Goodbye Jesus

Article: Atheist At Harvard vs. TrueBeliever™

L.B.

"My Harvard Jesus Moment"

Let's have some fun with the slant of this one, gang. I'll let other, more educated folks stab first. :)

Oh well. Best of luck to her. 

Im glad she wasn't born and went to school in some Islamic country or she'd have missed out on the one true god 

• Like 1

Her story is rather like that of Leah Libresco, only Libresco was at Yale, har har.

I think I heard of this some time ago, and people said she converted because she had a crush on the guy. I don't know whether that's true.

To say that God is not one of a number of things that are good, but rather, is Goodness Itself, sounds deep, but I'm not convinced it means anything. 

I tried to find more info about Jordan Monge. I didn't come up with anything more recent than this from 2016, which says she's married and has a debilitating thyroid problem:

https://jordanmonge.com/

OK, adding:

It's not really a very good article for the person who is wondering, but is it true? It's more about her emotions as she went along in freshman year. Maybe that's what Christianity Today thinks its readers want. When she gets to the statement that after reading some classical theist authors, it became clear that Christianity was the only reasonable choice, I was like, wait, what??

The part about the Big Bang is very bad.

The main thing I see here is the objective morality argument, which is also what Leah Libresco says hooked her into Catholicism. (It's not clear to me what denomination Jordan joined.)

As far as I can see, moral values are arrived at by communities, so they're intersubjective - not subjective to the individual nor "objective" in some supernatural way. Communities can change their collective awareness over time as they get better awareness of what contributes to a life well lived. 

• Like 1

Funny cause Lewis helped me deconvert. 

I'd happily ignored the rabbit trail of a problem of what caused the Big Bang, and what caused that cause, and so on.

Yet then she happily ignored the rabbit trail of a problem of who created God, and who created that creator, and so on.

The first page was such rubbish that I didn't even bother clicking on the other pages.

Leave this gal alone.  She freely admits that by the time she was a teen that her religious friends would avoid her because she could easily tear their arguments apart.  How sad.  She then goes on to say that she wept when she finally read the through the bible a got to the crucifixion in college.

Just think about that.  The she had the ability to destroy her teen friends religious arguments without ever actually having knowing the story until years later in college.  That's a true talent there.  It's like she just maybe was some sort of annoying troll as opposed to an actual skeptic that researched anything.

mwc

• Like 1

@mwc

Yeah, I have a feeling she was pretty much a closet "believer" in her early years - she was just quick with the rebuttals because what she was told to believe touched a nerve or two.

Now she has the chance to become an important speaker at women's conferences and the like - and there's NOTHING sexier on the Christian lecture circuit than "FORMER ATHEIST FINDS JEEBUS!"

She was going to conform all along - she just felt the need to kick against the world she knew she was going to be trapped in soon enough. Poor kid. I hope someone sits her down and REALLY makes her look hard at those arguments against Christ-inanity for REAL one day.

• Like 1