Goodbye Jesus

An impossible God

whitehorse

Why do Christians say

"All things are possible with God"

Then tell you

"God doesn't do this, this and this"

Well then not all things are possible are they.

*shrug* He's mysterious

*shrug* He's mysterious

I know, but Christians don't have anything to back up that claim.

It's because they don't want to deal with the fact their head God is not around when bad shit happens.

• Like 2

All things *are* possible with god.  But it must be god's will, not our will, for that thing.  While that means that we can ask for all things we will only receive those things that are in alignment with god's will at that time.  So while we might ask for things that are clearly things that god would want god might not want it at the very same moment that we want it and so it appears, from our point of view, that we get nothing, when it reality we receive that thing when the time is right.  When the timing is just right, and aligned with god's, we can witness some truly amazing things but when the timing is off, from our perspective, it appears like nothing or bad things happen.

mwc

All things *are* possible with god.  But it must be god's will, not our will, for that thing.  While that means that we can ask for all things we will only receive those things that are in alignment with god's will at that time.  So while we might ask for things that are clearly things that god would want god might not want it at the very same moment that we want it and so it appears, from our point of view, that we get nothing, when it reality we receive that thing when the time is right.  When the timing is just right, and aligned with god's, we can witness some truly amazing things but when the timing is off, from our perspective, it appears like nothing or bad things happen.

mwc

All Good things are possible with God, leaving the bad. Which we decide depending on the good and bad stuff we believe in our heads. 

Something like that.

All Good things are possible with God, leaving the bad. Which we decide depending on the good and bad stuff we believe in our heads. 

Something like that.

Doesn't it have to be something like that?  Otherwise an actual god would be around doing things.

mwc

First is provisions of proof that these things are possible before we're able to go any further since well, excuses are what seemingly escape any Christian's mouth. But as of current when he's verbally torn down like so, we're wrong? Bring us back by presenting what 'possibilities' exist though then again, they're under this common belief that Atheism is now a religion.

Doesn't it have to be something like that?  Otherwise an actual god would be around doing things.

mwc

Well, I knew a guy who though God was doing something good for him when he scored some good drugs and nothing went bad for him.

So I think it's all perspective, while the real creator does something different. 

Or nothing at all.

First is provisions of proof that these things are possible before we're able to go any further since well, excuses are what seemingly escape any Christian's mouth. But as of current when he's verbally torn down like so, we're wrong? Bring us back by presenting what 'possibilities' exist though then again, they're under this common belief that Atheism is now a religion.

I think Atheism is a movment, could turn into a religion.

A religion. .? But whom is there to worship to reach that point? If we lack beliefs as is it'd make little to absolutely no sense to even kickstart something so nonsensical.

And may I ask which deity you propose the atheist religion worships?

While we might say that feminism is a religion, or global warming is a religion, in reality they are ideologies or being turned into ideologies and what people mean by saying they are 'religions' is that they share similar psychological states where the view espoused is the Only Truth (TM) and anyone disagreeing is a heretic and should be burned.

At best atheism can only be an ideology - it is not a worldview, it informs you of nothing more or less than a persons position on the belief or lack thereof of gods. Much the same way theism is not a worldview or religion. Christianity, Islam, Hinduism - these are religions and worldviews. Other worldviews without religion include scepticism, humanism, naturalism etc.

• Like 3

A religion. .? But whom is there to worship to reach that point? If we lack beliefs as is it'd make little to absolutely no sense to even kickstart something so nonsensical.

Who knows, Richard Dawkins.

There is no one to worship, but credit for opening many eyes to what reality truly is hence, Richard Dawkins himself alongside others that i'll easily give strong thanks to. Other than that, I. .see no sense in bringing together a slew of Captain Planet rings in summoning what isn't believed to begin with. Time wasted at it's finest would define this entirely.

While we might say that feminism is a religion, or global warming is a religion, in reality they are ideologies or being turned into ideologies and what people mean by saying they are 'religions' is that they share similar psychological states where the view espoused is the Only Truth (TM) and anyone disagreeing is a heretic and should be burned.

At best atheism can only be an ideology - it is not a worldview, it informs you of nothing more or less than a persons position on the belief or lack thereof of gods. Much the same way theism is not a worldview or religion. Christianity, Islam, Hinduism - these are religions and worldviews. Other worldviews without religion include scepticism, humanism, naturalism etc.

Well Atheism shouldn't be something you build an identity around, it only postulates that there is lack of evidence there are no God(s) 

"I'm an Atheist" sound's funny.

To speak the truth with a free mind to a literal lack thereof toward well indoctrinated Christians, is very much comical though sorrowful for some at the same time.

Well Atheism shouldn't be something you build an identity around, it only postulates that there is lack of evidence there are no God(s) 

"I'm an Atheist" sound's funny.

No you shouldn't, but people do.

You also face an uphill hurdle of the negative connotations associated (wrongly) with 'atheist'

I tend to acknowledge that I am an atheist by the definition of the world, but it's not how I describe myself. At best I think I'm a sceptical naturalist.

Sam Harris has some interesting things to say about the label atheist and whether people should use it as an identify label rather than a descriptor of belief. Sam is of the opinion that as a movement for a worldview people should drop the label atheist.

His argument is that you are no an afariest, aunicornist, therefore why should you label yourself an atheist. When someone asks do you believe in God, instead of saying I'm and atheist, you should simply reply no I don't believe there are god/s. Or if you prefer a positive phrase, I believe there are no god/s.

To your opening post:

The key to realising why this happens is to understand that god is all in the imagination (You can hear the screams of Christians right now!)

If one studies the bible one realises something: God evolves... like everything else. He goes from a material inept planner with genocidal tendencies who is always regretting he did stuff, to a loving god who foresaw all the future and came down in human flesh, to today the Christians have stolen the Islamic idea of an unknowable god that you can't describe. Why might this be: because if your god is immaterial, not understandable by the human mind, and works in ways you can't understand you can reject, without any due consideration, any argument against that God!

So god has gone from a physical manifestation in our reality to transcending all reality.

Why? Because as we become smarter and can identify what is true and what isn't we discover the claim of a material god to be false, forcing the believer to reinvent their god. This has been going on for at least 40,000 years.

• Like 5

To speak the truth with a free mind to a literal lack thereof toward well indoctrinated Christians, is very much comical though sorrowful for some at the same time.

It's only natural to laugh when you're free from all that pain.

No you shouldn't, but people do.

You also face an uphill hurdle of the negative connotations associated (wrongly) with 'atheist'

I tend to acknowledge that I am an atheist by the definition of the world, but it's not how I describe myself. At best I think I'm a sceptical naturalist.

Sam Harris has some interesting things to say about the label atheist and whether people should use it as an identify label rather than a descriptor of belief. Sam is of the opinion that as a movement for a worldview people should drop the label atheist.

His argument is that you are no an afariest, aunicornist, therefore why should you label yourself an atheist. When someone asks do you believe in God, instead of saying I'm and atheist, you should simply reply no I don't believe there are god/s. Or if you prefer a positive phrase, I believe there are no god/s.

To your opening post:

The key to realising why this happens is to understand that god is all in the imagination (You can hear the screams of Christians right now!)

If one studies the bible one realises something: God evolves... like everything else. He goes from a material inept planner with genocidal tendencies who is always regretting he did stuff to a loving god who foresaw all the future and came down in human flesh, to today the Christians have stolen the Islamic idea of an unknowable god that you can't describe. Why might this be: cause if your god is immaterial, not understandable by the human mind, and works in ways you can't understand you can reject without any due consideration any argument against that God!

So god has gone from a physical manifestation in our reality to transcending all reality.

Why? Because as we become smarter and can identify what is true and what isn't we discover the claim of a material god to be false, forcing the believer to reinvent their god. This has been going on for at least 40,000 years.

:)

All things *are* possible with god.  But it must be god's will, not our will, for that thing.  While that means that we can ask for all things we will only receive those things that are in alignment with god's will at that time.

And God's will just happens to always turn out to be for things that can be explained naturally. 

• Like 3

As a PS to this you need to be rather merciless when a Christian tries to claim that atheism is a worldview or religion. They need to be shown they are wrong, how wrong they are and why. Similar to the morality argument and the no purpose in life argument. They are fallacious arguments that deserve no respect.

• Like 2

Atheism by itself could not be a religion.  Atheism means one thing only: having no belief in any god.  Some atheists have no spiritual inclinations whatever.  Some atheists are into meditation, which is a type of spirituality if you define that term loosely.  There are Wiccans and other Pagans who could be considered atheists because they believe in a spiritual realm rather than a specific deity.  Over in the Ex-Christian Spirtuality forum, we have talked about the desirability of Christianity and other theistic religions being eventually pushed aside by some philosophy of life that provides for the 'spiritual' needs that many people have, but without the fictional gods.  Such a belief system might be called a 'philosophy' or a 'movement' or a 'religion' - at the end of the day it doesn't matter if it provides an alternative to theism.  So it's not an oxymoron to talk of an atheistic religion - after all, some forms of Buddhism are pretty much non-theistic anyway. 

As for atheism and identity, I have to say that my atheism is an important PART of my identity, especially after having spent several decades as a theist and living as most of us do surrounded by Believers.  But it only tells you one thing about me.  Other things about me: I am a man; I am an American; I am of Irish descent; I am an engineer; I am a military veteran; I am an atheist.  No one of these labels by itself defines me, but they are all important parts of who I am.

• Like 4

Atheism by itself could not be a religion.  Atheism means one thing only: having no belief in any god.  Some atheists have no spiritual inclinations whatever.  Some atheists are into meditation, which is a type of spirituality if you define that term loosely.  There are Wiccans and other Pagans who could be considered atheists because they believe in a spiritual realm rather than a specific deity.  Over in the Ex-Christian Spirtuality forum, we have talked about the desirability of Christianity and other theistic religions being eventually pushed aside by some philosophy of life that provides for the 'spiritual' needs that many people have, but without the fictional gods.  Such a belief system might be called a 'philosophy' or a 'movement' or a 'religion' - at the end of the day it doesn't matter if it provides an alternative to theism.  So it's not an oxymoron to talk of an atheistic religion - after all, some forms of Buddhism are pretty much non-theistic anyway. 

As for atheism and identity, I have to say that my atheism is an important PART of my identity, especially after having spent several decades as a theist and living as most of us do surrounded by Believers.  But it only tells you one thing about me.  Other things about me: I am a man; I am an American; I am of Irish descent; I am an engineer; I am a military veteran; I am an atheist.  No one of these labels by itself defines me, but they are all important parts of who I am.

Well who are you? Can we ever know who we are as a whole unit.