Goodbye Jesus

Bankrupt

reverendturmoil

Off and on, over the course of the last 40+ years, I've been very teed off at Christians and can't believe I've hung on this long.  I've had some really bad experiences with them, especially pastors.  I've left several churches over it.  In fact, I haven't called myself a christian for years now because it associates me with them.

On May 10, 2017, I burned every piece of Christian literature I've had for since 1973.  I burned a slew of bible resource books including five bibles. You would be surprised at the cost of some of these books today.  It's been on my mind for months to burn them.  Not in rebellion to God, but to his followers who I've come to hate, and that's not a good thing.  Who's the one person most instrumental in my deconversion?  The slanderous demonizing, self-righteous, condemner of people, JOHN MACARTHUR.  He inspired me to do this.  What a relief!

Another person instrumental in my de-conversion is my messed up AOG cousin, Dr. Gary ****.  I hadn’t seen him in almost 40 years and when I did a few years ago, he had NOTHING good to say about me.  Another thing that was instrumental was the constant condemnation I was getting from forum ‘christians’ that I’m going to hell for NOT believing in a trinity.

The followers of Jesus have turned me against God, however, the day will never come when I don't believe in God, but I have to wonder why his followers are such judgmental, self-righteous, demonizing hypocrites.  They can't agree on anything, yet they all think they have the truth, and often condemn those who disagree with their theology.

I want to move on with my life and NOT be disgruntled at the followers of the dysfunctional religion of christianity, and the only way to do that is to avoid them COMPLETELY at all cost.  I actually can't stand them anymore.  I need to be disconnected!

Now I’m considering taking down my web site, or maybe just selling it.  It's worth $8.95!_

• Like 2

Hiya Rev!

Welcome to Ex-Christian dot net. 

Sounds like a lot of our fellow travelers here. We've found those piles of "other than daBuyBull" less than useful in helping find direction and purpose in our lives.

In the least burning the crap give one warmth enough to cook some hotdogs and burning marshmallows :)

We have a number of places here for folks with "a" belief in something more than The End. Find a spot, pull up a seat, read, comment, join in the best spot on net to decant from that bottle of shitte you've been in.

kevinL

• Like 1

Yes.  Burning those books was very therapeutic.  Most people seem to say once the deconversion process began, it took a while for them to be comfortable with it. Not so with me.  It felt Gooooood right away!!

• Like 1

Hiya Rev!

Welcome to Ex-Christian dot net. 

Sounds like a lot of our fellow travelers here. We've found those piles of "other than daBuyBull" less than useful in helping find direction and purpose in our lives.

In the least burning the crap give one warmth enough to cook some hotdogs and burning marshmallows :)

We have a number of places here for folks with "a" belief in something more than The End. Find a spot, pull up a seat, read, comment, join in the best spot on net to decant from that bottle of shitte you've been in.

kevinL

Do you realize that you are lumping all christians together in one little brown bottle?  How appropriate!

• Like 1

The followers of Jesus have turned me against God, however, the day will never come when I don't believe in God, but I have to wonder why his followers are such judgmental, self-righteous, demonizing hypocrites. 

1. I've leaned in my 70+ years on this planet to never say never.

2. Why are His followers are such judgmental, self-righteous, demonizing hypocrites? ...............  Because they believe the Bible is true. Those that believe the Bible is true and read it are almost guaranteed to be come judgmental, self-righteous, demonizing hypocrites? How could they not? :argue:

• Like 4

1. I've leaned in my 70+ years on this planet to never say never.

2. Why are His followers are such judgmental, self-righteous, demonizing hypocrites? ...............  Because they believe the Bible is true. Those that believe the Bible is true and read it are almost guaranteed to be come judgmental, self-righteous, demonizing hypocrites? How could they not? :argue:

I would say that they believe their INTERPRETATION of the bible is true.  There are so many interpretations they they can't agree on anything, and then demonize one another for the disagreement. 

• Like 3

Geez,

I'm moving south to NC next week.  I hear nearly every car down that way has a christian bumper sticker on it.  I can imagine how much of a turn off they are down that way.  One thing for sure, they won't like me.  I preached my first sermon at age 20, my last one at age 21, and probably know more about their debacled dysfunctional religion than they do or most pastors do. I really like this guy who's also a former minister, my response is at the bottom of the page.

https://brucegerencser.net/2015/04/why-i-hate-jesus/#comment-54531

• Like 1

I've only been here less tha a day and I already have more high fives than most christian forums I've been on.  There are some christian forums where I lasted six months before some people pissed me off so much where I asked to be banned.  Some I lasted 2 hours before I was banned. Some, because of my kind disagreeable disposition, (rapture forums), I lasted less that an hour.  I can tell this isn't a christian forum because people make sense.  Am I insinuating Christians typically don't make sense?  NO!  I'm outright saying they don't male sense!

• Like 4

Rev,

Unlike the Baptists who sneak out back door of Liquor Store, I drag my ass out front door with bagged hard core brown bottles to be tossed into saddle bags.. :)

Oh yeah, and what comes out of them WILL most certainly burn when poured. Down, shots at a time.  Well unless it the single malt, those bought in five year lots when a good year is found. ;)

kL

Whereas our heads are cleared of the bullshit once delivered to us, you have those whom you've dealt with in similarity to our situations that'll think on instance where you're going, where you stand mentally, and most of all your status spiritually. Recently did I read an article based around 'possible prediction' being one of many uses of what they call God's powers passed down upon them and like everything else including the origins of their Zombie Jew was it laughable. To judge is where it's going to begin and end with them and as you well know, with their supposed knowledge of the world and others who don't believe like they do--getting upset won't do much justice but to instead shake your head in how reckless and foolish they've become over years of literal storytelling. My parents are the same way and though it's annoying can you do nothing but really feel for them as a whole. Welcome, but simply allow them to do such because in the end, you've already won. 

• Like 3

Rev,

Unlike the Baptists who sneak out back door of Liquor Store, I drag my ass out front door with bagged hard core brown bottles to be tossed into saddle bags.. :)

Oh yeah, and what comes out of them WILL most certainly burn when poured. Down, shots at a time.  Well unless it the single malt, those bought in five year lots when a good year is found. ;)

kL

Me too.  I told one pastor that I smoke weed and things were never the same.  The guy was RENTING a couple of school rooms in an elementary school for his church.(now against the law in NH)  All he did was preach a sermon on Sunday and that was it.  He was taking home $600 a week to preach that one sermon.  After I told him I smoke weed, he told me that I was the one robbing God!

• Like 2

Then dare I ask what i've been wondering since my doubts began to birth themselves at the age of 13. .why does God need our money? The more I gave sir, the more it came at me that if Christians need to uphold a church, why not hit kneebone station to do so? It goes to show in many areas that even they're doubting him if giving becomes a serious demand. But if not are you judged plenty for finally understanding where it all comes from? Again is it laughable.

• Like 3

Hi reverendturmoil
I'm fairly new here myself, so welcome to the journey.
I have come to realise that followers of Jesus are not all judgemental, self-righteous, demonising hypocrites. Just those who have allowed religious doctrine or institution to dictate their thoughts and actions (which unfortunately is a vocal majority). These are not followers of Jesus - they are followers of religion. And they are the most vocal because they have been deluded into thinking they have something concrete to back them up. You will soon find that they don't, if you haven't already.
Interestingly, you may find people on this website who would willingly follow the example of Jesus' life, yet refuse to associate themselves with a particular religion or label of 'christian' because they also understand that Jesus was not divine, that he did not physically rise from the dead, and/or that he may not even have been a real person. None of these questions detract from the relevance of what he taught by example: compassion, peace, hope and joy through kindness, gentleness and generosity.
Your feelings of hatred toward these interactions are understandable, as is your wish to be disconnected from them, but directing these feelings at people is not going to help you move on with your life. Don't burn your bridges just yet (or the books, really - you might find them interesting to look back on later). Create some distance, and keep developing your awareness, seeking knowledge and striving to understand this God you are still convinced exists as a being (I was there not too long ago, too, so I understand your current position of "the day will never come when I don't believe in God"). Try not to get too upset by the strong arguments here against the existence of God just yet (or the judgemental, self-righteous hypocrites you might find on this side of the argument too, lol). Just read and learn to comprehend your experience of God outside the bounds of any particular religious doctrine. You'll be surprised what you discover.
  • Like 1

To judge is where it's going to begin and end with them and as you well know, with their supposed knowledge of the world and others who don't believe like they do--getting upset won't do much justice but to instead shake your head in how reckless and foolish they've become over years of literal storytelling.

I gotta tell you Dark guy.  I'm not on any meds.  Pot is my med.  It's when I'm completely straight when I'm at my worse.  I believe if I would have been stone on the 10th, John MacArthur wouldn't have inspired me to burned those books, that is until a later date anyway when someone else would have pissed me off.

Today I didn't have to go get some weed to calm me down because the like minded people on this forum helped curb the hate and the anger that grew in me.  I'm a believer of a different breed, so there were VERY FEW christians on forums who cared for me because I posed a real challenge to their beliefs.  On my way south today to get my medication, this very thing was on my mind. The only way to counter and oppose what these evangelical fools do is to go at it with a full head of steam.  I'd love to debate ANY of today's evangelicals. Even without coming across like a jerk, I'd love to expose their hypocrisy and contradictions.  What more could I ask other than to debunk them and embarrass their piss poor interpretational ass.  But then again, I think you're right, letting them get me upset means they win, and it would be a waste of time.  i should just walk away.

• Like 1

Hi reverendturmoil
I'm fairly new here myself, so welcome to the journey.
I have come to realise that followers of Jesus are not all judgemental, self-righteous, demonising hypocrites. Just those who have allowed religious doctrine or institution to dictate their thoughts and actions (which unfortunately is a vocal majority). These are not followers of Jesus - they are followers of religion. And they are the most vocal because they have been deluded into thinking they have something concrete to back them up. You will soon find that they don't, if you haven't already.
Interestingly, you may find people on this website who would willingly follow the example of Jesus' life, yet refuse to associate themselves with a particular religion or label of 'christian' because they also understand that Jesus was not divine, that he did not physically rise from the dead, and/or that he may not even have been a real person. None of these questions detract from the relevance of what he taught by example: compassion, peace, hope and joy through kindness, gentleness and generosity.
Your feelings of hatred toward these interactions are understandable, as is your wish to be disconnected from them, but directing these feelings at people is not going to help you move on with your life. Don't burn your bridges just yet (or the books, really - you might find them interesting to look back on later). Create some distance, and keep developing your awareness, seeking knowledge and striving to understand this God you are still convinced exists as a being (I was there not too long ago, too, so I understand your current position of "the day will never come when I don't believe in God"). Try not to get too upset by the strong arguments here against the existence of God just yet (or the judgemental, self-righteous hypocrites you might find on this side of the argument too, lol). Just read and learn to comprehend your experience of God outside the bounds of any particular religious doctrine. You'll be surprised what you discover.

Thanks Poss...

Probably the best advice I'm going to get on this journey.  God knows, and I know, that's probably the most affirmative reply I've ever had in the 15 plus years I've been on religious forums.

Then dare I ask what i've been wondering since my doubts began to birth themselves at the age of 13. .why does God need our money? The more I gave sir, the more it came at me that if Christians need to uphold a church, why not hit kneebone station to do so? It goes to show in many areas that even they're doubting him if giving becomes a serious demand. But if not are you judged plenty for finally understanding where it all comes from? Again is it laughable.

I can tell you this...

In the first century after the destruction of Jerusalem, and in the early part of the 2nd, "prophets" were a POSITION in the church.  They went from church to church and were NOT allowed to take any money, and were only allowed to stay 2-3 days.. What was happening was some of these guys were taking money and some were living large at the expense of the congregation and abusing their privileges. So even then was there corruption in the church. This information comes from the Didache.

• Like 1

Going through the channels one day I stopped to watch professional beggar Mike Murdock at work.  You are going to think I'm kidding but he said....

"We received a letter from a man who donated $100, and 30 days later his church received one hundred million dollars!  Hurry, hurry, hurry, get to the phone, plant your seed and receive your harvest."

I did shake my head on that one!

• Like 1

I'm not on any meds.  Pot is my med.  

Which statement is correct?

i should just walk away.

You should follow this advice.

I didn't think I would have to clarify, but you do have a point.

I'm NOT on any prescription meds, (though the VA hospital tries to push them on me).  However, at times I do like a shot in the arm, meaning, a couple of good pale Ale's, a shot of CC, or a bottle of Maddog works well at times too.  

• Like 1