Goodbye Jesus

Another kind of damaging belief

Fuego

Thai Customs Seizes 21 Rhino Horns

The poaching that goes on in the name of tribal/cultural medicine is obscene. These poor animals are ruined for nothing but a belief that is demonstrably untrue.

I just read that one of the largest tusked elephants was recently poached for its tusks. That isn't about belief, but about ivory sales. Such poachers should be tortured and killed publicly. I'd be happy to do it. Grrr.

Yep, humans are not endangered. Punish poachers severely enough that the reward is not worth the risk of punishment. You might say it's inhumane, but how to explain to our children grandchildren that there are no wild [insert extinct species] because humans didn't get tough on other humans.

Hunt down the purchasers of ivory too - kill the trade. Anyone caught dealing with it gets eliminated.

Hmmm Probably not a doable solution, but dang its frustrating thinking that endangered animals are going extinct because of this needless activity. 

I agree on all accounts. Fuck 'em.

• Super Moderator

The wanton destruction of life seems to be part of what humans are. Can't explain it, but there it is. Even we here in the USA have a hard time passing legislation to protect animals from cruel treatment and wanton extermination. People suck.

• Like 1

See the other day poachers broke into a zoo and killed the rhino in his enclosure? Just sickening.

One interesting article said they dna tested a lot of the ancient ivory they had from the middle east and found the majority was hippo tusk. Turns out where the ivory trade flourished there are no hippos left. Hard to know whether they wiped out the elephants and moved on or just wiped out the hippos first.

I'm sure this is controversial, but it makes sense to me to catch all of them and remove their trunks/horns and let them go before poachers can get to them.  They have no reason to kill them if they have no tusks.  It might change the behavior of the animals, but at least they would not go extinct!