Goodbye Jesus

Lets debate

Jon

Sorry to hear about it, LB. I hope that things will be OK. 

I'm posting an update in Rants. Check it out if/when you get the time/interest.

I apologise for not posting my reversal yet. I've been super busy at work and havent had the time. Plus my wife had her surgery so I've been helping her also. Went for our second follow up today and she is healing nicely he said.

DB

I apologise for not posting my reversal yet. I've been super busy at work and havent had the time. Plus my wife had her surgery so I've been helping her also. Went for our second follow up today and she is healing nicely he said.

DB

Take your time.  Family comes first.  Glad your wife is doing well. 

• Super Moderator

DB

It seems the lord didn't really want this debate to take place.  Perhaps he knew how it would end; and, being all powerful and all-knowing and such, chose to perform the powerful miracle of using ordinary life circumstances to alter the course of history.  Anyway, I hope both of y'all sinful sons of bitches learned something here.

Two segments of the reversal have been posted. More to come.

DB

Two segments of the reversal have been posted. More to come.

DB

Hey DarkBishop I have to applaud you for taking part in this 'debate', first for making the best case you could for a god you don't believe in when the Christian Jon couldn't get it up, and now for making the (admittedly easier) case against BibleGod.  You've obviously put a lot of your time into this, as well as spending money on materials, so you deserve our respect and appreciation.  And you're not just preaching to the choir here: have you ever looked at the Online Users page?  Members are always well outnumbered by guests, guests who have not yet registered and introduced themselves, and who may never do so, but who likely came here because they sensed that Christianity didn't quite add up, and they are silently reading and thinking.  And thinking is usually not good for god-beliefs, as we know!  So you are doing good work here...

To be honest, I hadn't thought much about the archaeology of the Exodus, or the origins and merging of El and Yahweh, until I was already confidently deconverted.  But that's the thing, see: once the blinders of faith start to slip, Christianity - and theism in general - crumbles in so many places.  You could ask fifty ex-Christians what it was that finally pushed them over the edge into unbelief and you would probably get fifty different answers.  For DarkBishop it was the realization that the Exodus seems to be a fairytale.  For me it was the point when I concluded that the world works, and things happen, and people act, exactly as if there was no god intervening or answering prayers. 

DarkBishop, I think you made the best case you could as "Yahweh's advocate" by pointing to the complexity and apparent design of the universe.  But as you pointed out in your reversal, that - at best - makes the case for an intelligence behind it all and by no means backs up Yahweh or Jesus.  

Anyway, I've enjoyed and appreciated this, and I'm looking forward to any future posts in this debate.  Good job!

• Like 4

Anyway, I've enjoyed and appreciated this, and I'm looking forward to any future posts in this debate.  Good job!

Thank you for your kind words TABA,

I honestly haven't looked at the online users page. I didn't notice it. I guess I will have to take a look at the main page and check it out. It's good to know that I may be helping some confused Christian open their eyes and realise they no longer have to live under the rule of the church. I wish we could have finished the debate. I went into it not expecting to win any round of it but planned on doing my best with a ton of apologetics and twists like most christians do. LB kinda surprised me when he countered with authority to interpret. I hadn't even been studying to argue that point, just to defend my position. I understand the concept behind the arguement though. If he proved me to have no authority then anything I came up with would have to be thrown out. But there are so many apologetics out there it's easy to reference a more credible source to justify it. 

I really think that Christianity is losing ground. There is just to much truth out there on the Web at our finger tips.

DB

• Like 1

I really think that Christianity is losing ground. There is just to much truth out there on the Web at our finger tips.

DB

Is your belief based on pure faith or do you have a source for this belief?

Look who it is...

• 3 weeks later...

What does it matter to you? 

Your beliefs are necessarily based on pure faith. Where do you think you're headed with this line of reasoning?

Why don't we ask Jesus?

• Like 1

@OrdinaryClay I suppose I owe you an apology. Ya hit me the wrong way the other night. But you really were just being a smart ass on that one. 

I began the sentence with I Think. Maybe it's not an opinion but it is just a thought. My own thought that possibly human reason at some point in time will begin to gain traction. And I don't need a source on something I admittedly only think will happen. But if you would like me to gather some sources to prove a point I'm sure we can find statistics on church attendance, religious affiliation, and the growth of the athiest and agnostic population between the fifties and now. I'm pretty sure we would see a growing trend in the number of non believers, non practicing christians, and people who just don't really give a fuck one way or the other. 

I am well into the angry stage of grief since deconverting so when I think about things or some christian like yourself comes at me at a bad time, I may lash out. It doesn't help that I can be a natural asshole at times too. I hope that my thought is something more worthy of my faith than Jesus turned out to be.

DB 

• Like 1

Statistics on reported church membership, attendance, church plantings/closings, and with Baptists, number of baptisms are reported yearly by The Pew Research Center and, as far as I'm aware, Barna. Some denominations like the SBCs report stats regularly. 

there are also polls, such as this recent Gallup poll about percentage of Americans believing in creationism at a new low:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/210956/belief-creationist-view-humans-new-low.aspx

ETA:

A take-away is that even evangelical adherence seems to be on the wane, and the pace picking up.

Meanwhile, Turkey is going to stop teaching evolution in high school. Academics say the only other country to exclude it from school instruction is Saudi Arabia:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/turkey-evolution-secondary-school-education-national-curriculum-recep-tayyip-erdogan-regime-a7804016.html

• Like 2

ok everyone here in the peanut gallery. The last segment has been posted. It is very lengthy and is probably not the angle that you were expecting. I hope this opens up some minds to other possibilities other than God or Strict Darwinian theory.

With this one I believe that I can finally say that I am done with this debate. And I do believe it will be awhile before I try my hand at another. And next time Im not playing Yahweh's advocate LOL.

Dark Bishop

• Like 1