Goodbye Jesus

The blinders are off....

DissonanceDone

... I just wish it hadn't taken half my life to see it. Regardless, I made it out alive. That's better than not. :-) 

Hello to everyone. I'm very new here, and so happy to have found this forum. I'm looking forward to reading the boards and learning from everyone. 

My journey out came a year and a half ago, in November of 2015. I literally just walked out. I was a ministry (lay) leader, worship team leader, musician, Sunday School teacher, you name it, I volunteered for it. I spent the first year so incredibly angry and hurt that I couldn't really process anything about my faith or what beliefs would remain. Then I went through the reading phase. I started with Pete Enns, and got a basic smash course in biblical criticism and began to wonder how any seminary educated pastor could preach the bible as inerrant (as was done in my evangelical church). After that I moved on to Bart Erhman and it was all over. My faith collapsed like a house of cards. (A metaphor about building my house on sinking sand is starting to creep in... I will resist.) 

Anyway, I hope to fully share my story at some point, and in the meantime, I will look forward to reading what others have shared! 

• Like 4

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

Welcome, Blinders!

Welcome DissonanceDone

Yep, that's how the cookie crumbles. I often wish that I had perhaps dug into questions I had a decade ago, but as the saying goes, no use crying over split milk. We cannot change the past, only alter the future. Glad you have found us here at Ex-C

What was the first thing/s that made you start to question?

Yeah, Bart Ehrman essentially pointed me toward the exit sign too. Welcome aboard. Lots of good information here if you take some time to explore. And welcome to Freedom. The truth did indeed set you free. :3:

Welcome to exC!!! 

Glad to have you in the community. Looks like your gonna have to change your name to blinders lol. I'm curious as well. What happened that pushed you away in the first place? 

DB

8 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

What was the first thing/s that made you start to question?

There were many cultural pressures from the institution as a whole to think and vote a certain way that I didn't particularly like, and over time, didn't even buy into.... but what cracked the dam wide open was the anti-science stance. Things like young earth theory.  Also, biblical inerrancy was a tough pill to swallow. I had spotted a few things over the years that I had questions about, mostly having to do with differing accounts in the gospels. I learned quickly what questions were off limits. I stayed quiet about the uncomfortable (glaringly obvious) discrepancies, but when I was told, "Either every word is true, or nothing is true." Well, I chose nothing. Of course, there's a lot more to the story... but that's where cracks formed that I couldn't stuff down anymore. 

Hey -- thanks for the welcome all of you. I really appreciate it. Looking forward to much more. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

Welcome to exC!!! 

Glad to have you in the community. Looks like your gonna have to change your name to blinders lol. I'm curious as well. What happened that pushed you away in the first place? 

DB

LOL I was just rereading this topic an I looked at my welcome, and Dissonance reply to me and did a double take..... I copied straight from the name MOHO used in his welcome. ROTFLMAO!

Do not ever just assume someone else has a members name correct in their post. :D

Apologies for that DissonanceDone, some welcome, have corrected.

LF

Ha! I didn't notice that until you mentioned it! 

• Super Moderator

Welcome to the forums, Blindly Dissonant! ;)

Welcome BlindersOff.

I wish you a wonderful life as your healing progresses and you find your sense of self and wonderful relationships with others...and prosperity too. 

• 3 months later...

:3:

There were many cultural pressures from the institution as a whole to think and vote a certain way that I didn't particularly like, and over time, didn't even buy into.... but what cracked the dam wide open was the anti-science stance. Things like young earth theory.  Also, biblical inerrancy was a tough pill to swallow. I had spotted a few things over the years that I had questions about, mostly having to do with differing accounts in the gospels. I learned quickly what questions were off limits. I stayed quiet about the uncomfortable (glaringly obvious) discrepancies, but when I was told, "Either every word is true, or nothing is true." Well, I chose nothing. Of course, there's a lot more to the story... but that's where cracks formed that I couldn't stuff down anymore. 

Hey -- thanks for the welcome all of you. I really appreciate it. Looking forward to much more. 

Good for you for choosing the "nothing is true" option. (At least as far as biblical inerrancy is concerned.)