Goodbye Jesus

And Christians will say we didn't study......

Margee

I am cleaning out my house. I let go of several study bibles but I found this one tucked away in a closet and thought it was pretty interesting looking through it. So I took a couple of pictures to show you how much I loved my bible at one time. It showed me how much I really tried!  Anybody else's bible look like mine?

Click on pics to make them bigger.

1.jpg

20170301_220808 (640x360).jpg

• Like 4

All of a sudden I feel like I didn't try hard enough.... and we were taught it was wrong to mark gods holy word....

I'm a failure *sniff*

At least you know that anybody accusing you of not really being a believer and giving god a chance is dead wrong!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

All of a sudden I feel like I didn't try hard enough.... and we were taught it was wrong to mark gods holy word....

I'm a failure *sniff*

At least you know that anybody accusing you of not really being a believer and giving god a chance is dead wrong!

LF, I wanted to post these pictures to keep them here for proof!! Lol

And you are not a failure because you didn't mark up gods word!!! :woohoo:

You'll love this one. This is where the blood bath begins. I called it, ''The happy Ending''. :o :Doh: :banghead:

20170301_224021 (360x640).jpg

• Like 1

Just now, Margee said:

You'll love this one. This is where the blood bath begins. I called it, ''The happy Ending''. :o :Doh: :banghead:

20170301_224021 (360x640).jpg

Yeah, that's not what I like to think of when I think about a happy ending...  XD

• Like 1

I used to collect different bibles. This one is from the year July 31st, 1882. I kept it cause I thought it might be worth a lot of money to someone...... all gold pages!  :beer:

20170301_230747 (360x640).jpg

20170301_230926 (360x640).jpg

• Like 2

Old bibles that have inscriptions about who gave it to whom can be valuable historically. My wife started sleuthing names based on inscriptions in an old Bible and has found a family line going back to wealthy families in Pennsylvania and thereabouts, and on back into the 1600s.

• Like 2

Oh yeah I have a couple of bibles with pages like that. Even several study journals if I can find them LOL. Looks like your bible has a few more marks than mine did though. :-)

• Like 2

I had an NIV that looked like that, as well as an ESV and NKJV. Too bad I used them as kindling. Dont have any pictures. 

Although mine is not nearly as marked up as Margee's I do still mark it up...only with different intent.

Next time someone askes me why I feel there is a point in David's life were he killed - not because god told him to - but just because he was a sick twisted freak and loved other people's stuff, (Assuming he existed) I can SHOW them why!

• Like 1

On 3/1/2017 at 7:18 PM, Margee said:

I used to collect different bibles. This one is from the year July 31st, 1882. I kept it cause I thought it might be worth a lot of money to someone...... all gold pages!  :beer:

20170301_230747 (360x640).jpg

20170301_230926 (360x640).jpg

That's neat, Margee!

You should have it appraised.

• Like 1

I've spent more time, much more time and effort, studying the Christian religion after I abandoned and rejected it than before I abandoned and rejected it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sdelsolray said:

I've spent more time, much more time and effort, studying the Christian religion after I abandoned and rejected it than before I abandoned and rejected it.

Yeah. Me too.

I recon when you have the faith virus you don't WANT to know the truth.

• Like 1

I bought a very cheap bible during deconverting for the sole purpose of searching the scriptures to show the foolishness of the old testament. I was doing the opposite and marking all the horrible stuff in the bible and looking for all the reasons why I was leaving the faith of christianity. I starting circling with colored markers all the poisonous stuff from the bible but soon lost interest in this project. But I must say, I marked it up real good for completely different reasons than the original bibles that I had studied (and marked up) while belonging to the church. I threw it in the garbage one day because I had no intention of arguing this stuff with a believer anyway..... That would have been a waste of time and I didn't want to waste any more time with christianity at all.

• Like 3

Ah, yes, even though most Christians wouldn't believe it, the fact is that actually studying the Bible is one of the most common reasons for the existence of ex-christians. That's definitely what did it for me.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Citsonga said:

Ah, yes, even though most Christians wouldn't believe it, the fact is that actually studying the Bible is one of the most common reasons for the existence of ex-christians. That's definitely what did it for me.

It so funny Citsonga because when I was a christian I really avoided reading anything in the bible that I didn't understand and that would have been most of the old testament. If and when I would read Leviticus or other old testament stories, I just thought it was all part of gods plan which included all the stories. Then I figured, when we reached the book of Revelation and jesus came back to make this world 'right' once and for all, it was all part of his 'glorious' plan. :banghead:

I do remember thinking how incredibly strict he was (god) when I would read some of the horror stories in the O.T.. But I was one of the 'cherry pickers' back then and only scratched up my bible with all the stuff they preached on Sundays. My biggest questions back then as a christian was the book of Genesis (which I questioned a lot to the pastor) and that book was eventually the book (besides Ex-c) that helped deconvert me because it is so foolish.

• Like 2

^^ Kind of similar for me - with all the difficult stuff, I would tell myself that the Holy spirit will help me understand when the time is right. I didn't want anything to bring me down from the highs I got.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, yunea said:

^^ Kind of similar for me - with all the difficult stuff, I would tell myself that the Holy spirit will help me understand when the time is right. I didn't want anything to bring me down from the highs I got.

Ya know yunea, that is such a great statement that the holy spirit would help you to understand all things when the time was right. I remember other areas of my life that I felt the same way...that god and the holy spirit would would reveal all things for me to understand at exactly the right time!

And I think most fundamentalists churches can help the most depressed person in the world have the 'highest' feelings of hope. It sure did for me. One of those services could keep any 'down times' at bay for a good few days! That's why I do understand that millions of people would never give it up or even want to discover the truth about the bible. There were definitely benefits to believing in the invisible god..I'll always admit that. I sit here right now on Sunday night and remember so clearly how the evening service would start at 7 and we would all be soooo excited to see what god and the holy spirit had in store for the service that night. 

Yes, there are times when I wish I was still a believer......but I can't ever go back. I would always know the difference now......:(

• Like 3

I have a lot of bibles I need to throw away don't need them anymore

• Like 1

I never had to mark mine... admittedly, I have always had piss-poor study habits, but I've also got a memory like a steel trap. I could quote long passages verbatim from memory, and never failed to have an answer/argument/position when it came time to discuss the word.

When I was a kid, I used to wait and wait, hoping some preacher or another would feel compelled to preach on passages where they used words like "breasts" or "pisseth against a wall".

Alas, I knew my bible better than they did, and they always avoided all the stuff I knew was coming long before most other people at church did.

• Like 1

I've been known to study the bible ... I was looking for loopholes.

Casey

• Like 1

On 3/1/2017 at 6:26 PM, Margee said:

I am cleaning out my house. I let go of several study bibles but I found this one tucked away in a closet and thought it was pretty interesting looking through it. So I took a couple of pictures to show you how much I loved my bible at one time. It showed me how much I really tried!  Anybody else's bible look like mine?

Click on pics to make them bigger.

1.jpg

20170301_220808 (640x360).jpg

I learned Koine Greek and had invested thousands into the Logos Bible Software.  Basically had more Biblical knowledge and doctrinal knowledge than anyone in the Church.. which is why I ended up leaving.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, I underlined, then I liked bibles with wide margins for notes.  But I filled one up, so I got a journaling Bible.  Filled that up.  Even now, when I go to a group with my wife, I see the shallowness of some of the people in the class - these are people who have been in the church for years, but I suspect they haven't opened their Bibles much. Or at least, they haven't thought much about what they really believe and the implications of it.  Not stupid people, just people who go by what they are told and what they feel, people who "believe the Bible" but haven't read it enough to know what is really there.  But I don't rock the boat.

• Like 1

I didn't mark up my Bible as much as we see in Margee's pictures, but I did have some stuff noted in mine and I did spend a LOT of time "in the Word" and even memorized a lot of it. I remember the last time I counted how many verses I'd memorized I was almost at 900, and then I memorized a few more, so I probably went just a little over 900. Those verses included the entire books of Ephesians, James, and 1 John, and the entire "Sermon on the Mount" in Matthew, as well as a few other chapters and a lot of other random verses. It's been nearly 15 years since then, though, so most of that I couldn't recite now, but at that time I had all of that down pat and I had every intention of "internalizing" more and more of "God's Word" and continuing to "grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ."

• Like 1

Having long exited the rabbit hole and into reason you inspired me to dig out "that bible".  It took awhile to find it.  But, looking upon all of the underlines, notes in margins, arrows, and yellow highlighted text reminded me of the movie "A Beautiful Mind".  Clearly my own mental processes were just as mentally crazy as what the gentleman in the movie experienced.  Finding patterns that really were not there.  Connections that were not real.  Made my stomach sick to think I was that mentally crazy, and makes my mind hurt that I interact multiple times with other under the same dilusions. 

• Like 2