Lavendula

Good Kids' Book On Comparative Religion?

7 posts in this topic

I bought this book recently: https://www.amazon.com/Usborne-Encyclopedia-World-Religions-Internet-linked/dp/0794527531/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485825501&sr=8-1&keywords=usborne+world+religions

But I went to read it through before I gave it to my daughter, just in case, and there's a fair bit that I think is too graphic - it talks about human sacrifice, including children, and the collecting of heads after battle by the Celts, etc. My younger daughter doesn't read yet and probably won't be interested, but my 7-year-old has been reading for four years and is always asking questions about religion etc. that I think, darn it, if that book wasn't so graphic I could just read a chunk of that with her.

So I'm wondering, does anyone happen to have a recommendation for a similar book that's more appropriate for a sensitive 7-year-old?

Thanks.

Thank you for your support
Buy Ex-C a cup of coffee!
Costs have significantly risen and we need your support! Click the coffee cup to give a one-time donation, or choose one of the recurrent patron options.
Note: All Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

Maybe check this out: https://www.amazon.com/One-World-Many-Religions-Worship/dp/0679839305

I'm all for teaching kids about comparatively world religion. I was deprived of any real understanding of the rest of the world as a fundamentalist youth. All I knew were straw man assertions when it came to other peoples beliefs. Kids are smart. I've found that when I've broken down concepts like god and explained the Bible to my step daughters, they got it right away.

Thanks Joshpantera, I'll take a look at that one. Right now I'm right there with the introducing them to many religions being important, after 6 years of indoctrination by myself as well, since comparative religion and science feel like my two "weapons" against the continuing Christian fundamentalism influences on the kids right now. To keep those minds open.

I love Usborne books and read many to my kids when they were young.  I don't know about kids' books, but Joseph Campbell did phenomenal work on comparative mythology.

Yes, Campbell is excellent. Although it's college level reading for the most part. 

That's a great idea though. Imagine writing a clever children's book that encapsulates Campbell's scholarship on a level that would be more understandable for children. 

I can't recommend any books, but what if you were to give her overviews and ask her if she thinks she's ready to see some of the gore the world has to offer? Kids are smarter than we give credit. She may just tell you if she's ready or not. If she says she is but isn't, perceive that and withdraw it.

Kids around the world see war first hand. It's reality, tragic and horrible as it is.

Thanks for the thoughts, Voice. I'm not sure if that is applicable for this book because it just mentions those things in passing anyway - so reading the fact that there has been child sacrifice performed by certain religions is reading that fact and then having it in your (somewhat photographic, in her case) memory. Taking the book away after that probably wouldn't make any emotional difference, if you know what I mean. I'm still on the search, though, for a more age-appropriate book, and will keep the current one for the future, because I do think it's very well done. I plan to hit a few bookstores this weekend.

Thanks again!