Goodbye Jesus

Am I doing this right?

Syrus

Heyo.

I've been lurking for the past week now (coincidentally, I deconverted not long after reading a few extimonials). Yes, I know the username sounds pretentious; it's my go-to from my LARP days, and has been a staple in my list of names ever since (... digging myself deeper with each word...).

Anyway. I'm from the middle of nowhere, Texas, in the mass emptiness of the panhandle, working as a librarian. Cuz what else would I do with a degree in education and history? I have a background with more liberal churches (PCUSA, ELCA, Episcopalians primarily), but I'm no stranger to the insanity of charismatics and their ilk. I might get around to a testimonial myself if I feel inspired, but for a quick overview that's a solid explanation.

Since leaving I've begun exploring Hellenic paganism, favoring Athena in particular. Erm... If I left anything out, feel free to ask. I kinda suck at introductions (yay introversion...), but hey. Baby steps, right?

Welcome to the Forums. Glad you have seen the light and decided to take a step towards introducing yourself. Nice to see you here. Hope to see you around in the Forums sharing take on life.

Welcome aboard. Take a seat, strap in, and hold on on tight. Probably a good idea to expect some turbulence once we reach cruising altitude. :3:

Roger roger. Looking forward to it!

Welcome Syrus and hello fellow introvert (Understand you there!)

If you met me in RL one would say gosh you are quiet, you talk so much on the forums lol (Introversion only seems to really affect me meeting people face to face - on the net I'm mostly fine)

So what was your reason for leaving Christianity? What started your journey out?

Cheers

LF

For me, it was looking at things with a historian's mindset. Once I looked at the Bible as historical text - written by men for a certain context, compiled by men in power designing a government's official religion - its infallibility died rather quickly. After that, I had to ask: if the Bible is false, and progressive Christianity acknowledges this - I followed a number of sites with articles to confirm this - why is it still central in worship? It's still centered on falsehood.

The false prophecies and promises didn't help either.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Syrus said:

For me, it was looking at things with a historian's mindset. Once I looked at the Bible as historical text - written by men for a certain context, compiled by men in power designing a government's official religion - its infallibility died rather quickly. After that, I had to ask: if the Bible is false, and progressive Christianity acknowledges this - I followed a number of sites with articles to confirm this - why is it still central in worship? It's still centered on falsehood.

The false prophecies and promises didn't help either.

Yeah, me too. I love history & once I began to study & research the origins & evolution of both Xianity & the Bible, from a historical perspective, it all quickly unraveled & my faith melted away.

1 minute ago, Geezer said:

Yeah, me too. I love history & once I began to study & research the origins & evolution of both Xianity & the Bible, from a historical perspective, it all quickly unraveled & my faith melted away.

Right? 

It was either 'written for one specific group and probably mistranslated' (most of the Epistles), 'written in an age before historians learned how not to bias' (most of the OT), or 'guddam political cartoon' (Revelations).

Credit where it's due, I always did like much of Proverbs and Ecclesiastes, though in the same way I like the Analects of Confucius or the Daodejing. Lots of good advice, once you overlook the spiritualism based on a hateful god.

Welcome syrus!

Glad to have you. Hope to see more from you ?.

DB

Hello fellow historian and introvert. It was much the same with me in regards to the Bible (which, ironically, I never read as a believer. The church emphasized that we don't have to read it to believe!) Well, once I started reading what was between my sunday school lessons in the Bible and even in them (Lot's story is a great example, good man there, that one!), belief fell like a tonne of bricks.

I've always prided myself on being a bit of a feminist who believes in equal rights. It is so hard to stomach the fact that I've lived in a patriarchal church that controls women for all of my life and haven't seen it for what it is. I've always prided myself on being a historian who knows how to apply critical thinking skills, and I haven't done so in the most important area of my life, my core beliefs.

Hi. Welcome to you. You hit a nice point regarding the powerful Roman use of Christianity and most European nations as well. The reason some say not to discuss politics or religion is that both are the same claims to ultimate power and both are reinforcers against individual rights, growth, and most of all, autonomy. 

On 3/19/2017 at 8:15 PM, FoundationOfUnity said:

Hi. Welcome to you. You hit a nice point regarding the powerful Roman use of Christianity and most European nations as well. The reason some say not to discuss politics or religion is that both are the same claims to ultimate power and both are reinforcers against individual rights, growth, and most of all, autonomy. 

Eeeeexactly.

Like, seriously. I have no problem with religion itself. It's organized religion that I despise, for this specific reason

• 3 months later...

Heyo.

I've been lurking for the past week now (coincidentally, I deconverted not long after reading a few extimonials). Yes, I know the username sounds pretentious; it's my go-to from my LARP days, and has been a staple in my list of names ever since (... digging myself deeper with each word...).

Anyway. I'm from the middle of nowhere, Texas, in the mass emptiness of the panhandle, working as a librarian. Cuz what else would I do with a degree in education and history? I have a background with more liberal churches (PCUSA, ELCA, Episcopalians primarily), but I'm no stranger to the insanity of charismatics and their ilk. I might get around to a testimonial myself if I feel inspired, but for a quick overview that's a solid explanation.

Since leaving I've begun exploring Hellenic paganism, favoring Athena in particular. Erm... If I left anything out, feel free to ask. I kinda suck at introductions (yay introversion...), but hey. Baby steps, right?

I loved the facts Christianity and Islam originally from Pagan. That was a proof the bible god was a not true creator of whole universe but just as weak as cranky old Zeus. Glory! Oh Morning Glorry! God Got a Lorry