Goodbye Jesus

Speaking something into existence?

DarkBishop

Dear fellow Exchristians,

I am at the hospital today for my wife's out-patient surgery.....in a Catholic hospital no less...... so I've been  hearing a lot of the typical BS on Facebook, texts, and conversations around me with other families talking about their loved ones. But I was in the hallway and overheard a man walking by speaking on the phone. As he passed by he said, "Now ya don't need to say that, that's speaking it into existence. Ya see if you speak it that makes it a reality and brings it into existence. So you just don't want to do that. Don't speak it into existence."

Now I have to ask the question. Maybe one of you enlightened individuals could tell me how you speak something Into existence from a Christian standpoint? I've heard this term before from other christians when  I was in church, but never really understood the concept. Even my wife has said it. It just seems like a senseless phrase to me. I understand the concept of God speaking something into existence, If you believe in an all powerful God. But christians aren't God and I only read that we could do miracles if asked in Jesus name in full faith. Cast down mountains, heal the sick, etc etc etc, not cause something bad to happen. So how is someone saying....... "I hope I don't have cancer" speaking that into existence? Like I said. Even as a christian I didn't understand this phrase. I just like understanding the reason why someone believes a certain thing.

Thanks for the help in advance, 

Dark Bishop

• Like 1

Well according to my friends on Facebook we can apparently praise the Lord now and give him credit for a successful surgery. Definitely not the surgeon who spent years in college and the team of nurses, anesthesiologist, the respirator, or any other equipment....... it was all ...... God....... ok whatever. Have fun in fantasy land guys. I gotta go back to the real world for a few minutes and talk to my EXCHRISTIAN buddies lmao!

DB

• Like 2

Speak something into existence. Yes. No superstition there!

• Like 1

Well, if you believe in one superstition, you can believe in two, I suppose.

• Like 1

Now let's not be too hasty here!

The man on the phone might have sounded crazy, but the weird bit is that this sort of thing actually happens in real life. Strange, I know, but it's true! Using certain words in a particular order makes good things happen, but someone can just as easily call upon dark, forbidden words to annoy you or make your life miserable. Want proof? Try shouting 'Accio, money!' or 'Accio, Jaguar (the car, not the big cat)!' As long as you speak these words in faith, whatever you want will magically appear, right in front of you! All your desires will be filled and your needs met forever. Just make sure your tongue doesn't slip so you 'accidentally' mutter Avada Kedavra when you next meet your annoying in-laws, or unintentionally Obliviate your significant other's memory of you and your children. If you're still trying and nothing seems to work, you apparently don't have enough faith in the power of your words! That, or you're just another Muggle.

Okay, you're probably tired of the sarcasm (and Harry Potter references). I'll stop now.

My family had a couple of years during which we met quite a few charismatic-type Christians. A couple of them made a big deal about the importance of 'speaking blessing' into our lives. Similar to the phone guy in the OP, they also refused to speak about disease or other unfortunate occurrences because they didn't want to speak that into existence. I think these people believed that talking about bad stuff gave the Devil an opening to bring the pain; I wonder what their excuse was when bad things happened anyway. Even as a believer I thought this was insane, and if someone said something similar to me today I'd have a hard time holding back the laughter (or shouting Crucio at them just to see if I get a reaction). It's just as superstitious as throwing salt over your shoulder so the demons don't get you, or saying 'Bless you' after someone sneezes so their soul doesn't escape through their nostrils and float away. 

• Like 2

Yes, to the above comment!

Glad your wife is doing well!  

My SIL would tell me that if you tell yourself that you're getting a headache, you'll get one. She said it was a Jesse Duplantis thing. Actually, my MIL gave me baby Tylenol as part of a gift at my baby shower, "not that we're going to believe that you'll need it..."

I think it feeds into the superstitious fears that christians hold. Words have material and eternal consequences that you can't take back. 

• Like 1

Think of all the prayers, earnest and shouted, or quiet and full of faith, that have been greeted by silence.

Think of all the Pentecostals fervently speaking in tongues and commanding sickness to leave and abundance to come, all with no result.

I've heard comedians talk about how their moms would always whisper the word "cancer" so it wouldn't get them magically.

• Like 1

The Christian religion's tenet of "speaking into existence" is a metaphor for creating something, traced to Genesis and the "Word" and traced earlier to the Greek philosophy surrounding "Logos".  Many theists have used all of this quite fancifully to invent all manner of pretend events and actions.  For these folks, it is a source of endorphin secretion and emotional self-importance.  It pretty much ends there.  When dealing with actual reality, creating something involves more than pretending, it requires hard work.

• Like 2

@DarkBishop The short answer to your question is: This superstition of doing/saying things will create bad events/karma/luck seems to inflict the entire human race. Christians are not immune.

My family is very much hung up on this that it can be hard to have a reasonable discussion on health issues. The thinking behind it is that desieses have a demonic life - so if you speak something the prince of the power of the air (read satan) might hear you and send one of these demons to inflict you. According to W M Branham:

"

Now, we've applied it in a healing service, always to the healing side: cancer, tumor, cataract, tuberculosis. All those things are not natural things; they are supernatural and are demons; the Scripture plainly veri--vindicates that. But that is demons in the body with growths like cancer, got life in it, and the life of that is a demon. Growth of a cataract, the spread of tuberculosis, and, other diseases; it's demons. That's in physical form.
Now, this morning we're going to talk--talk about demons in spiritual form in the soul. They're in the soul as same as they are in the body. And we're bound to admit that we see them in people's body, such cancers and--and different diseases that's in the human body.
Just recently, even cancer has been declared to be a fourth dimension disease, that it's in another dimension, sure, it's demonology. Every disease is a fourth dimension disease, the beginning of it.

41 Now, but now cancer in the body or cancer in the soul, the demon can come in either place."

So he is saying that demons can afflict both the body (Say as cancer) or in the mind (Anxiety, depression, 'evil thoughts', mental illness.

My family bases their beliefs on this doctrine so you can imagine the difficulty in conversation.

• Like 2

@DarkBishop The short answer to your question is: This superstition of doing/saying things will create bad events/karma/luck seems to inflict the entire human race. Christians are not immune.

My family is very much hung up on this that it can be hard to have a reasonable discussion on health issues. The thinking behind it is that desieses have a demonic life - so if you speak something the prince of the power of the air (read satan) might hear you and send one of these demons to inflict you. According to W M Branham:

"

Now, we've applied it in a healing service, always to the healing side: cancer, tumor, cataract, tuberculosis. All those things are not natural things; they are supernatural and are demons; the Scripture plainly veri--vindicates that. But that is demons in the body with growths like cancer, got life in it, and the life of that is a demon. Growth of a cataract, the spread of tuberculosis, and, other diseases; it's demons. That's in physical form.
Now, this morning we're going to talk--talk about demons in spiritual form in the soul. They're in the soul as same as they are in the body. And we're bound to admit that we see them in people's body, such cancers and--and different diseases that's in the human body.
Just recently, even cancer has been declared to be a fourth dimension disease, that it's in another dimension, sure, it's demonology. Every disease is a fourth dimension disease, the beginning of it.

41 Now, but now cancer in the body or cancer in the soul, the demon can come in either place."

So he is saying that demons can afflict both the body (Say as cancer) or in the mind (Anxiety, depression, 'evil thoughts', mental illness.

My family bases their beliefs on this doctrine so you can imagine the difficulty in conversation.

have not heard any ridiculous sermon or read any funny books for a long time....

4th dimension disease?

wow,,,,,, may just wanna catch up new generation christian craziness

• Like 1

Wow..... that is messed up man! I can definitely see why it would be hard to have an intelligent conversation with them on any medical issue. Do you not wanna just slap some sense in themy sometimes and tell them to wake up? I mean seriously how can you believe your God is all powerful if he:

1. Let's a demon infect his people with illness in the first place and 

2. Can't cast that demon out no matter how much faith you have

I don't see how that is anywhere near biblical. I know that they considered mental illness demons back then. But tumors, cataract, etc?? That's just stupidity at its finest.

DB

• Like 1

have not heard any ridiculous sermon or read any funny books for a long time....

4th dimension disease?

Hey Pratt your not related to the infamous CT Pratt or Jesse Pratt are you?

DB 

i am chinese living in far flung singapore,,,,

was a rather vanilla sane methodist for a while before walking away

• Like 1

Alright. Thought you might be originally from America. 

4th dimension disease?

Uh uh, that quote from Branham was a quote from a sermon in 1955! This stuff is not new - its old n crazy!

You want to hear some of the other batshit crazy stuff he says. How I managed to be as logical as I am I'm not sure... I am logical right? Ya'll.... or ya all think I'm nutters? :D

@DarkBishop - Come on brother, you can make anything biblical. Tis just a matter of interpretation and having god reveal it to you. Do you know God put all Noah's animals in another dimension as well? Bingo boat problem solved..... wait...

I have a plan.... business model: Got a problem? We have the solution: Another Dimension!

• Like 1

Lol yeah that's true. Ya'll saw all the BS I pulled outta my ass for the debate lol.

And yeah you probably are nutters lMao! But it's OK we still like you.

DB

. .Ah, the charismatic ones which around that time were my roots but again, as usual, did it lack sense. Growing up was speaking things into existence wrongful on various ends and yet prophesy was not? I was told that without seeking him was not only ignorance there but also without his power (Holy Spirit of course) that i'd known nothing of what it truly meant to be christ-like. Often was I spoken against for mentioning what another christian had or hoping that him/her didn't succumb to such things and, as DarkBishop stated was the Lord always credited. However, to wish people the best were you still taking that walk onto eggshells because well, you didn't want to piss that christian off? Tedious but while everything was laughable do you, with time, question why as I said before as devoted as these people were. .do they have these illnesses? A prophet within my father's church before permanently leaving do I still think it's odd on why, after years and years of devotion did he fall prey to a stroke and to this day still on the process of recovery? But then again. .we're all able to ask why it happened in the first place. The SkepticApprentice said it best right? To react like so leaves an eyebrow around times like these but you're also like, why not jump around and hit those cartwheels while your family member is still on bedside awaiting results or something else? But instead you're hearing what not to speak into existence or the words of 'well we're not going to claim this in Jesus name'. Weak responses y'know? And very happy to hear that your wife made it out. Also, for reason number two on demon infection would the defense be that it's to get your attention if the Lord isn't sought out, a possible test, or lack of faith.

Fuego, hilarious easily. That oil is slapped on, tongues are spoken in hopes that either you get the Holy Ghost or whatever you have just dissipates. Questions still remain. 

• Like 2

You know, I've never heard of this before.

I can speak my wife's anger into existence (very easily - sometimes I just open my mouth).  I could probably speak unemployment into existence if I put my mind to it and said some choice things to the powers that be in my workplace.  But beyond that?

The daftness baffles me.

• Like 4

Some of the New Agers I used to hang out with believed something to this effect. Like, mentioning something "bad" aloud (and even thinking of it too much) could invite it into your own life, so focus on positive things and invite those instead.

• Like 1

Hmm.

Chocolate.  I invite it into my life...

• Like 4

Lol exactly.

I've been inviting more money, careful to not invite lack of money. Fun thing is that when I do, my boss contacts me for more work (I work when she asks me to) and offers to pay extra if it's an annoying gig. It totally woooo-ooorks.

Or maybe I just do my job well and actually deserve more gigs and extras. Which is it?!

• Like 2

I just spoke breakfast into existence!!! :58:

But I had to cook it first.....^_^

• Like 6

It appears that we have quite a bit of Jesus in us if we're able to take things to this kind of level. I dunno, maybe it's an awakened sense of past abilities that never birthed themselves until we finally woke the hell up and said screw it all?

I just spoke breakfast into existence!!! :58:

But I had to cook it first.....^_^

I assume you said nothing whilst making it disappear.

Which makes that the greater miracle...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's great when the lord knows you're thoughts and you don't even have to use words. I was thinking about work last night before I went to sleep and five hour later I woke for my shift, no prayer said,nothing.

#soblessed

• Like 2