L.B.

Pat Robertson: "Discipline" children who disrespect Christianity

16 posts in this topic

PLEASE EXCUSE THE ANNOYING COMMERCIAL BREAKS IN THE CONVERSATION:

As with everything these days, the cost of keeping the Ex-C forum up and running has been rising. Inflation? In part, but the primary reason is this: As participation in the forums grows, costs increase. The Ex-C forums will remain free of charge to everyone, but if you believe this little corner of the Internet provides value to you or others, and you feel inclined to help keep us online, please consider making a one-time donation or becoming a regular contributor. Contribution options appear under the "Upgrade" link above, and can be accessed by clicking here.

Oh, and as an incentive (no, you won't be given any bogus promises of eternal bliss), if you do become a regular contributor by signing up for any monthly or yearly patron package, this annoying ADVO will disappear.

And now, back to the regularly scheduled conversation...

*heavy sigh*

That's it.  That is so it.  I have had it up to -here- with Pat Robertson.

Anyone got a cell phone I can borrow?  I need to txt the Heart Attack Faerie.

You have to wonder if these people can actually hear the shit that comes out of their mouths.

Pat is like the crazy uncle that you want to lock in your attic. The only reason he is alive is because it's illegal to shove a sock in his mouth and then smother him to death with a pillow.  

5 people like this

Fuck Pat Robertson, and fuck everyone of the same ilk. I'm so fed up with fundies, I can't wait for them to go extinct.

1 person likes this

I never had any children of my own so I don't' know how effective corporal punishment works in general. I would surmise, however, that beating someone until the "respect" or "believe" in any particular doctrine, while not only illegal, would have the opposite effect. They may learn to fear religion and/or religious people/officials/professionals, but they will never respect it under those conditions. 

Pat's statements indicate that, at least for some xtians, they are willing to employ force and low-key (for now) terrorist like methods to achieve their goals.

1 person likes this

14 minutes ago, MOHO said:

I never had any children of my own so I don't' know how effective corporal punishment works in general. I would surmise, however, that beating someone until the "respect" or "believe" in any particular doctrine, while not only illegal, would have the opposite effect. They may learn to fear religion and/or religious people/officials/professionals, but they will never respect it under those conditions. 

Pat's statements indicate that, at least for some xtians, they are willing to employ force and low-key (for now) terrorist like methods to achieve their goals.

I think it works if society reinforces that the action and views being forced are generally accepted  

Fortunately society no longer supports that tactic. 

2 people like this

4 hours ago, Burnedout said:

Pat is like the crazy uncle that you want to lock in your attic. The only reason he is alive is because it's illegal to shove a sock in his mouth and then smother him to death with a pillow.  

Amen to that!

1 person likes this

Back in 1986, Robertson announced his bid for the US Presidency. Therewith he claimed to have seen action as a US Marine officer during the Korean War. As it turned out, he had indeed been an officer with the Marines, he had even been in Korea, but NOT as a line officer. By dint of appealing to his father, the US Senator for Virginia, he had himself assigned to a non combatant role, that of Liquor Officer, that is, someone who kept his fellow officers supplied with booze. Well all right, no one would blame him for looking out for himself; many another would have done it too, if they could have. However there are a variety of names applied to those who, after a war, literally walk on the backs of dead men to get some post or other. "Lying bastard!" would be one of the least offensive ...

From http://www.schlatter.org/liquor_officer.htm :

"I saw truck-loads of frozen dead line-company Marines. I saw a line company which began with 238 fall to seven, led by a 20-year-old corporal. It was 30 below zero, in a howling wind off the Gobi Desert. This company from the Seventh Marines turned back the charge of a now-battered Chinese battalion. The charge began with the notes of "mess call" by the enemy bugler and ended in silence.

There is a person who calls himself a combat Marine. He is not. His name is Pat Robertson. I saw him often in the division headquarters where he was clean-shaven and clothed and showered.

He was in charge of making sure that the officers' booze ration was handed out and re-supplied. He was a lieutenant. He was in my battalion.

The line company marines I saw smelled badly, looked poorly. For months at a time they were cold, eating C-rations. Trying to stay warm and dry was a constant battle. These line-company men were the combat Marines of the First Marine Division.

Neither Pat Robertson nor I could carry their gear. He is trying to get elected by standing on those frozen bodies I saw, by putting himself in the company of those seven Marines who repulsed the enemy.

Imagine a person who aspires to be President being so loose with the truth, so lacking in grace and so dishonorable.

He says God talks to him. I'd like to hear what God says to him about this."

LEO T. CRONIN Former Corporal U.S.M.C.

I would suggest good ol' Pat already knows what his God thinks of lying. He must have read it many a time, but that doesn't appear to have discouraged him from the practice.

Casey

If you are old enough to remember this little drama:  

Sorry B.O.

I know you are making a good point here but I cannot stand to watch or listen to this coke soccer for more than 20 seconds w/out losing my lunch.

43 minutes ago, MOHO said:

Sorry B.O.

I know you are making a good point here but I cannot stand to watch or listen to this coke soccer for more than 20 seconds w/out losing my lunch.

I see it more as high entertainment.  If you don't, you will lose your mind.  

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, Burnedout said:

I see it more as high entertainment.  If you don't, you will lose your mind.

Anyone who would believe Robinson in that video has already lost their mind!

Hey Pat, how is it you had to ask your old man to keep you from stopping a Korean bullet? Jebus not powerful enough?

Casey

3 people like this

FWIW, I told a Christian friend of mine about what Pat said and my response about the pillow.  He actually agreed with me...and NO SHIT, this guy is a fairly fundy guy too...LOL!  He can't stand him either.  

2 people like this

On 4/18/2017 at 11:11 PM, L.B. said:

This is more than two years old, published in Jan. 2015. It's still obnoxious and I doubt the old guy would give a different reply today. Just thought I'd point it out.

@R. S. Martin

it was shared on a friend's Facebook page; I didn't bother reading when it was from. Of course, you're right - Robertson would say the same (or worse) right now if asked.