Goodbye Jesus

So, what if there is a God...

LimitedGrip

and he's a sadistic SOB? Not the kind of kid who fancies an ant farm, but the one who burns ants with a magnifying glass? 

How would we know? 

Let's say he has the omniscience that christians assign him. Would he not be the perfect liar? Capable of fooling christians and atheists alike? 

Could he not devise a story in which the sheep praise him, and the wolves avoid him? A predator on the top of the food chain? 

Does it not seem more likely that an omnipotent, eternal being would create life as a playtoy, rather than a companion? 

Would he, perhaps, get bored, and ignore his playthings as we all do, leaving them to collect dust for months and months (and in his case, millenniums and millenniums)?

How many fucks would he give if a super-ant he created suffered on a cross? 

Well, i for one, don't believe such a god exists, cause he'd sure as hell would have done a better job writing his manifesto. 

If we disregard the need for evidence, then of course any god becomes possible, from the gods of ancient myths to the gods of today's religions, from the most bizarre to the most mundane. Even a god that requires us to be atheists is within the realm of possibility. Without evidence, which one(s) are we to believe in?

• Like 1

and he's a sadistic SOB? Not the kind of kid who fancies an ant farm, but the one who burns ants with a magnifying glass? 

How would we know? 

Let's say he has the omniscience that christians assign him. Would he not be the perfect liar? Capable of fooling christians and atheists alike? 

Could he not devise a story in which the sheep praise him, and the wolves avoid him? A predator on the top of the food chain? 

Does it not seem more likely that an omnipotent, eternal being would create life as a playtoy, rather than a companion? 

Would he, perhaps, get bored, and ignore his playthings as we all do, leaving them to collect dust for months and months (and in his case, millenniums and millenniums)?

How many fucks would he give if a super-ant he created suffered on a cross? 

Well, i for one, don't believe such a god exists, cause he'd sure as hell would have done a better job writing his manifesto. 

Jesus is a super ant? How so.

That sounds like something from Lovecraft.  I believe the section of "Fungi from Yuggoth" entitled "Nyarlathotep" has words reasonably close to the following (I'm quoting from memory):

"Then, crushing what he'd chanced to mould in play,

The idiot Chaos blew earth's dust away."

A pretty good description of the Christian view of the end times,, now I come to think about it.

Since the only evidence of god is in the imaginations of people then god is whatever you imagine.

Any gods I have ever heard of all have human traits. They are described among the following: Loving, kind, angry, vengeful, a judge, wise, a friend, a father, hateful, deceitful etc

The Christian God just happens to combine all of these attributes into a super deity.

• Like 2

Since the only evidence of god is in the imaginations of people then god is whatever you imagine.

Any gods I have ever heard of all have human traits. They are described among the following: Loving, kind, angry, vengeful, a judge, wise, a friend, a father, hateful, deceitful etc

The Christian God just happens to combine all of these attributes into a super deity.

Yes, all "evidence" of the Christian God comes from human speech, writings and other media (e.g., movies).  There are no other confirmed sources.  I conclude the Christian God is a human construct, a human invention and solely of human origin.  It is a convenient repository upon whom folks can project their own emotions, thoughts and wishful thinking.

• Like 1

An SOB god would fit much better with the OT teachings.  Blood sacrifice, genocide, war and executions for petty crimes.  Always struggled to understand how we are meant to think the NT god (turn the other cheek, do unto others, he without sin chuck the first rock etc) was the same as the OT god (blood drenched animal sacrifice, wiping out thousands for minor infractions, leading armies to wipe cities of the map etc).

Always thought he was having a laugh at our expense.

• Like 1

An SOB god would fit much better with the OT teachings.  Blood sacrifice, genocide, war and executions for petty crimes.  Always struggled to understand how we are meant to think the NT god (turn the other cheek, do unto others, he without sin chuck the first rock etc) was the same as the OT god (blood drenched animal sacrifice, wiping out thousands for minor infractions, leading armies to wipe cities of the map etc).

Always thought he was having a laugh at our expense.

Don't forget slavery, rape, and infanticide....