Goodbye Jesus

And They Wonder

Guest end3

• Super Moderator

Can ego be measured?

So, it's the ego trumping the intelligence that triggers you?  Not so much the groundless assertions?

The ego in error specifically...

Does it never occur to you that perhaps your ego gets the better of your intellect when you cling so tenaciously to your beliefs despite evidence and logical arguments which refute them?

The difference is I cling firmly to things we can't yet measure....

That's an interesting way of putting it, End.

In cosmology scientists made ultra-precise predictions about what they couldn't then measure - which were later confirmed when telescopes and satellites made the measurements.

However, these weren't faith-based predictions.

They were evidence-based predictions.

The latest major example was the LIGO facility measuring gravitational waves, about a century after Einstein predicted them.

https://www.ligo.caltech.edu/news/ligo20160211

• Super Moderator

Can ego be measured?

No, I don't believe it can....at this time.

In my experience, when I find a quality in another person that I hate, upon reflection, I quite often realize that I hate that particular quality in that particular person because I also express the same quality and hate myself for it.  A form of projection, I suppose.  Perhaps the same is true for you?

End.

May I ask why you cling firmly (by faith) to things that we can't yet measure...

...when there is so much evidence about things we can and have measured?

Things that don't need to be hoped for and that don't require you to have faith in?

Things that are real and concrete and which are amply supported by a wealth of evidence?

Why do you prefer what we don't know over what we do?

Latest FB installment from the Christian Prof....amazing.

Wow! Thirty seconds ago I heard a long-standing member of my congregation say, "I wouldn't vote for a woman for President, no matter who it is. A woman doesn't belong up there, no matter how smart she thinks she is."

As a minister of the Gospel, does this require some sort of response?

(Note: It was a woman speaking.)

Latest FB installment from the Christian Prof....amazing.

Wow! Thirty seconds ago I heard a long-standing member of my congregation say, "I wouldn't vote for a woman for President, no matter who it is. A woman doesn't belong up there, no matter how smart she thinks she is."

As a minister of the Gospel, does this require some sort of response?

(Note: It was a woman speaking.)

Is it just me or does anyone else read this like he has the definitive answer to women in leadership positions with respect to religion.....and this poor woman is off her rocker.

If the Bible is the inerrant word of God...

1 Timothy 2 : 11 - 15.

11 A woman should learn in quietness and full submission.

12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. 

13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 

14 And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. 

15 But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.

...then this is a no-brainer.

If...

• Super Moderator

What BAA said.

Yeah what BAA said.

Fundies have the Bible more correct than liberals. There is no room in the Bible for woman in any teaching position, or homosexuals at all. The Bible is very very clear on those two things. Any Christian who says otherwise is deluded.

If you says women preachers, priests etc are ok then the Bible is not inerrant.

I asked him what he would have said to her....he said he didn't know what God would have him say or do if anything.

This guy holds class at a well respected Christian University in my state.

I mean he was so taken back by her statement yet didn't have an opinion of his own? Not sure why he can't be honest. Blown up ego I gather.

I asked him what he would have said to her....he said he didn't know what God would have him say or do if anything.

I mean he was so taken back by her statement yet didn't have an opinion of his own? Not sure why he can't be honest. Blown up ego I gather.

You're on record as saying that the Bible is inerrant, End.

So please interpret 1 Timothy 2 : 11 - 15 inerrantly for us.

Go!

Go!

He made it sound like whatever opinion he had was "correct" and now he opted for the easy way out rather than voice his scholarly opinion. Just seems rather chicken shit to me...

Go!

He made it sound like whatever opinion he had was "correct" and now he opted for the easy way out rather than voice his scholarly opinion. Just seems rather chicken shit to me...

I didn't ask you about what he said, End.

I asked you to interpret 1 Timothy 2 : 11 - 15 inerrantly, for us.

Please do so.

End,

Before 2016 draws to an end (sorry, but couldn't resist the pun) would you please explain to us about 1 Timothy 2 : 11 - 15?

1.  Does this passage say that a woman should not become the POTUS, a position of authority over millions of men?

2.  Does this passage give the definitive Biblical answer to a woman's (silent and submissive) place in religious matters?

(Please remember to treat this passage as the inerrant word of God, when framing your responses.)

Thanks,

BAA.

End,

Before 2016 draws to an end (sorry, but couldn't resist the pun) would you please explain to us about 1 Timothy 2 : 11 - 15?

1.  Does this passage say that a woman should not become the POTUS, a position of authority over millions of men?

2.  Does this passage give the definitive Biblical answer to a woman's (silent and submissive) place in religious matters?

(Please remember to treat this passage as the inerrant word of God, when framing your responses.)

Thanks,

BAA.

I'm unclear BAA. Seemingly it implies that a woman should not be over men. Also, I don't think it is definitive. I truthfully am unclear with my feelings vs. the verses. My best guess is that the two genders together define a more complete answer.

• Super Moderator

I'd wager that most christians would also be unclear concerning their feelings vs. the verses if they ever actually bothered to read the verses. Scripture is clear, though: women have no business talking in church or having any kind of authority over men. Make a choice, End3--your morals, or your beliefs--which will it be?. It's time to pick a side.

End,

Thanks,

BAA.

I'm unclear BAA. Seemingly it implies that a woman should not be over men. Also, I don't think it is definitive. I truthfully am unclear with my feelings vs. the verses. My best guess is that the two genders together define a more complete answer.

Well you get a +1 from me for your honesty, End.

Would that another resident Christian were as honest with themselves and with us as you are!

• Like 1