Goodbye Jesus

ex-christians?

Jon

what was/is your biggest dissapointment in christianity?

• Super Moderator

That it was based entirely on ancient writings that proved to be factually unreliable and politically motivated in many instances. Because of this false foundation, the claims of healing and other miracles fall flat in the real world. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I wasn't disappointed per se, however, I did find other mythologies, that it was based on, very fascinating.  I find reading about various mythologies and philosophies very fascinating, but that doesn't mean I have to believe them.  I guess I am disappointed in something- that the believers of the Xian mythology insist on imposing their views on everyone.

• Like 3

Shocking as it might be, I also didn't develop any negative feelings toward christianity until after I deconverted. Negative feelings came naturally once I looked at it from the outside and realized all the absurdity and bigotry the cult still spawns even today. Kudos to my fellow Germans for the vast majority of them are kind respectful "lukewarm" christians but looking at, for example, the US babble belt...

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Jon said:

That its a lie, a lie I believed for 33 years.

It's like stories of hero's riding dragons kicking arse, saving the damsel (misogynistic PIG!). Be nice if it was true, but it isn't. That realization lead to a lot of heartbreak and disappointment.

But I have come to appreciate the ways in which religion works, and studying the origins of Christianity with fresh eyes is fascinating. 

• Like 2

My biggest disappointment with Christ-inanity? Easy.

Motherfuckers like you have time to preach, have time to worry about people's "souls", have time to worry about gays and cakes and Scouts and transpeople and whatever,

but they have no time for actual, real-life, unpretentious relationships that aren't completely based on how well we pretend and play the religious-posturing game.

I am RELIEVED every day that there is no god controlling them, because if so, that god hates my guts and the feeling is mutual.

I am disappointed that these shitheads can't care enough in REALITY about me and my family. They only care about conformity to their socio-political standards based on their belief in fairy-tales.

I will be forever grateful for the experience of discovering that you're not being made to be a piece of shit by some invisible deity - you're just a fucking asshole naturally.

I am only REALLY disappointed in myself for not admitting earlier what I instinctively felt for years.

Go read my comment to you on your "universe came into existence" question. I'd love to see if you've got the balls to stick around and get flayed.

That it wasn't true.

It was more than a disappointment. It was like the sudden death of the one person you thought would never leave you even if you tried to leave him. Absolutely devastating.

• Like 5

l b i have the balls,do you?

So where did wecome from?

And think carefully i want a sensible answer now,a pre-mordial soup wont cut it

• Super Moderator
10 minutes ago, Jon said:

I can't speak for anyone else here; but I came from North Carolina.  

All joking aside, have you ever read a biology textbook?  Or done a google search?  I believe you are sincere in your questions (until/unless you demonstrate otherwise).  There are easier ways of finding the answers you seek that don't involve making yourself cannon-fodder in this forum.

• Super Moderator
15 minutes ago, Jon said:

i want a sensible answer now,a pre-mordial soup wont cut it

Here, though, is where I start to have my doubts.  If you were sincere about your questions, you would be open to whatever answers you would find.  Having preconceived conclusions will limit your understanding as well as your willingness to be open-minded.  Determining which answers you will accept, and which you will not, is not an effective strategy for growth or intellectual integrity.

Also, becauce and pre-mordial are not words in the English language; please refrain from using them.

• Like 1

yeah-fair comment.

what i meant was,unintelligable answers,look im christian it makes "sense" .I need convincing,thats why im on this forum,its for debates,or am i wrong?

I was a bit disappointed at how difficult it was to get solid answers to simple questions. I was shocked at how easily it fell apart when I decided to dig, read, and really see what the foundations of my belief were. 

Honestly your questions appear to be a little half-hearted.  Are you thinking that somehow these are deep insightful questions?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jon said:

Wrong thread I think

• Super Moderator

1 hour ago, Jon said:

I need convincing,thats why im on this forum,its for debates,or am i wrong?

Convincing of what? You appear convinced on at least several topics.

Yes its for debates, but if you want to debate one liners won't cut it. You have to come prepared, research the subject material both for and against and actually present a decent argument.

Question: Are you a 6 day, 6,000 year old earth creationist?

14 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Is that a trick question?:huh:

To logical fallacy- neither a six day nor a six thousand year creationist.

• Super Moderator

Primordial soup? Anyway, we can propose and test theories based on any available evidence or we can just give up and declare, "I don't know, therefore God did it!"

• Super Moderator
41 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

I'm sure he's no more than 16 years old... 20 at most.

23 minutes ago, Jon said:

To logical fallacy- neither a six day nor a six thousand year creationist.

To clarify the question was: was the earth created in 6 literal days, and is only 6,000 years old?

So what do you believe?

@sdelsolray Serious question - creationists are not a myth. I have seen them with my own eyes. And don't give me shit about how what we 'see' can be mistaken :P:D

@TheRedneckProfessor Yeah, either that or not good at constructing an argument. His age doesn't have much to do with his belief's though? I was curious - Jon seems keen for a debate and I thought debating a creationist would be educational for the creationist :) However it seems his problem might not be with evolution, but abiogenesis and cause of the big bang.

• Super Moderator
3 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Jon seems keen for a debate and I thought debating a creationist would be educational for the creationist :) However it seems his problem might not be with evolution, but abiogenesis and cause of the big bang.

I don't think he has problems with either of those... yet.  You have to know what something is before you can have a problem with it.  Realistically, you should also understand it well enough to form an educated opinion on if first, too; but people rarely do that.  I think Jon's biggest problem is that he wants short cuts to easy answers.  Without he become willing to learn and study, debate would be pointless.  Fun, perhaps, but pointless.  That's why I've just be trolling him... so far.

7 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

You have to know what something is before you can have a problem with it. 

You have never met my Christian father ;):D 

Aye, looking at Jeff's reply in another thread Jon seems to be a bit unsure. If he's truly looking for answers it'll be good. He certainly didn't create a good first impression though, coming in with strawman's and assumptions galore.

On 3/25/2017 at 4:07 PM, Jon said:

It's untrue, plain and simple. It sucks to discover that what you were told is true, absolutely true, really isn't. If you hang with me and answer the questions I've posed in other threads we can move forward taking steps to expose what exactly is untrue about christianity, point by point starting with Genesis 1:1

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Jon said:

"Primordial soup" makes considerably more sense than a petulant little Middle-Eastern god that can't forgive without blood sacrifice and thinks that cutting off foreskins is an appropriate thing to do to 8-day-old Jewish boys.  A god that effin' petty and stupid would be incapable of creating anything more than a colossal mess.

The Miller-Urey experiment from the 1950s, however, indicates that the "soup theory" is on very solid biochemical ground -- and we've learned even more in the subsequent 65 years since that experiment.

• Like 2

Jon, here's an informative video about what happens when you ask certain atheists and non-believers about the beginning of the universe and origins in general: 

• Like 2