Goodbye Jesus

Bible Man Revisited

ag_NO_stic

I promise I'll stop posting things in the "Rant" section, hahaha, I just start thinking about things and get so mad! I have been recently contemplating my childhood and how all that indoctrination worked and I started thinking about all the weird ass stuff my parents did. I wasn't quite in the "deviled eggs are not permitted in this house" category (though my mom DID pray for parking spaces which is pretty out there), but I've only recently started realizing some of their weird rules. Like I still to this day haven't read Harry Potter (out of laziness at this point) but I wasn't allowed to when I was kid because of the sorcery and witchcraft. I still have this odd fondness in my heart for veggie tales, but then again I haven't watched it recently enough to know if it would disturb me now.

I also watched Bible Man as a kid.  I recently saw a commercial for it again (I can't remember where to save my life) and I was absolutely incredulous at the absolute crock of SHIT that comprises the series. Some villains include "the Fibbler," "Gossip Queen," "The Cheater," "The Slacker," "The Shadow of Doubt," and even "Prince of Pride." He dresses up in the "armor of god," uses a "sword of the spirit," and basically quotes bible verses while light saber dueling this ridiculous "villains" that pick a sin topic and act really creepy.

:blink:  Guys. What in the actual f**k. Like....that's f**king insane. INSANE.

Creating an inventory of religious indoctrination events from your childhood is a worthy task.  As you process those memories anger can surface.  Often the anger is directed at the indoctrinators, which are often parents, family members and certain trusted adults.  Keep in mind that most (all?) of these indoctrinators were themselves indoctrinated successfully in their time.  Until your anger has run its course, it may be best to direct it more at the indoctrination process itself (as well as the substantive content of that process) and less on those who indoctrinated you.

• Like 5

Well said, sdelsolray.  My childhood indoctrination ran deep and took me many years to reverse.  Rather than be angry at the past, I prefer to take satisfaction from the reversal and to look to the future, by supporting causes like Camp Quest (god-free summer camps), and by encouraging members here who want their kids to be raised without religious indoctrination. 

• Like 2

I believe the medical profession considers anger to be part of many traumas, events, illnesses, etc., including deconversion.  I'm sure there are good and not so good ways to deal with it.  TABA, your solution seems to be one of the good ones.

• Like 1