Goodbye Jesus

What are your experiences like as a gay person?

skysoar15

I've been curious about this lately. Has it always been normal for you to like the same gender? 

At what age did you learn of your attraction to the same sex?

Do you feel any physical attraction to the opposite sex or would that simply be bisexual?

What are your thoughts when you hear that someone has become 'straight' because of a Christian (Holy Spirit) experience?

What are your thoughts on Scripture when it talks about it being a choice and a sin?

Naive questions for sure, but they're worth asking for a naive joe like myself. My sister is bisexual, but we never talk about it. As we get closer, I may gently prod into her personal experiences regarding that. For now though, I'm curious about the people on here.

Terrible grammar with that question, geez. My bad.

There's honestly a lot to unpack with this topic because it's very different for everyone! But for me personally, I didn't realize most of that stuff about myself until I was 15, simply because I didn't know there was any other option. And once I did it was relieving and terrifying all at once.

As for the physical attraction thing, I think it's another question you could get varied answers on. However, I think in the same way straight people can recognize when someone of the same gender is good looking, gay people can too. However if it's more sexual or romantic feelings, there's probably something to looking into bisexuality for yourself.

Whenever I hear that Christianity turned someone "straight" I'm skeptical at best and very upset at worst. There's so much internalized hate you experience in the Christian community and can never really fully express yourself. Sure there's LGBT groups, but you'll always be fighting against the majority of people who think you're going to hell. I think there's a lot of manipulation and brain washing that goes with the whole Cured By Christ mentality, and it's one of the worst things when Christians shove that in your face and tell you that you too can change and come back.

Scripture was written by man. That's the long and short of it. Leviticus is dated, and Paul's letters are mostly him patting himself on the back and scolding people. So even if you're going with the whole Jesus set up a new doctrine thing, the only thing you have in the NT are the epistles. Which are literally personal letters. It's really hard for me to take that seriously in any capacity.

As for your sister, I'd give her time. Don't push too much and I'm sure she'll open up to you in time :)

• Like 1

Christians, especially Fundies, refuse to acknowledge how much cultural norms influenced scripture. And the culture in the Middle East hasn't changed much since then. Why would a deity care who people have sex with? 

That whole Christian anti sex anti gay thing is rediculous. 

On 2017-04-02 at 1:36 PM, skysoar15 said:

Has it always been normal for you to like the same gender? 

At what age did you learn of your attraction to the same sex?

Do you feel any physical attraction to the opposite sex or would that simply be bisexual?

What are your thoughts when you hear that someone has become 'straight' because of a Christian (Holy Spirit) experience?

What are your thoughts on Scripture when it talks about it being a choice and a sin?

I'm not gay, but I am bisexual. Is it cool for me to answer your questions? 

I have always been attracted to men and women.

I had crushes on members of my same sex very early on in life, although I don't know exactly how old I was. 7, maybe?

When I hear that someone has become "straight" because of a Christian experience, I assume that they are either a bisexual person who has been forced to deny the existence that side of themselves or that they are so deeply in denial they don't even know what they're missing out on. I simultaneously feel terrible for them and feel extremely frustrated and angry with Christian culture for pushing them into this. It is such a deeply unhealthy way to live. You can't change your sexual orientation. It is what it is.

I walked away from Christianity for many reasons. This was one of them. I agree with everything knightcore has to say about scripture and its relevance.

• Thanks 1