Goodbye Jesus

Preparing to Say Goodbye to our Dog

TABA

We got Ralphie - a poodle mix - as a puppy back in 2004.  Before he was one year old, Raphie was found to have a heart murmur, which we knew could well keep him from having a normal lifespan.  Well, more than twelve years later, Ralphie is still with us, and what joy he has brought to our lives.  When Ralphie wags his stubby little tail, his whole body seems to wag.  He never met a stranger, and the more people in a room when he walks in, the happier he seems.  He has been a wonderful playmate for our little 4-year-old Yorkie.  

A couple of weeks ago, Ralphie developed a cough.  He became lethargic, so we took him to the vet.  To make a long story short, Ralphie had congestive heart failure.  His heart was enlarged and his pulse was rapid and irregular.  We brought him home with four different medicines to take.  Within a few days, Ralphie was back to his normal self.  But our joy lasted only a couple of days.  He stopped eating, and spent all his time in his bed.  Yesterday's vet visit revealed that his heart is worse again.  So we are between a rock and a hard place:  the medicines have taken away his appetite.  We stopped trying to force pills down his throat, and we just want to make him comfortable.  He ate a little salmon that my wife cooked for him today, but not enough.

So I fear that in the next few days we will hug Ralphie for the last time, whether we make the agonizing decision or whether his heart just gives out.  I should be thinking about a place to bury him in our backyard.  I just can't imagine this dog being anything but joyfully alive.  It's only been three years since I buried our last dog, who lived almost to his 15th birthday.  We're not ready for this again.  But I'm so thankful that we've had Ralphie for this long.

• Like 3

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

Sorry to hear that, bud. I'm a dog person. I treat them like human babies and they love it. It's always sad when they pass on. 

• Like 2

Hi thereandbackagain. I echo what Josh said, so sorry for you. I love dogs, always have, and have always had a dog. I've had 7 go from my life. My parents dog is on her way out - cancer. It's never easy.

I wish you and yours well, and hope you keep  Ralphie alive in your hearts and memories.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

Very sorry to hear it. This is the worst time in one's life as far as I'm concerned. Wishing you all the best.

• Like 2

So sorry,  TABA.  That is difficult and sad.

• Like 2

Ugh. So sad. The days I put down my pups are days I would not wish on my worst enemy.

Hugs!!!!

• Like 2

So very sorry to hear this about Ralphie, TABA. I know the heartbreak of having our fur friends die. Like all the others have said, it sucks big time. I give you the biggest hug today. 

((hug))

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this. I hope things turn for the better, but I suspect that may not be the case. Cherish the good memories and love him to the end. You'll both be better for it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Margee said:

So very sorry to hear this about Ralphie, TABA. I know the heartbreak of having our fur friends die. Like all the others have said, it sucks big time. I give you the biggest hug today. 

((hug))

Thanks Margee!  It's not even 9 am and I've used up all my Likes for the day.  There's a lot of good stuff on these forums lately.  And a lot of good people, most importantly.  Good without God.  

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

Those fur babies really get into our hearts.  I'm so sorry about Ralphie.  

• Like 2

So sorry to hear this, sending you hugs. 

• Like 2

I am sorry you are going through this, TABA!

• Like 2

Thanks everybody for your good wishes.  We are taking it one day at a time with Ralphie.  Making him as comfortable as possible and giving him lots of love.

• Like 2