Goodbye Jesus

Lets debate

Jon

Anyone up for debate?

I suggest you contact a moderator with your proposed debate topic first.  Here's the rule for this subforum:

"This section is confined to serious and formal debate. New topics will not appear in this section until approved by a moderator. For best results, contact a moderator before attempting to post a new topic in this section."

how do you do this?

• Super Moderator

Debate what, exactly?

God,who else!!

1 hour ago, Jon said:

God,who else!!

I don't think your God would show up for a debate.  Just sayin'.

• Like 5

No,he may not show up,but he has loads of faithful foot soldiers!!!

• Super Moderator

Shall you have a debate on "Does God Exist" with you taking the affirmative? If so, please define "God"  so your opponent knows what you are talking about.

Perhaps you have a more specific topic regarding the God concept. Please elucidate.

41 minutes ago, Jon said:

No,he may not show up,but he has loads of faithful foot soldiers!!!

Then you have to find a debate opponent.  Several members here may take up the challenge.

• Super Moderator
10 hours ago, Jon said:

God,who else!!

I'd love to debate god.  Is he here?

• Like 2

If it's too tough for you to come up with a debate topic, you may find actual debate too much trouble. 

Now if you mean"who wants to talk shit on the internet" I think you'll find the place brimming with excitement to engage with you. 

Although I think actual conversation more enjoyable 

I like you Jeff,you are direct and two the point.

One thing you should know about me:I hate this grace based,stroking peopke christianity.But i do find more satisfaction in God creating the universe etc.

I just find people fascinating,i want to understandhow people can walk with God then turn away.

Becauce come on Jeff when you were christian,you would of blamed satan fir your doubts;my question is what if you were right as a christian and now wrong as a non believer,you must understand what im asking?

• Super Moderator

As we still have no debate topic proposed, this thread is closed. Jon, please read the rules for this forum.

I can't believe I didn't notice this one until today. I moved this to the Lion's Den and unlocked it just for the fun of it. Just in case any others want to join in and add a few words.

• Super Moderator

I doubt there will ever be a debate with this one as he won't even propose a topic.

5 hours ago, Jon said:

I like you Jeff,you are direct and two the point.

One thing you should know about me:I hate this grace based,stroking peopke christianity.But i do find more satisfaction in God creating the universe etc.

I just find people fascinating,i want to understandhow people can walk with God then turn away.

Becauce come on Jeff when you were christian,you would of blamed satan fir your doubts;my question is what if you were right as a christian and now wrong as a non believer,you must understand what im asking?

I understand your questions, but you are going to need to slow down a bit in my opinion.

First, we're used to trolling know-it-alls who do drive by visits here. They come stir the pot with basic questions and then run off laughing at how clever they are by secretly 'spreading the gospel' here.

If you slow down and start a limited number of serious discussion threads you will get very good serious conversation. 

Avoid generalizing why people don't believe anymore, read some xtimonies, and make some friends here. We have a few Christians here who get along just dandy. 

This will be a longish process but if you really want answers, you will likely find some good ones to chew on. 

Dont fucking think that we weren't serious Christians back in our day, or that we weren't the real deal. So many here agonized over our faith and ended up here only after digging deeper than our pastors and other leaders had the ability to take us in our desire to please god.  Few made their decision quickly. Many still wish their religions were true. 

Hopefully this is useful to you. 

Heres my story if you care to read it. 

Oh, ho ho... THANKS, Florduh, for moving this thread to the Den.

Jon, as soon as you decide (or get help deciding) on a single, specific topic concerning your faith that you'd like to debate, I'm your huckleberry. I'd LOVE the chance to take on whatever challenge you propose.

You're one of those "I don't like easy Christianity" types... I know your kind well. You're totally more convinced by second-, third- and more-degree arguments from your chosen favorite writers and speakers than you are actually knowledgeable about the Scriptures.

As a person who has studied both New Testament history and ecclesiology AND Old Testament Judaism AND New-Testament-Era, post-Temple Judaism, I think I am more than qualified to face whatever test of "proof" you might bring.

@florduh

MODS: I'm formally throwing my hat in the ring. If someone other than Jon himself is going to be appointed to choose or invite an opponent for his debate, I want to be on that list.

Jon?

Hellooooo?  Come back and talk.  I think your initial posts did not convey that you actually have questions you are trying to work through. 

People will prob stop pouncing once we get started with actual coherent conversation here. 

Are you having doubts but can't get past the fears of punishments?

What are you actually here to talk about?

• 2 weeks later...
On 25 March 2017 at 8:37 PM, florduh said:

Shall you have a debate on "Does God Exist" with you taking the affirmative? If so, please define "God"  so your opponent knows what you are talking about.

Perhaps you have a more specific topic regarding the God concept. Please elucidate.

No God of the bible (this is ex-christian forum)? The alpha and omega God almighty,all wise all knowing all true

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, Jon said:

No God of the bible (this is ex-christian forum)? The alpha and omega God almighty,all wise all knowing all true

Again, I'd love to debate your god.  Is he here?

2 hours ago, Jon said:

Clever, now you don't have to defend against the problem of evil. Also, I can respect honestly embracing the truly evil nature of your god, kinda wish more people did that.

I for one look forward to such a debate.

• Super Moderator

The debate between Jon and L.B. is set for the Arena.

• Super Moderator

Insert popcorn meme.

ok the arena it is.

What do i have to do?

Do i ask a question in arena and ask L.B to answer it?

Will everyone else keep out or is it open to comments?

• Super Moderator
5 minutes ago, Jon said:

ok the arena it is.

What do i have to do?

Do i ask a question in arena and ask L.B to answer it?

Will everyone else keep out or is it open to comments?

The rules and expectations have been clearly explained in The Arena.