Goodbye Jesus

Alpha Course anyone done it

RICK300

Hi Guys not really a rant.

I used to think I was a reasonably  intelligent person who knew his own mind, knew what I wanted to do and did it.

Enjoyed the out doors got on with people no matter colour creed ect 

Well I was encouraged to do the  Alpha course by a friend / work colleague and it completely screwed me up. Felt I was brainwashed and had to fight the feeling of the born again stuff. Whilst I was brought up with church in the UK it was I was christian with a small c the bible was just old stories some good some bad, but  the Alpha Course really tipped me over the edge mentally. It all became real even though I know most of it is not really and just stories passed down by generations to explain things at that time.

It's not like I believe in things like Zeus or the Norse gods  just wish I could get it all the hell and Jesus stuff out of my head.

It really freaked me out and stops me enjoying life.

Anyone else feel like they have been brain washed.   

Rick

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Shinobi said:

I don't know much about the Alpha course, but I did spend a few minutes glancing at their website.  I was really disheartened to see that one of my favorite t.v. personalities, Bear Grylls, is currently the face of their website... :(  Anyway, I don't think I'll be spending any of the precious time I have to put myself through what appears to be some sort of new wave Christian brotherhood movement.  I'm completely through with that shit.

If I were you, I would stay far away from stuff like the Alpha course.  It took me about three years to get to the point of where I am 100% confident in my non-believer worldview.  After I first deconverted, I gave myself the freedom to explore a plethora of other belief systems, philosophies, and worldviews.  By doing that, I was able to broaden my perspective of the world to the point that Christianity became almost laughable.  As far as I'm concerned, the only way to fully get over the damage caused by brainwashing is to fill your mind with new ideas that aren't connected to the old belief systems you used to adhere to.

It's a lot like battling an addiction.  When you are first trying to quit a bad habit it is not a good idea to surround yourself with triggers that encourage you to participate in the old behavior you are trying to get away from.  For example, you don't quit cocaine by keeping a small stash of it along with a mirror and a razor blade on the nightstand next to your bed.  You get rid of the shit and stay as far away from it as possible.

If I were you, I wouldn't spend any more time reading Christian literature, hanging out with Christian groups, or participating in Christian functions.  Those things will only make it a whole lot harder for you to regain the self confidence you'll need to completely overcome the brainwashing that you endured for so long.  I'm sorry to tell you this, but it may take many years before the damage is completely undone.  However, it does get easier with time. Just hang in there! :)

Totally agree with this........

Christianity is a poison and best to leave it alone, the Bible is quite quite mad...........

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RICK300 said:

Hi Guys not really a rant.

I used to think I was a reasonably  intelligent person who knew his own mind, knew what I wanted to do and did it.

Enjoyed the out doors got on with people no matter colour creed ect 

Well I was encouraged to do the  Alpha course by a friend / work colleague and it completely screwed me up. Felt I was brainwashed and had to fight the feeling of the born again stuff. Whilst I was brought up with church in the UK it was I was christian with a small c the bible was just old stories some good some bad, but  the Alpha Course really tipped me over the edge mentally. It all became real even though I know most of it is not really and just stories passed down by generations to explain things at that time.

It's not like I believe in things like Zeus or the Norse gods  just wish I could get it all the hell and Jesus stuff out of my head.

It really freaked me out and stops me enjoying life.

Anyone else feel like they have been brain washed.   

Rick

Yes, I've done the alpha course. Several times.

I was truly brainwashed, and not just by the alpha course. I was indoctrinated for 18 years, complete with homeschooling. It took a long time for me to get past it, but I did.

Lots of other people on here have similar stories to mine. Many of us were brainwashed, and we're all at different stages in our recovery. It's a long process, but it does get better.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply's I actually did the course 16 years ago and struggled then  then managed to de programme myself, recently went on holiday to Tennessee and for some reason the born again stuff came back I thought I had cured myself of that way of thinking. I was disappointed Bear Gryls promotes this stuff.

Disilllutions why  you do so many Alpha courses. how did you di programe yourself.

i was brought up with good morals but none of my family are conservative christian like i seem to have become.

5 hours ago, RICK300 said:

Disilllutions why  you do so many Alpha courses. how did you di programe yourself.

i was brought up with good morals but none of my family are conservative christian like i seem to have become.

I was involved in the Alpha course more as a form of ministry than as an actual participant. My church ran the Alpha course at least once a year, and "strong" Christians were encouraged to participate, and bring friends. We had an Alpha leadership team, which I was a member of once or twice as well.

As far as the deprogramming goes, it was a combination of education, time, critical thought, time, more education, time, reading, time, writing, and yet more time. I wish I had an easier answer for you, but I'm afraid I don't. It wasn't easy, and my life has been hugely and irreversibly affected by the indoctrination I experienced. It's a major reason that I'm the person that I am today. And that makes it somewhat easier to deal with. I'm fairly happy with who and where I am now. I don't know who or where I would be if I'd been raised differently. We are all where we are, and all we can do is go forward from here.

Not trying to derail the OP and his questions, but I was wondering if Alpha is what it is actually is being marketed as, which is a safe place to ask "tough questions" and be free of judgment and have open discussions about things of faith and Christianity? I get the feeling that its essentially a trap where if they can get you to attend, then they try to reel you in by asking tough questions in return and trying to make it seem like the average person cannot logically think their way out of the group topics, etc. 

• Like 1

If you were ever associated with any religion you have been brainwashed. Indoctrination has been proven to be a highly effective method to control people. The media uses it, so do educational institutions, the military, and political parties just to name the more obvious ones.

I think education is the best way to nullify indoctrination. Seek out material and qualified experts that hold a different perspective that challenges the material used to indoctrinate you. Religious historians, for example, can provide evidence that challenges the traditional religious dogma.

I'm in Tennessee so I understand how being in this area of the country would not be particularly comfortable for a non-believer. Tennessee is the Buckle of the Bible Belt. Christian Fundamentalists are more numerous than ants around here. It's hard to find anyone who will admit to not being a believer, buy we are here and our numbers are growing.

• Like 1

When I go on the bus, I see poster of Alpha course with Bear Grylls's face next to Franciscans Catholic Church in my hometown in Poland. 

It seems like it is spread all over the world. And it's called an amazing adventure...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Storm said:

Not trying to derail the OP and his questions, but I was wondering if Alpha is what it is actually is being marketed as, which is a safe place to ask "tough questions" and be free of judgment and have open discussions about things of faith and Christianity? I get the feeling that its essentially a trap where if they can get you to attend, then they try to reel you in by asking tough questions in return and trying to make it seem like the average person cannot logically think their way out of the group topics, etc. 

I'm wondering the same thing.  My old church does it, but I never took part when I still attended there because I had a feeling I would ask all the "wrong" questions and they would eventually ask me not to come back, lol!

Thanks guys for your replys I think your right it's designed to draw you in, Geezer you live in a lovely part of the world . I can't say I came a cross many fundamentalist one street preacher in Nashville trying to save people from hell. and a few Christian Radio stations really feel like it has screwed me up mentally. 

• Like 1