Goodbye Jesus

ExChristians of the cloth

DarkBishop

Greetings,

Just thought I might start a general discussion for fellow former men and women of the cloth. IE: Preachers, Priests, Evangelists, teachers, rabbis, Bishops, etc, etc.

I already know there are several members who I've talked to who have professed to have once been ministers. To just give my back ground again for the purpose of this thread I was a lay preacher in the baptist church for about 6 years before I joined the Church of God of The Gospel Assembly. There I went on trial and was Ordained a Bishop. During that time I preached whenever and wherever possible. I truly believed that God was using me as a mouth piece to deliver his word to his people. 

I want to go ahead and say that I do not have a degree in theology like some of you may. I was in the genre of probably the most hated type of preacher on this site. Evangelical, bible believing, spirit filled, emotional based, faith preaching lol. Most all the churches I attended didn't want a preacher who went to college to preach. But I guess that's better than having been to college and possibly have known I was preaching a lie. 

Looking back on it now I have mixed emotions about my service as a minister. I was never on a salary so thankfully I don't feel like I robbed anyone. But I did do my fair share of condemning certain groups of people. Especially those in the LGBTQ community. I condemned certain activities which otherwise would be perfectly acceptable minus biblical values. Vilified athiests and nonbelievers. I know I was just as ignorant as those I was preaching too but does that make it any better? I dunno. 

I think what hurts the most is my youngest son. I taught my kids since they were babies about God and Jesus. My oldest son ended up not being a believer which lead to my own deconversion. But when I told my youngest son about it he seemed hurt. For now I'm just telling him he needs to search things out for himself. I specifically didn't tell my kids about Santa Clause because for one I didn't want them to be hurt when they found out the truth. But I also wanted them to know that when I did tell them something it was the truth. So my youngest always took what I said as truth. He got "saved" a few years back and now his dad (me) is a non believer. So I think that's my worst regret. Leading my child into the captivity of the bible. I hope he does research it out him self.

Do you guys have any big regrets like that? 

My knowledge of biblical scripture has been coming in handy when I am researching nonbeliever articles and studies. Because even they take scripture out of context at times when they make arguments for their study. It helps me weed out some studies because even when I read arguments against the bible I want the writer to understand the bible if that makes since. 

So what are your views and thoughts on your past experiences as a member of the clergy now that you are a non believer?

Dark Bishop

• Like 4

7 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

I went on trial [at the Church of God of The Gospel Assembly] and was Ordained a Bishop.

Sounds like you were convicted.  What did you do wrong?:yelrotflmao:

The Brethren (at least, the more conservative element) have no paid ministers (although they have some "full time" who "live by faith" - which basically means shouting loudly enough when the money runs out).

I used to participate in the meetings and have done my fair share of gospel preaching, both on the platform and in the open air.

All I can say is that I am relieved that, as far as I know, no-one was converted by my efforts.  Having said that, I may have had some influence over another student in my university days, although that was before I joined the Brethren or did any formal preaching.

As to regrets...  No.  I don't do regrets.  I was what I was, and that resulted in my becoming what I am.  I cannot know what would have happened had I made different decisions, and the results may have been far worse than they are in reality.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sdelsolray said:

Sounds like you were convicted.  What did you do wrong?:yelrotflmao:

Lol del ?

No I didn't do anything wrong. In the assembly if you want to be an Ordained Bishop (pastor) or evangelist, you request to go on trial. It's about a year long process. They listen to your preaching and verify that you know the assemblies doctrine well enough to pastor a church or become an Evangelist in their order. 

If they are satisfied after a year you are a faithful and knowledgeable preacher then the elders lay hands on you praying for for God's devine guidance in your ministry. Then they legally ordain you so that you can perform marriages and funerals.

They made me assistant pastor at one of the churches close to me which was still an hour away. But I didn't care I still attended. They also have ministers meetings every 4 months in Knoxville Tennessee which is basically a large 3 day revival (Thursday, friday, and Saturday) where all ministers of the assembly across the country are expected to come. It's like a three day revival and if any decisions or changes had been made by the 12 elders then they were discussed during a private men's meeting on that Friday morning. Which would be expected to be relayed to the members of all the other churches afterward. 

Kind of a well organiized cult thing I guess ?

Dark Bishop

I was an Elder in the Church of Christ, & the Elders have all the power in the c of c. Everyone, including the preacher, is subject to the authority of the Elders.

I was also a trained evangelist, meaning I held Bible studies with denominational Christians to show them in the Word of God that they weren't really Christians unless they had been baptized into the Lord's Church (the Church of  Christ). I converted a lot of baptist, a JW, and a few Methodist & Presbyterians. 

At at the time I really believed I'd saved their souls. 

• Like 1

DB,

Though he's no longer an active member of Ex-C, you may interested in the book by this member.

http://www.ex-christian.net/profile/6515-stevomuso/

This is the book... https://www.amazon.com/Courage-Doubt-Stephen-J-Hurlin/dp/1616670029

Thanks,

BAA.

2 minutes ago, bornagainathiest said:

DB,

Though he's no longer an active member of Ex-C, you may interested in the book by this member.

http://www.ex-christian.net/profile/6515-stevomuso/

This is the book... https://www.amazon.com/Courage-Doubt-Stephen-J-Hurlin/dp/1616670029

Thanks,

BAA.

Hmm seems like he dropped off fairly suddenly. Does anyone know what happened? Just curious. He seemed to be a fairly regular member while he was here.

Being female in evangelicalism, I was never "allowed" to be anything like that, but I am a PK, if that counts for anything, and I could tell you stories of how my dad was treated by people in his mainline denomination.  If anyone should have regrets, it's those assholes who expect their pastor to be available 24/7 and yet refuse to pay them a livable wage.  Do I seem resentful?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Daffodil said:

Being female in evangelicalism, I was never "allowed" to be anything like that, but I am a PK, if that counts for anything, and I could tell you stories of how my dad was treated by people in his mainline denomination.  If anyone should have regrets, it's those assholes who expect their pastor to be available 24/7 and yet refuse to pay them a livable wage.  Do I seem resentful?

I was Church of Christ & I have no idea why anyone would want to be a preacher in the c of c. They serve at the whim of the Elders & it wasn't uncommon for "new" elders to fire the preacher just because they didn't like him or their wives didn't.

We were in one larger c of c that fired their preacher about every 2 years like clockwork. This went on for about 8 years until they finally appointed new elders that put a stop to it. The c of c has a reputation for treating their preachers like crap, so I can understand where you're coming from Daffodil.