Goodbye Jesus

I Finally Understand You, Christians.

L.B.

After years of youthful, innocent, naive gullibility...

...years of rebellion against what I believed to be a weapon of guilt wielded by my parents and other authority figures...

...and years of self-hating, self-imposed conformity to your stupid stories, during which I was maligned, mocked, discriminated against and ultimately set up to fail in a chosen career...

...I finally understand you, Christians. I finally get it.

You talk about being guilty of sin, and being responsible for offending God's holiness. You talk about how, outside of some miraculous rescue, you yourselves would be responsible for violating God's decrees.

Here's the thing, though: your ancestors made up this religion so they wouldn't have to be responsible - not to "God", but to the vast, unsearchable, uncontrollable, wild everything that is our universe.

See, if you have a god up there, and you have priests/ministers down here, then you have beings who can set, enforce and explain boundaries to the universe and what's in it and why it sometimes behaves like a little child bringing you a colored picture - and sometimes behaves like a rabid junkie who will kill on a whim.

Your ancestors were afraid of magic - yes, people, there is magic out there.

There is the magic of love, fear, hatred, attraction, lust, and all sorts of other intangibles that are not necessarily biological imperatives.

Your forebears lived out that magic under skies that thundered and sent lightning, under mountains that erupted in fire and lava, at the shores of vast seas that proved too powerful for their explorations and too deep for their lust for control over their great scope.

The real magic in the universe, however, is not able to be tamed. It is possible to recognize it and align oneself with one or another "stream" of emotion, of thought, of imagination,

It is not possible, however, to put a saddle and bridle on the vastness of all the things we cannot understand and assign them to the mysterious doings of some being that we cannot see and that does not reveal itself definitively.

The universe is wild, unpredictable and boundless. Your attempts to constrain its growth and its manic race across reality are silly and pathetic.

I finally get it, Christians. You want to be released from the responsibility of awe, of wonder, of scared-shitless, frozen-in-place amazement at the incredible madness we find ourselves tangled up with as we hurtle through space and live out the span of one ego trip or another.

You say you are amazed at your god, but you NEED your god precisely SO THAT you're NOT amazed at things. You can explain things away by attributing them to the inscrutable actions of an invisible friend in the sky who somehow has your individual best interests in mind at all times, as well as those of every other "TrueBeliever".

You say that you are humbled by what your god did, does and will do - but you are nothing of the sort. Your false humility is a way of (badly and insufficiently) masking your arrogance at the notion of what will happen to all your neighbors and co-workers and family members who don't believe as you do.

You say that you owe your life to god, but in fact, god owes "His" life to YOU - because He needs you in order for Him to exist, and you need Him in order to keep from admitting that things don't make any more sense for any length of time than they have to. Everything changes, everything is in flux, whether it's the characteristics of the natural world or our understanding of those characteristics.

I finally understand you, and I understand why the ancient "Fathers" had to either eliminate or assimilate the "pagan" belief systems out there. Their gods were too capricious and too variable. The symbology and the worship and the feasting of the people in the name of their deities was entirely too personal, undefined, random.

Your ancestors in your "faith" had to create a solid, concrete, unchangeable orthodoxy that would explain why they were right and everyone else was wrong. There could be no room for "I don't know" or "we don't need to know"... it had to be "I don't know, but Yahooey the great Sky Man knows", or "we don't need to know because Jeezus the Lord doesn't want to tell us".

The problem, of course, is that you can publish all the books you want... people are still going to default to what you call magic, superstition, irrationality when it comes to the mysteries of life, existence and the magnitude of the cosmos and our place in it.

I finally get you, Christians... and I pity you.

• Like 9

Bravo!!!! Well said and spot on! Christianity takes the fascination away. It falsely explains life's many questions. Unfortunately, the explanations are bullshit but Christians are satisfied. How did all the animals in the Ark breathe and not freeze to death if Mt Everest was covered in water? Magic!!!!

• Like 1

"You say you are amazed at your god, but you NEED your god precisely SO THAT you're NOT amazed at things. You can explain things away by attributing them to the inscrutable actions of an invisible friend in the sky who somehow has your individual best interests in mind at all times, as well as those of every other "TrueBeliever"."

Hmmmmm...

This would explain why so many xtians are also survivalists as well as absolute control freaks. They can't tolerate (are are afraid of) anything they cannot control. 

What a sad and boring whay to "live" !!

• Like 2

I finally get it, Christians. You want to be released from the responsibility of awe, of wonder, of scared-shitless, frozen-in-place amazement at the incredible madness we find ourselves tangled up with as we hurtle through space and live out the span of one ego trip or another.

Cryotanknotworthy.gif   Beautifully said.  I read this and got a shiver down My spine.

The magic you describe is real -- more real than their god will ever be.

• Like 1

Odin approves of this message.

220px-Georg_von_Rosen_-_Oden_som_vandrin