Goodbye Jesus

First Easter after Ex

Nightowl

Hi

Happy Good Friday..I actually get a few days vacation thanks for the fairy tale about Jesus.

It's gonna be a difficult weekend. I am wondering if anyone is willing to share some tips about how to spend Easter being an agnostic... I have no idea what to do

Thanks

Nightowl

• Super Moderator

You can always turn the tables on Christians who expect you to play Easter with them. Remind them how Easter is a Pagan fertility rite of Spring and does not complement the resurrection story at all. See, you can skip Easter either because you are NOT a Christian or because you're a REAL Christian. My Easter plan (as well as Christmas) is to go out with friends and family to a nice restaurant. It's easy as long as you don't have to worry about beating the church crowds. ;)

• Like 2

It's my first Ex-ter, too (see what I did there? EX-ter? I'm so clever - that's my word for our version of this 'holiday' now - Exter™). ;)

Spouse, children and i took over hosting and cooking this year - older relatives no longer up to the task, and watching them slog through it was depressing.

The biggest thing that's going to annoy the crap out of me if I get all ego-driven is how crowded the grocery stores will be today and tomorrow - everyone pushing and shoving and complaining

over supplies for a feast celebrating their "loving god". The most delicious thing on my table will be the irony. ;)

I live in a region where there are a mega-TON of cradle Catholics, Orthodox Christians of several ethnic stripes and lots of Evangelicals, too, so the Ishtar/Eostre/Diana/Isis festival that they observe in the name of a Jew by eating ham and mixing meat with dairy and shopping on Shabbat and calling a man "god" is a big, big deal around here.

I'm just going to LOVE the ham (with hot mustard on a potato roll, thank you) and the DEVILED (heehee) eggs. The rest, I am slick and bible-knowledge-y enough to get through by faking piety at the prayer, etc.

HAPPY EXTER, EVERYONE!!

• Like 1

I really love the expression I mean Exter. Yup. It is a difficult Exter and I already felt the pressure. The thing is that my family wants me to play Violin for Praiseband. This morning, probably because of the humidity change, I cracked my violin after tuning E-string. I was so upset and sad. It was my precious violin not only because it was expensive. I have spent so much time with my violin. They totally ignored my feeling and insisted me using my old violin to play. Comparing to Praiseband, my feeling does not count. It is hard. I really realized that how Christian is similar to ISIS in a fundamental level.  Anyway, I compromised to play violin for praise band, but I was so overwhelmed and did not feel like to practice piano...There were over 10 songs..I just can't make it.

One day, I will have to reveal the truth after I am entirely independent.

By the way, I saw a super awesome Ted video on Youtube "Exploring other dimensions - Alex Rosenthal and George Zaidan". It's a great video.

By the way I am really glad to have you guys in this community, and I am glad I joined this community. You all are really nice!

• Like 1

I'm sorry to hear about your violin and the expectation to participate in something you don't want to do. Hopefully you made it through and can forget about it and move on with your life.

• Like 1

I consider this my first Easter as an atheist as well. I find it to have been rather nice to not have been at the church for 80 hours the week leading up to Easter doing all the preparations (I was a worship minister and before that a youth minister, for 22 years). So even though I had to work a lot at my two jobs, it wasn't for shit I don't believe in anymore. I slept last night for eleven hours (my usual amount is 3-4), cleaned out my car, and my family and I are going out to Red Robin. I thought that perhaps my wife would ask about going to a church service, but I think she is ambivalent towards church now, which is fine with me. I also read some Ingersoll and I'm beginning a book by David Fitzgerald about Jesus being a myth. Nice way to celebrate in my opinion!

• Like 2

It's my first Ex-ter as well.  But I went to church because wife is still a Christian.  It's the first time I've been since I announced to her, after years of pretending, that I was no longer a Christian back last summer.  It was a strange experience to be back.  Saw the big glaring holes in the resurrection story.  It's actually one of the worst for errors in the Bible...which is funny since it's the part that SHOULD be the most right.  But of course, they don't notice it when, as the pastor is going back and forth reading between the accounts, that they don't match up.  They just stare idly at him, completely oblivious to it all and blissfully ignorant.

Not my first Ex-ter.  Played golf.  Mowed lawn.  Rode bike.  Shared a pizza with my spouse.

A perfect Ex-ter holiday.

• Super Moderator

Beltane was the Celtic holiday celebrating the lactating of the ewes.  Now that is something worth celebrating.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/18/2017 at 6:24 AM, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Beltane was the Celtic holiday celebrating the lactating of the ewes.  Now that is something worth celebrating.

Agreed! Next year we'll have to celebrate by getting some unsuspecting little ewes. Should we sacrifice one and swash its blood over the doorway? It'd be traditional.  But then, we aren't slaves in Egypt...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Happy Good Friday..I actually get a few days vacation thanks for the fairy tale about Jesus.

It's gonna be a difficult weekend. I am wondering if anyone is willing to share some tips about how to spend Easter being an agnostic... I have no idea what to do

Thanks

Nightowl

Go to China?