Goodbye Jesus

Silence

hockeyfan70

I don't know if any of you saw this movie directed by Martin Scorcese, but I highly recommend it, whether you're a Christian or an atheist. It asks some of the same questions we all ask, without providing answers. And it shows the madness one descends into when the realizations that (1) the closer one becomes to "god", that there is nothing there but one's self (as in when we pray we are basically carrying both sides of the conversation); and (2) in the midst of extreme persecution and suffering and loss, whether it be to one's self or to a loved or cherished one, there is silence from god. 

It comes out on Tuesday on video. I'm gonna get a copy that morning. 

I watched Arrival, LaLa Land, Moonlight and Manchester By The Sea and I would say that Silence beats them all. Even as an atheist.

I hadn't heard of this movie.  Thanks for telling us about it.  We'll probably watch it when it's available to rent on iTunes. 

BTW, you'll probably get more views by posting this in a different forum; although Critic's Corner seems like the best fit, I don't think it's visited that much.  I rarely if ever look here...

I really liked Arrival. I'll have to check this one out if it's being compared with it.

It is not being compared with Arrival; it's definitely a religious type of a movie. It's about two Jesuit priests who go to Japan during the great persecution of Christians there to find their fellow Jesuit priest who has been rumored to have "apostatized" his faith. It deals mostly with the main character (Andrew Garfield) and his struggle with the idea that so many Christians were suffering and being persecuted and yet god was silent (hence the name of the movie). Two of my favorite quotes:

"These people are the most devoted of God's creatures on earth. I confess I began to wonder: God sends us trials to test us and everything he does is good and I prayed to undergo trials like his son but why must their trials be so terrible. And why when I look into my own heart do the answers I give them seem so weak?"

and

"You would say that their deaths were not meaningless, that god surely heard their prayers as they died, but did he hear their screams? How can I explain his silence to these people who have endured so much? I need all my strength to understand it myself."

By the way, it's directed by Martin Scorcese. It stars Andrew Garfield, Adam Driver and Liam Neeson.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.