Goodbye Jesus

Christians: Why would an all-good God base our salvation from Hell on whether or not we believe in a 2,000-year-old supernatural story?

Lyra

BAA,

You are dealing with someone who is practically devoid of rational thought, at least on this topic.  In addition, he has his own set of definitions for common words, a lack of curiosity and (I predict) a well-developed sense of self-importance and grandiosity lurking below the surface.  Classic Dunning-Kruger.

As previously observed, his posts indicate his brain development (particularly the frontal cortex) was and remains severely affected and stifled from years and years of religious indoctrination and peer pressure.  He functions primarily from the primitive limbic system of his brain (emotion), as, no doubt, the Christian cult to which he belongs promotes.

Most likely, he'll just keep repeating his religious dogma, logical fallacies and nonsense.  His brain is that atrophied.

I had hopes but he's turning out to be a rather pathetic chew toy.

Perhaps you are right, sdelsolray.

Nevertheless, for the sake of the newbies, the lurkers and wavering Christians who are reading this dialog, I'll continue for a while longer.

• Super Moderator

I don't need evidence.

Stranger

And that is why you can't possibly ever learn the truth about anything. All you can have is a strong opinion, but not an informed opinion.

• Like 1

All that you claim here depends upon you demonstrating from scripture that belief without evidence equals knowledge.

Please demonstrate that.

From the original Hebrew or the original Greek.

That is interesting.  Did the translators of the Bible into English not know the Hebrew and Greek?

Stranger

I don't need evidence.

Stranger

Yet you live by evidence.

How else can you reply to our posts, if not by the evidence of your senses?

Unless your computer screen is deactivated and you are typing your replies by faith?

That is interesting.  Did the translators of the Bible into English not know the Hebrew and Greek?

Stranger

They did.

Ok, please find an English translation of scripture that says that belief without evidence equals knowledge.

Then we can check and see what the original Hebrew or Greek says.

And that is why you can't possibly ever learn the truth about anything. All you can have is a strong opinion, but not an informed opinion.

Whether you think it is informed or not is immaterial to me.   

Stranger

Yet you live by evidence.

How else can you reply to our posts, if not by the evidence of your senses?

Unless your computer screen is deactivated and you are typing your replies by faith?

You misunderstand.  I am not against science.  I  am against science that is against God.

Stranger

You misunderstand.  I am not against science.  I against science that is against God.

Stranger

As I said, you cherry-pick from science only that which supports your faith.

Anything that doesn't is rejected.

They did.

Ok, please find an English translation of scripture that says that belief without evidence equals knowledge.

Then we can check and see what the original Hebrew or Greek says.

(1John 2:20)  "But ye have an unction from the Holy  One, and ye know all things. "

(1John 2:27) But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him."

Stranger

You misunderstand.  I am not against science.  I against science that is against God.

Stranger

And you misunderstand (or deny) the role that evidence plays in your life, from minute to minute and from second to second.

As I said, you cherry-pick from science only that which supports your faith.

Anything that doesn't is rejected.

Why should science move into the realm of the Spirit?

Stranger

And you misunderstand (or deny) the role that evidence plays in your life, from minute to minute and from second to second.

Not at all.  That is a false accusation.

Stranger

(1John 2:20)  "But ye have an unction from the Holy  One, and ye know all things. "

http://biblehub.com/interlinear/1_john/2-20.htm  Where is the word gnosis (knowledge)  ?

(1John 2:27) But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught y ou, ye shall abide in him."

Stranger

http://biblehub.com/interlinear/1_john/2-27.htm Where is the word gnosis (knowledge) ?

Why should science move into the realm of the Spirit?

Stranger

I never said it did.

Science's remit is to only investigate physical reality.

Not at all.  That is a false accusation.

Stranger

How so?

Explain.

Sorry sports fans, Im calling it a night.

See yall tomorrow.

Stranger

I can only believe what the Scriptures teach concerning what the Scriptures teach.  Indeed anything against that is worthless to me.

Stranger

Thanks for clarifying here, and in other posts that you don't care about truth. You simply want to hold to your unreasonable beliefs.

I would have to ask, since you don't care, and since you are irrational, and since you have no intention of changing your mind, NOR providing ANY evidence or reason for us to change our minds... what are you doing here?

• Like 1

I don't need evidence.

Stranger

You don't need evidence because you don't care about what is true, you only want to believe what you THINK is true.

Any Christian reading this - take good note: This is what indoctrination looks like! Stranger will hold his beliefs without any evidence or good reason to, and against all evidence to the contrary.

• Like 2

Perhaps you are right, sdelsolray.

Nevertheless, for the sake of the newbies, the lurkers and wavering Christians who are reading this dialog, I'll continue for a while longer.

Of course, please do.  I didn't mean to suggest you should stop.  I just wanted to comment that this one, in essence, is an over the top religious nutter because his brain is fried.

What these unfortunate persons provide is usually quite helpful to lurkers.  They are so adamant about their beliefs.  They pretend well and think they are immune from many things, including rational thought, logical argument and evidence-based reality.  Among other things, they demonstrate grandiosity, hubris and emply passive-aggressive defenses.  They don't realize that many (most?  nearly all?) newbies, lurkers and wavering Christians see right through such infantile nonsense.  Posters such as Stranger actually help folks' deconversation from Christianity.

• Like 1

Of course, please do.  I didn't mean to suggest you should stop.  I just wanted to comment that this one, in essence, is an over the top religious nutter because his brain is fried.

What these unfortunate persons provide is usually quite helpful to lurkers.  They are so adamant about their beliefs.  They pretend well and think they are immune from many things, including rational thought, logical argument and evidence-based reality.  Among other things, they demonstrate grandiosity, hubris and emply passive-aggressive defenses.  They don't realize that many (most?  nearly all?) newbies, lurkers and wavering Christians see right through such infantile nonsense.  Posters such as Stranger actually help folks' deconversation from Christianity.

QFT!  :goodjob:

what are you doing here?

I asked him that question yesterday.  He replied he was here to have discussions with 'ex-christians'.  That doesn't seem to be going very well for him, and that was before he claimed there is no such thing as 'ex-christians'.  (Note the lack of proper capitalization, the use of single quotations and the use of "thing" instead of "person" or "human being".  Instructive?).

Stranger might not do evidence.  I do.

Evidentiary references:

My purpose is to discuss with 'ex-christians' what I believe the Bible is saying.  

Stanger

I personally do not think there is any such thing as 'ex-christians'.  

Stranger

Well, I agree.  Just because I believe something doesn't make it true.  It is either true or not.   And, just because one does not believe it, doesn't make it untrue.  It is either true or not.  

Stranger

Wow, you've finally posted something that's true! You're right, whether or not something is true doesn't hinge on whether or not someone believes it. That's why evidence is so important, because it can help correct one's false beliefs. Disregarding evidence, as you're so prone to doing, will do nothing but leave you in your false beliefs.

I personally do not think there is any such thing as 'ex-christians'. 

How convenient of you to pretend that we're not for real. I get it, though. I used to believe the same thing when I was a Christian. Surely nobody who truly tasted God's redemption would ever reject him, right? I was fully convinced that there was no such thing as an ex-christian back when I was still steeped in the Christian mindset that I had been indoctrinated with, just like you.

However, it turned out that Christianity actually isn't true. It's simply mythology. It was incredibly difficult for me to accept that, but the more I studied, the more the evidence against Christianity stacked up. If it was true, then there wouldn't be the insurmountable evidence to the contrary. I reached a point where I reluctantly had to admit that I had been deceived by Christianity. 

No, that is why I can know about God.

Stranger

http://biblehub.com/interlinear/1_john/2-20.htm  Where is the word gnosis (knowledge)  ?

http://biblehub.com/interlinear/1_john/2-27.htm Where is the word gnosis (knowledge) ?

You dislike John's choice of words?   What do the verses say?

Stranger

I never said it did.

Science's remit is to only investigate physical reality.

Then why do you question me on things of the Spirit?

Stranger