Goodbye Jesus

How Do You Find Purpose In Life?

skysoar15

This day was tough. I went back and forth with irrational rage. 

So much of my Christian walk felt purposeful. I felt like I was making a genuine difference. Ironically, I did change for the better via Christianity and became a lot less meek and shy. 

But now, I find myself fighting to have some sort of purpose. Just what the hell am I here for? It makes apathy way too easy. Heck, it makes nihilism disturbingly easy.

I am sure many of you have fought these thoughts before. How did you find yourselves coming around? 

• Like 1

Losing the self-importance, specialness and holier-than-thou mindset ingrained by the Christian religion is a good start.  

For me, I find purpose with many things - family, continued education, music, other hobbies, outdoors/nature, empathy for others, among other things.

Those may not be as grandiose as the faux purposes some theists chase (e.g., evangalizing, worshiping sky fairies), but they work quite well for me and I suspect they, or similar things, would work quite well for most other rational and unassuming humans.

At another level of understanding, it's largely a matter of readjusting to different endorphin levels and expectations.  That, and your efforts and patience.

• Like 4

• Super Moderator

The "purpose" of life is simply to live it. Others will try to convince you must do this or that, but only you know how to live your life. Assigning an artificial purpose isn't helpful and gets in the way of living in the ever changing flow.

• Like 4

There are many "causes" to which one can devote time and energy. But ultimately, when we pan back and see our place on this planet, and the planet amongst the cosmos, we have to choose what we consider important and what isn't, and try to find joy in the simple things of life. I sing jazz now and it has generated a circle of friends who are singers and instrumentalists. No grand purpose, but I stay involved with creative people who challenge my skills and keep me active. I like to garden, and I find joy in being part of the life-cycle of Earth as non-toxic as I can be. Take time to be in nature and simply breathe deeply. Re-connect with the life that is all around you, and with people who are not trying to manipulate you into a belief system. Learn to live life "normally" without the tinted goggles of religion.

• Like 2

Read. Eat. Sleep. Screw. Explore. Talk to a stranger, especially one from a different cultural background.

Travel to somewhere where you don't speak the language and have never tasted the food before.

Understand that at one and the same time, you are BOTH a random collection of "star stuff", like Carl Sagan said, AND you're a localized, concentrated version of the elements and energies that power the entire universe and everything in it. You are earth-bound, so go wonder about and study about the cosmic. You are cosmic, so bring that massiveness and wonder and magic to your earthly life.

You don't need a magic man in the sky - YOU ARE A MAGIC MAN MADE UP OF THE SKY.

• Like 5

You don't' need a purpose in life, Sky.

Just enjoy the ride and laugh in the face of those who can no longer manipulate you! :lol::lol::lol:

• Like 1

I see each day as a new adventure! I get to go to work, pal around with some interesting folks, read a bit, work on my weird art... just having a good time!

• Like 1

To seek long-term happiness and avoid unhappiness.

Your purpose is whatever goal you set yourself.

You can be part of something larger and help others without The BuyBull having anything to do with it. For the past 2-3 years I've volunteered on an anti-abuse hotline, and helped save lots of people. I get a tremendous sense of purpose from that.

• Like 1

Pursue your dreams.  Hang out with people who inspire you to do your best.  Do things you love to do, with such intensity and focus that the hours fly by.

I think that coming out of the faith you do lose a lot of "self". You're redefining yourself by your standards and not biblical ones, and I really relate to not having any direction to go because... well there's just so many directions you can go! Your purpose is COMPLETELY up to YOU. Which is scary but also amazing. I've thrown myself into beauty school, because I want to have a salon that's a safe space for people. Yours might be writing a book, or raising goats, or even collecting something. Whatever it is though, it's going to be entirely yours and I think that's a really hard thing to get used to. When you get too nihilistic, get out of your head. Go for a walk, see some friends, watch something. Or if you want to be productive just do... something. Something other than being depressed if you can. If you can't, give yourself the day. Just take time with it and whatever your purpose is will come to you.

A couple of thoughts:

1. Now that you know that there is only one life to life, and that is here on this earth until you die, you do have a purpose. It's to make this life the best possible. For yourself and for others. You don't have to wait until some promised afterlife in order to truly live. You can make a difference, right here, right now. And you know that your time is finite, so it should give you urgency to decide now to live for now.

2. You don't have to spend all your time trying to determine or discern what god's will for your life is. You can determine your own will for your life. You're unencumbered and no longer have to take orders from an invisible deity. You no longer have to question every decision if it's in align with god's plan. You determine your own course. You are the captain of your own soul.