Goodbye Jesus

Christian contradictions

Wertbag

Recently there have been things that appeared to be contradictions spouted in discussions.  I'm paraphrasing but:

-"You are an atheist?  You must believe the universe came from nothing. It's a ridiculous idea that everything came from nothing.  What really happened was there was nothing and everything instantly appeared cos god willed it"

-"As an atheist you believe there is no ultimate justice. A murderer can escape punishment."  "Salvation is purely by faith not works. As long as you repent and accept Jesus you will gain access to heaven."

-"You should give your money to charitiy" says the preacher boarding his personal jet. "You should be humble like Christ" says the pope sitting on a golden throne in a palace.

-"You must believe the stupid idea that life came from non-life."  "Genesis says man came from dust and Eve from Adam's rib."

-"I don't have a problem with evil in the world, it is the way everything has to be, a dualality good/evil, pain/pleasure, cruelty/compassion. It is impossible for one to exist without the other."  "God is pure goodness and heaven is utopia where there is no evil."

-"The universe cannot be eternal, nothing is eternal, it is an impossibility." "Oh yes, God is eternal."

If it had just been a one off I would have waved it off as just that person but it feels like something that has come to my attention repeatedly in the last week.

• Like 2

My replies to the Christian (TM) in red:

First stop assuming what I believe. Without talking with me you know nothing about me. I'm not impressed by your arrogance.

"You must believe the universe came from nothing" "You must believe God came from nothing" God is eternal he needs no explanation, he is beyond our ability to understand. "Special pleading, its a logical fallacy, look it up."

"As an atheist you believe there is no ultimate justice. A murderer can escape punishment."  "As a Christian you believe that good moral people will burn in hell for ETERNITY for simply lack of belief. I'll take no ultimate justice over your perverted form of justice any day"

• Like 5

Recently there have been things that appeared to be contradictions spouted in discussions.  I'm paraphrasing but:

-"You are an atheist?  You must believe the universe came from nothing. It's a ridiculous idea that everything came from nothing.  What really happened was there was nothing and everything instantly appeared cos god willed it"

-"As an atheist you believe there is no ultimate justice. A murderer can escape punishment."  "Salvation is purely by faith not works. As long as you repent and accept Jesus you will gain access to heaven."

-"You should give your money to charitiy" says the preacher boarding his personal jet. "You should be humble like Christ" says the pope sitting on a golden throne in a palace.

-"You must believe the stupid idea that life came from non-life."  "Genesis says man came from dust and Eve from Adam's rib."

-"I don't have a problem with evil in the world, it is the way everything has to be, a dualality good/evil, pain/pleasure, cruelty/compassion. It is impossible for one to exist without the other."  "God is pure goodness and heaven is utopia where there is no evil."

-"The universe cannot be eternal, nothing is eternal, it is an impossibility." "Oh yes, God is eternal."

If it had just been a one off I would have waved it off as just that person but it feels like something that has come to my attention repeatedly in the last week.

Here's a few one-offs for you off the top of my head (in blue):

-"You are an atheist?  

Yes.

You must believe the universe came from nothing.

No, I do not.

It's a ridiculous idea that everything came from nothing.

Perhaps. 

What really happened was there was nothing and everything instantly appeared cos god willed it"

Just not in any way you can demonstrate.  And, didn't you just say that everything coming from nothing is a ridiculous idea yet you claim that's what happened via your sky fairy?  

-"As an atheist you believe there is no ultimate justice. A murderer can escape punishment."

No, that is a strawman fallacy.  Some murderers do escape punishment.  The ones that are caught and convicted do not. 

"Salvation is purely by faith not works. As long as you repent and accept Jesus you will gain access to heaven."

That's just religious dogma.

Yes, some religious leaders have wealth or are surrounded by wealth.

-"You must believe the stupid idea that life came from non-life."

Although no one currently knows, including you and me, I would not be surprised if current scientific research in abiogenesis will eventually put forth a convincing theory of the origin on carbon-based life on Earth. 

"Genesis says man came from dust and Eve from Adam's rib."

So what?

-"I don't have a problem with evil in the world, it is the way everything has to be, a dualality good/evil, pain/pleasure, cruelty/compassion. It is impossible for one to exist without the other."  

Says you.

"God is pure goodness and heaven is utopia where there is no evil."

Again, just not in any way you can demonstrate.

• Like 2

I think this last one is my favorite by far. There was a post recently discussing the Cosmological Argument (and in particular the Kalam Cosmological Argument) and part of this argument's "success" for the Christian is the fact that the world/time cannot be eternal, leading the universe to have a first cause. Naturally, theists assert this first cause as God. The irony lies in the fact that 1) their God is eternal 2) the heaven they desire is eternal, even though to prove their eternal God and heaven the universe/time must not be eternal...cherry picking at its finest.