Goodbye Jesus

Adam & Eve Prove Micro Evolution?

ag_NO_stic

I used to wrestle with this when I was a Christian. Anyone ever consider that if a Bible literalist truly believes that everyone came from only one man and one woman, that they at are embracing at least CERTAIN concepts of evolution to be true? All our different races prove that we adapt based on our environment. Furthermore, our ancestors that we can tangibly track over the past several hundred years still look similar to us, so we would have to concede on some level that it would take time for Adam and Eve (however they were created to be) to branch into so many different ethnicities. Hmmm....

I think a lot of folks tend to either consider any "evolution" to be a result of the magical curse that happened as a part of the fall.  Some might push things back until after the flood when Noah's kid does who knows what with him while drunk.  Others perhaps even to the Tower of Babel.

No matter when it happens it seems to be the result of some sort of magical intervention though.  Whether it is a specific "curse" that causes a swift change or the slow curse of "sin" altering things from some original perfect state.

mwc

I used to wrestle with this when I was a Christian. Anyone ever consider that if a Bible literalist truly believes that everyone came from only one man and one woman, that they at are embracing at least CERTAIN concepts of evolution to be true? All our different races prove that we adapt based on our environment. Furthermore, our ancestors that we can tangibly track over the past several hundred years still look similar to us, so we would have to concede on some level that it would take time for Adam and Eve (however they were created to be) to branch into so many different ethnicities. Hmmm....

Many literalists, YECs, etc. do embrace certain concepts of evolution, but they often refuse to use the word "evolution" instead choosing to use the word "adaptation".  Some will go as far as accepting "microevolution" but will not accept "macroevolution".  Of course, evolutionary theory predicts that micro- and macro- are the same process with the only variable being time (i.e., number of generations).  And, of course, when asked no creationist has ever been able to answer the question, "What is the biological mechanism or process that stops microevolution from becoming macroevolution?"  Well, that's not exactly correct.  One creationist I dealt with said, 'It's in the DNA', to which I asked the following additional questions:

On which chromosome(s) do the genes which regulate this process exist?

Has anyone identified these genes?

Would you agree that all life must have these genes in their DNA?

How do these genes keep count of prior mutations from prior generations so that they "know" when to stop allowing further mutations to occur? Do they use a calculator?  A pencil and paper?

Do these genes have the ability to stop mutations from occurring in the gametes?

If so, how would they stop a cosmic ray from mutating a gene in a gamete?  How would they stop a duplication error?

Do these genes stop the process of natural selection?  How do they do that?

Etc., etc.

I have concluded that these folks' religious beliefs (God created life, there are only kinds, etc.) override any curiosity or rational abilities they may have to learn about reality.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Um this kinda leads to something 

I may have forgot.

Who did Cain marry and where did she come from?