Goodbye Jesus

Telepathy With God

megasamurai

I would like to know how widespread is the belief that humans can telepathically communicate with god. I was chided when I was a believer because I could not hear god's voice. Everyone told me to ask god where to go college, what job to get, and who to marry, but I could not hear any voices guiding me. Apparently, the idea that you can telepathically communicate with god is mainly a Pentecostal idea, but are there any other forms of Christianity that believe this?

Hmm certainly my church does. We are non denominational, but have roots in first Baptist, then Pentecostal movements, so the idea that God speaks to you and reveals stuff to your mind has come through.

However in the Bible God did do telepathy, he came down and spoke! Burning bushes, the three who visited Abraham etc.

Who knows how many people "believe" it? The more relevant question might be, what valid evidence exists that proves such a thing is true? I'm assuming the answer to that question would be zero.

• Like 1

Based on my "personal experience" there is no evidence for Telepathy with an all knowing divine being. What people call telepathy is just their inner thoughts that they are then attributing to God speaking to them. If you are so inclined not to be sceptical then its easy to see why people would believe a thought of "Get saved or you are going to hell" to be from God as opposed to their subconscious popping up thoughts, probably in relation to a hidden fear of dying and going to hell.

People claim to talk to or hear from the dead, angels, demons, Elvis you name it. Do we believe them? Then why should we believe when someone claims God spoke to them without them providing sufficient evidence. I have a running personal test that a person claiming God speaks to them can tell me things that only I know. Has never happened.

• Like 2

I always assumed God "speaking" to people was more akin to people feeling things. If they truly hear someone speaking in their head, they should immediately see a professional.

• Like 1

It certainly seems to be a common doctrine from the posts I've read so far and yes, I am pretty aware of the fact that the messages from god are actually from human thoughts. I remember being terrified of the 9th chapter of Romans saying that hardens some people's hearts, thus dooming them to hell. I asked god if I was one of these people and got no answer.

You reminded me of some nonsense from childhood. I remember hearing that only god can hear your thoughts, not the devil. So I made sure to always offer silent inner mind prayers lest the devil hear what I was saying aloud and try and use my prayers towards the end of somehow deceiving me. I sure thought that I out smarted the trickster! 

Then I got to about 15 years old and realized one night during prayer, no I'm just talking to myself...

I was told that I was to pray before I make any decision. When I wanted to apply to Rice University, I was terrified of praying because I was worried god would say "I forbid you from going there." I knew for sure the voice in my head would say that because the voice in my head would say whatever I fear it would say. I was guaranteed to hear "I forbid you from going," but I'd be unable to tell if it was god's voice or not. I told my parents I didn't want to pray because I didn't want to hear him say no. If I were to defy god's will, I'd rather do it out of ignorance of his will. I got hell for telling them this.

I would like to know how widespread is the belief that humans can telepathically communicate with god. I was chided when I was a believer because I could not hear god's voice. Everyone told me to ask god where to go college, what job to get, and who to marry, but I could not hear any voices guiding me. Apparently, the idea that you can telepathically communicate with god is mainly a Pentecostal idea, but are there any other forms of Christianity that believe this?

Well , I think excuses are generally made by church members why Jesus doesn't appear in person like you or me and have a regular no-nonsense conversation with someone. Instead you have to pray and then try to figure out what (if anything) the response is.

During my time as a Christian, churchies seemed to indicate that communication with God was about the same as asking yourself a question and then coming back with your own answer or decision and then giving God the credit. And if your decision didn't work out then either God was now directing you to a different path or you didn't really 'hear' God's communication correctly.

This kind of bullshit allows people to continue to act as if God is really there helping them out when, most likely he is non-existent.

Based on my "personal experience" there is no evidence for Telepathy with an all knowing divine being. What people call telepathy is just their inner thoughts that they are then attributing to God speaking to them. If you are so inclined not to be sceptical then its easy to see why people would believe a thought of "Get saved or you are going to hell" to be from God as opposed to their subconscious popping up thoughts, probably in relation to a hidden fear of dying and going to hell.

People claim to talk to or hear from the dead, angels, demons, Elvis you name it. Do we believe them? Then why should we believe when someone claims God spoke to them without them providing sufficient evidence. I have a running personal test that a person claiming God speaks to them can tell me things that only I know. Has never happened.

Does your personal test cause doubts in the believer? Or is the 'dont put God to the test' clause invoked? :)

I was told that I was to pray before I make any decision. When I wanted to apply to Rice University, I was terrified of praying because I was worried god would say "I forbid you from going there." I knew for sure the voice in my head would say that because the voice in my head would say whatever I fear it would say. I was guaranteed to hear "I forbid you from going," but I'd be unable to tell if it was god's voice or not. I told my parents I didn't want to pray because I didn't want to hear him say no. If I were to defy god's will, I'd rather do it out of ignorance of his will. I got hell for telling them this.

Well, it's easy to tell the difference between your voice and God's voice. If the person you ask in church agrees with your decision and claims it must be God's voice, it must be God's voice. :) If that person doesn't like your decision then of course it wasn't God's voice. :)

Telepathy with God, eh?

One of my biggest peeves about the religion, and many others, of course.

Critties can utter the most insane, ridiculous, and preposterous things and, as long as they follow up with "god told me", we are not to question them. My wife does this on a regular basis but, especially in the presence of her little shadow (another religious fascist from her church), and the two of them feed on each other like you wouldn't believe!

One of these days, Morten, I going to lose my self control and say "do you two jackasses really think that god is talking to you? And, if so, I will immediately contact the guys in the Good Humor uniforms to come and haul your sorry asses to the loonie bin!!!"

Wendybanghead.gifWendybanghead.gifWendybanghead.gifWendybanghead.gifWendybanghead.gifWendybanghead.gif

Telepathy with God, eh?

One of my biggest peeves about the religion, and many others, of course.

Critties can utter the most insane, ridiculous, and preposterous things and, as long as they follow up with "god told me", we are not to question them. My wife does this on a regular basis but, especially in the presence of her little shadow (another religious fascist from her church), and the two of them feed on each other like you wouldn't believe!

One of these days, Morten, I going to lose my self control and say "do you two jackasses really think that god is talking to you? And, if so, I will immediately contact the guys in the Good Humor uniforms to come and haul your sorry asses to the loonie bin!!!"

Wendybanghead.gifWendybanghead.gifWendybanghead.gifWendybanghead.gifWendybanghead.gifWendybanghead.gif

Two can play at that game:

"God says you're full of shit." lol.

"God also said you should give me $100"

"God told me to skip church this year."

I find it odd how my mother wants me to pray to find a good woman as a wife, when she prayed and got a creep for her second husband. Did god tell her to marry a verbal abuser? If so, why should I ask him for advice?

Does your personal test cause doubts in the believer? Or is the 'dont put God to the test' clause invoked? smile.png

That clause is in perpetual and self-existing use at all times! :D

Its funny - when you try and explain God answering a prayer as having a natural explanation you get met with "I know it happened" "God did heal me" "You just don't want to believe"  and so on.

When God doesn't answer prayer all sorts of excuses are invoked: "I didn't have enough faith" "It wasn't Gods will" "God is testing and honing us for his glory" and so on.

Very rarely does someone go.. "Perhaps God doesn't exist..." (But when that does happen you get an Ex-C member :) )