Lavendula

Good Kids' Book On Comparative Religion?

Lavendula    19

I bought this book recently: https://www.amazon.com/Usborne-Encyclopedia-World-Religions-Internet-linked/dp/0794527531/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485825501&sr=8-1&keywords=usborne+world+religions

But I went to read it through before I gave it to my daughter, just in case, and there's a fair bit that I think is too graphic - it talks about human sacrifice, including children, and the collecting of heads after battle by the Celts, etc. My younger daughter doesn't read yet and probably won't be interested, but my 7-year-old has been reading for four years and is always asking questions about religion etc. that I think, darn it, if that book wasn't so graphic I could just read a chunk of that with her.

So I'm wondering, does anyone happen to have a recommendation for a similar book that's more appropriate for a sensitive 7-year-old?

Thanks.

PLEASE EXCUSE THE ANNOYING COMMERCIAL BREAKS IN THE CONVERSATION:

As with everything these days, the cost of keeping the Ex-C forum up and running has been rising. Inflation? In part, but the primary reason is this: As participation in the forums grows, costs increase. The Ex-C forums will remain free of charge to everyone, but if you believe this little corner of the Internet provides value to you or others, and you feel inclined to help keep us online, please consider making a one-time donation or becoming a regular contributor. Contribution options appear under the "Upgrade" link above, and can be accessed by clicking here.

Oh, and as an incentive (no, you won't be given any bogus promises of eternal bliss), if you do become a regular contributor by signing up for any monthly or yearly patron package, this annoying ADVO will disappear.

And now, back to the regularly scheduled conversation...

Joshpantera    588

Maybe check this out: https://www.amazon.com/One-World-Many-Religions-Worship/dp/0679839305

I'm all for teaching kids about comparatively world religion. I was deprived of any real understanding of the rest of the world as a fundamentalist youth. All I knew were straw man assertions when it came to other peoples beliefs. Kids are smart. I've found that when I've broken down concepts like god and explained the Bible to my step daughters, they got it right away.

Lavendula    19

Thanks Joshpantera, I'll take a look at that one. Right now I'm right there with the introducing them to many religions being important, after 6 years of indoctrination by myself as well, since comparative religion and science feel like my two "weapons" against the continuing Christian fundamentalism influences on the kids right now. To keep those minds open.

TrueFreedom    909

I love Usborne books and read many to my kids when they were young.  I don't know about kids' books, but Joseph Campbell did phenomenal work on comparative mythology.

Joshpantera    588

Yes, Campbell is excellent. Although it's college level reading for the most part. 

That's a great idea though. Imagine writing a clever children's book that encapsulates Campbell's scholarship on a level that would be more understandable for children. 

Voice    225

I can't recommend any books, but what if you were to give her overviews and ask her if she thinks she's ready to see some of the gore the world has to offer? Kids are smarter than we give credit. She may just tell you if she's ready or not. If she says she is but isn't, perceive that and withdraw it.

Kids around the world see war first hand. It's reality, tragic and horrible as it is.

Lavendula    19

Thanks for the thoughts, Voice. I'm not sure if that is applicable for this book because it just mentions those things in passing anyway - so reading the fact that there has been child sacrifice performed by certain religions is reading that fact and then having it in your (somewhat photographic, in her case) memory. Taking the book away after that probably wouldn't make any emotional difference, if you know what I mean. I'm still on the search, though, for a more age-appropriate book, and will keep the current one for the future, because I do think it's very well done. I plan to hit a few bookstores this weekend.

Thanks again!

Lavendula    19

In case anyone else is interested, I found a good one - "What Do You Believe?" by DK Publishing.

• Like 1