Goodbye Jesus

Hiya

Travi

I'm not even sure where to start with myself - maybe somewhere between a discombobulated mess and a guy who is trying to get his life together in some form. Born and raised in a black hole known as Kentucky - if you never heard of it, look in the 1950s. This state is so ass backwards, it isn't even funny anymore. Been deconverted officially since 2009, when I left the ministry a year following the death of my best friend. My causal for turning my back was the fact that the scriptures lied in saying that anyone with the faith of a mustard seed, their prayers would be answered. I prayed for best friend to be spared; he was not.

I'm generally easy to get along with, and have very few hardline stances on anything. I'm a firm middle of the roader on the political spectrum, am a fanatic self improver, and a bit cynical to boot. Very active in martial arts (Shaolin Kempo), and enjoy being active in general when my health permits it, and am just trying to carve a path in this journey we walk. I deal with depression quite often, a lot of self doubt (that interferes with my improvement), and many sleepless nights where I wonder about the status of my life, the past mistakes I look to not repeat, and the future which holds so much uncertainty. I try not to let it drag me down on most days, but some are tougher than others. Some days I wish I could pass away quietly. Other days, I have enough energy to power a large city. The joys of the the highest highs...and the lowest lows.

Single, never married, no kids - and that's probably because my face scares a lot of women away. Just a theory though. My name is Travi, and it's nice to meet you. Don't hesitate to drop a line, I am happy to share my experiences, and am happy to help those who have decided to walk the same path as I have, It's a tough road, but support is there. Just ask.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Travi said:

Single, never married, no kids - and that's probably because my face scares a lot of women away. Just a theory though. My name is Travi, and it's nice to meet you. Don't hesitate to drop a line, I am happy to share my experiences, and am happy to help those who have decided to walk the same path as I have, It's a tough road, but support is there. Just ask.

This is me, so me... except me name is LF :)

Nice meeting you Travi, we actually sound fairly similar.

• Like 1

Howdy! Glad you found us & welcome aboard. I've found life a lot more enjoyable since leaving religion & my spendable income went up by 10%. I asked for a refund for all the money I gave during my 47 years as a Xian, but apparently they have a strict no refund or exchange policy. I apparently didn't read the small print when I was baptized. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Geezer said:

Howdy! Glad you found us & welcome aboard. I've found life a lot more enjoyable since leaving religion & my spendable income went up by 10%. I asked for a refund for all the money I gave during my 47 years as a Xian, but apparently they have a strict no refund or exchange policy. I apparently didn't read the small print when I was baptized. 

Me either. I'm pretty sure I could retire on the money I invested during my ministry time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Travi said:

I'm not even sure where to start with myself - maybe somewhere between a discombobulated mess and a guy who is trying to get his life together in some form. Born and raised in a black hole known as Kentucky - if you never heard of it, look in the 1950s. This state is so ass backwards, it isn't even funny anymore. Been deconverted officially since 2009, when I left the ministry a year following the death of my best friend. My causal for turning my back was the fact that the scriptures lied in saying that anyone with the faith of a mustard seed, their prayers would be answered. I prayed for best friend to be spared; he was not.

I'm generally easy to get along with, and have very few hardline stances on anything. I'm a firm middle of the roader on the political spectrum, am a fanatic self improver, and a bit cynical to boot. Very active in martial arts (Shaolin Kempo), and enjoy being active in general when my health permits it, and am just trying to carve a path in this journey we walk. I deal with depression quite often, a lot of self doubt, and many sleepless nights where I wonder about the status of my life, the past mistakes I look to not repeat, and the future which holds so much uncertainty. I try not to let it drag me down on most days, but some are tougher than others. Some days I wish I could pass away quietly. Other days, I have enough energy to power a large city. The joys of the the highest highs...and the lowest lows.

Ah yes! Many sleepless nights.

The sign of thinkers...DAMMIT!

• Like 1

Nice to meet you Travi. It's good to hear more about your story. If you don't mind me asking, what denomination were you before you deconverted?

Church of Christ. It was fairly liberal by most fundy standards, we had our strange rituals though.

• Like 1

Hi Travi,  I was Church of Christ too.  The one I attended was RELATIVELY liberal, which allowed me to get comfortable and stay around way too long.  

• Like 1

Let's have a reunion. I was Church of Christ for 27 years, even served as an Elder. We attended everything from anti to liberal, but was with a moderate group for 14 years, meaning moderate for the Church of Christ, but we were still bible worshipping scripturally focused worshippers of Paul. 

• Like 1

Amen to the reunion!  We would start with a song, of course: 'Imagine' would probably be too sappy and predictable; need suggestions for that.  Then bow our heads for a few words of godless inspiration.  A reading from the Second Letter of Hitchens to the Americans.  Next we pass around a tray of Bourbon in little plastic cups.  Best to hold on to yours so we can all sip together.  We'd take up a collection for Camp Quest.  Geezer would share some of his post-eldership wisdom in a short talk, ending with an invitation to adjourn to a nearby pub for a time of fellowship.  I'm in!

• Like 2

*waves* to Travi :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThereAndBackAgain said:

Amen to the reunion!  We would start with a song, of course: 'Imagine' would probably be too sappy and predictable; need suggestions for that.  Then bow our heads for a few words of godless inspiration.  A reading from the Second Letter of Hitchens to the Americans.  Next we pass around a tray of Bourbon in little plastic cups.  Best to hold on to yours so we can all sip together.  We'd take up a collection for Camp Quest.  Geezer would share some of his post-eldership wisdom in a short talk, ending with an invitation to adjourn to a nearby pub for a time of fellowship.  I'm in!

You had me at bourbon. I'm in. 

• Like 1

Nice to see some others who were ministers ? Glad your here Travi!

• Like 1

Wow, I somehow didn't know you used to be a minister. I guess I never found your original ex-timony, if you wrote one and never thought of asking you in the chat. But better late than never! :)

Should we try the new chat sometime? :) Not this weekend, but sometime soon anyway?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yunea said:

Wow, I somehow didn't know you used to be a minister. I guess I never found your original ex-timony, if you wrote one and never thought of asking you in the chat. But better late than never! :)

Should we try the new chat sometime? :) Not this weekend, but sometime soon anyway?

Absolutely :) it'd be good to chat with you again! 

• Like 1

Well Travi... 

Place is well attended by yer presence here. NOW, about that slight 10% cover charge.. :)

Pleased to see you frequent Dave's House and in turn participate.

kevinL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SkipNChurch said:

Well Travi... 

Place is well attended by yer presence here. NOW, about that slight 10% cover charge.. :)

Pleased to see you frequent Dave's House and in turn participate.

kevinL

Glad that I can be of help to those that need it, whether its advice, or shooting the breeze. As for the 10%, put it on my tab.

I'm happy to have found this place, and have made some wonderful friends along the way.

• 4 months later...

Glad that I can be of help to those that need it, whether its advice, or shooting the breeze. As for the 10%, put it on my tab.

I'm happy to have found this place, and have made some wonderful friends along the way.

I read your post and you seems to love Taoism so much. I loved Taoism too but I didn't plan to be a Taoist.  I was glad that you were all right in your journey.

• Like 1

I read your post and you seems to love Taoism so much. I loved Taoism too but I didn't plan to be a Taoist.  I was glad that you were all right in your journey.

Thanks for the kind words @AlienGoddess. I wouldn't consider myself a Taoist, but a lot of its philosophy and principles apply to my life. I am working on changing my mindset for the better now thanks to some advice from trusted friends and advisors. I have also doubled down in reading more about it and seeing how I can clear my mind on a more regular basis. 

I'm generally easy to get along with, and have very few hardline stances on anything. I'm a firm middle of the roader on the political spectrum, am a fanatic self improver, and a bit cynical to boot. Very active in martial arts (Shaolin Kempo), and enjoy being active in general when my health permits it, and am just trying to carve a path in this journey we walk. I deal with depression quite often, a lot of self doubt (that interferes with my improvement), and many sleepless nights where I wonder about the status of my life, the past mistakes I look to not repeat, and the future which holds so much uncertainty. I try not to let it drag me down on most days, but some are tougher than others. Some days I wish I could pass away quietly. Other days, I have enough energy to power a large city. The joys of the the highest highs...and the lowest lows.

How did I also miss the fact that you were a minister? Reading this I had an ahaa moment since we've chatted. You see I have this theory, that the ministers out there who are real thinkers, the ones full of kindness and compassion and sincerity, (read: not out there for prestige and $$) they won't stick with Christianity very long if they look for the truth. And that's exactly how you have come across so far, supportive and considerate of others. So Travi, keep fighting that self doubt and depression because the world needs people like you. And I'm not saying that just to make you feel better, I'm dead earnest. 

*sigh* sleepless nights, those are familiar, in fact I'm having one right now thus I'm cruising this site. This is such a good place to come when you need company, it's always there.

You totally made me blush and smile @TruthSeeker0 with your comments. It is much appreciated as I told you once before. 

Everything else, I am working on.