yet. The most important thing is that her life has been filled with love and not too many living creatures are so lucky.

I wish you, your wife and Daisy the very best. I'm glad you're part of our community.

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for the kind words. Tests are back and they are mostly normal! The abnormal stuff such as high sodium and a low something else, my doctor thinks are due to just bad tests. He's seen it before and is going to run them again... Regardless, those things may indicate some ailments but he doesn't think those things are connected to what we witnessed. So, that's certainly a positive step in the right direction! 

Last night she was completely herself. Walking around the house, asking for treats, jumping up on the couch, getting down, walking around some more, getting on the couch with us again and napping and then asking for more treats. Haha, crazy to think how much joy those things add to your life. Life really is about the simple things isn't it?  :)

Again, thank you for the thoughts and words of support. Very much appreciated.

• Like 5

Hey LC, have you thought about getting another dog while you still have Daisy?  When our Rex (a corgi mix) was 9, we got puppy Ralphie (a poodle mix).  When we said goodbye to Rex just short of his 15th birthday, it really did help to have Ralphie to come home to.  No dog can take the place of another, any more than any person can replace another, but it did help us.  Now that Ralphie is a healthy 12-year-old, we have Reilly, a three-year old Yorkie.  Also having two dogs is good in other ways:  the young one keeps the older one younger and more playful, and the alpha dog teaches the pup to know her place.  It's also a joy to watch them playing together!

Glad to hear Daisy is doing well!

• Like 1

Hey LC, have you thought about getting another dog while you still have Daisy?  When our Rex (a corgi mix) was 9, we got puppy Ralphie (a poodle mix).  When we said goodbye to Rex just short of his 15th birthday, it really did help to have Ralphie to come home to.  No dog can take the place of another, any more than any person can replace another, but it did help us.  Now that Ralphie is a healthy 12-year-old, we have Reilly, a three-year old Yorkie.  Also having two dogs is good in other ways:  the young one keeps the older one younger and more playful, and the alpha dog teaches the pup to know her place.  It's also a joy to watch them playing together!

Glad to hear Daisy is doing well!

Yes, I've thought about it and I think it's a good thing for many... But with Daisy I don't think it would be. She doesn't really do well around other dogs. And I just fear it would break her heart. 

• 2 weeks later...

LifeCycle,

After reading your post, I was relieved to hear that Daisy is doing well. As a dog lover, I know how you and your wife felt during the time of uncertainty.

There and Back Again has made a very good point. May I suggest that you find out if fostering a dog from your local pet adoption center / shelter is allowed. It might be a way to introduce Daisy to a "new friend" without the obligation to keep the dog permanently. I think maybe Daisy's objection to other dogs is something that can be minimized, After all, all dogs have a built in pack mentality and are happier, I think, when they have companionship with others of their own species. Of course, I suppose some dogs can never adapt to another dog in the house but it might be worth a try.

For the past few years, my wife and I  have fostered maybe a dozen dogs until they found a forever home. The experience has been rewarding and healthy for us and our two adoptive dogs. For one thing, it has broadened and matured our overall understanding and acceptance of...the LifeCycle. We have fostered a couple of old and abused dogs that would never have found homes. But they finally found another human being that gave them care and love, if even for a short time. Taking care of these old dogs has been one of the most rewarding experiences of our lives. They returned that love a hundred fold. It was very hard to watch them decline physically to where they had no pleasure in living. It was even harder to do what was necessary and humane and let them go. After each one, I told myself that I'd never foster another old dog. It was just too painful to let go of them. But the redeeming factor is this: we have the peace and pleasure that comes from helping and loving these creatures that no one else cared about. So we press on. 

The best to you, your wife, and your precious Daisy.

• Like 3

Update: Daisy is doing well. There have been no more episodes and we've bought a webcam and can watch and listen to her while we're both away. Due to her poor vision she's found herself in a few tight spots and has gotten stuck... So, we bought a playpen where she will be much safer. But as for her health... She seems to be doing really well. We're both very happy about that. :)

Thanks again for the all the positivity and kind words. It helped immensely. 

• Like 2

That's great news Lifecycle.