Goodbye Jesus

did jesus say this

Castiel233

Did Jesus say to run people through with a sword, I thought this was in the Bible, but I can't find it online...........and it's bugging me?

• Super Moderator

Difficult question to answer, given that we don't even know for certain if jesus ever existed.  It does seem, though, that the gospels attribute a few comments concerning swordplay to jesus, if memory serves.

• Like 1

I think you may be thinking of the verses below:

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." Matthew 10:34

"But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me." Luke 19:27

However, unlike the Quran, it takes a lot of intentional misuse and ignoring the context to suggest that this is meant literally. In Matthew he is talking about how believing in Jesus would bring conflict and disagreement among family, and in Luke its a parable, not Jesus saying go kill people.

While I disagree with the bible, and think its all manmade, its important not to mis-characterize it like some atheists do.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

I think you may be thinking of the verses below:

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." Matthew 10:34

"But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me." Luke 19:27

However, unlike the Quran, it takes a lot of intentional misuse and ignoring the context to suggest that this is meant literally. In Matthew he is talking about how believing in Jesus would bring conflict and disagreement among family, and in Luke its a parable, not Jesus saying go kill people.

While I disagree with the bible, and think its all manmade, its important not to mis-characterize it like some atheists do.

You are a star, it was Luke 19:27, thank you so much. 

There are quite a few OT verses but I'm not aware of Jesus in the NT saying that.

I'm curious as well.