Goodbye Jesus

Atheists tend to be more intelligent than religious people

pantheory

This is not news in that such studies have come to such conclusions for almost a century now. The study concerning the link below is a  summary of such previous studies as can be understood in this link.

https://www.indy100.com/article/scientist-looked-through-63-studies-conclude-atheists-more-intelligent-religious-people-metanalysis-7733926

• Super Moderator

There are a number of quite intelligent people who subscribe/have subscribed to religious belief and practice. I think it's incorrect to assume that intellect directly correlates to belief because religious belief, particularly Christianity, is an emotional decision rather than an intellectual one. I can't think of anyone who became a Christian because they were intellectually persuaded by fact and logic. I think the odds are better for the more capable thinkers to find their way out, though.

• Like 4

William Lane Craig always comes to mind. Intellectual, high IQ (I'm not sure but that's the way he's presented) but absolutely blind when it comes to his pet religion. 

There are a number of quite intelligent people who subscribe/have subscribed to religious belief and practice. I think it's incorrect to assume that intellect directly correlates to belief because religious belief, particularly Christianity, is an emotional decision rather than an intellectual one. I can't think of anyone who became a Christian because they were intellectually persuaded by fact and logic. I think the odds are better for the more capable thinkers to find their way out, though.

Most all of us have known or are aware of very intelligent religious people. But I agree with your statement. "I think the odds are better for the more capable thinkers ... find their way out, though."

Although this study does not mention it, I would guess that declared agnostics, who started out as being religious, would also tend to be of higher intelligence, On the other hand those born into atheism such as the communists of yore, China, Russia, Cuba, North Korea, etc.,  I think,  may not necessarily be more intelligent than their religiously rebellious counterparts in their own country. .

I've heard it said (and it makes complete sense) that there is a very low religiosity percentage among those at the very high end of the IQ spectrum, and there is a very high religiosity percentage among those at the very low end of the IQ spectrum. The vast majority of us fall somewhere in between, though, so the correlation is less pronounced among us in the middle. I do think the there's probably truth to the thread title, which simply says that atheists tend to be more intelligent; that's not an absolute, but a tendency. The wording in what little I read from the article was a bit more emphatic, though, so it does seem to be overstating things. I do completely agree with your assessment that more capable thinkers have greater odds of finding their way out of religion.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm with florduh. I think it's more accurate to say that more intelligent people have a certain tendancy towards atheism than that atheists have a certain tendancy towards intelligence. This is probably because they stand a better chance of seeing through the BS. But of course it doesn't mean that intelligent people can't be religious. There are lots of smart nutjobs out there.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm with florduh. I think it's more accurate to say that more intelligent people have a certain tendancy towards atheism than that atheists have a certain tendancy towards intelligence.

That's quite different from what he said, but yeah, I would agree. That would still mean that there would be more atheists in the top half of the intelligence spectrum than in the bottom half, though.

• Like 1

That's quite different from what he said, but yeah, I would agree. That would still mean that there would be more atheists in the top half of the intelligence spectrum than in the bottom half, though.

Yeah, that was clumsily written on my part. What I meant was, "I agree with what florduh said, and in addition to that, here's what I think".

Yeah, that was clumsily written on my part. What I meant was, "I agree with what florduh said, and in addition to that, here's what I think".

But he suggested that there's not a correlation between intelligence and religiosity, whereas what you said implied that there is some correlation. That's why I said that what you said was quite different from what he said. I personally agree with the way you put it.

But he suggested that there's not a correlation between intelligence and religiosity, whereas what you said implied that there is some correlation. That's why I said that what you said was quite different from what he said. I personally agree with the way you put it.

Again, me being clumsy. I was referring to his last sentence, regarding capable thinkers being more likely to find their way out.

I'm good at stuff.

• Like 1

Again, me being clumsy. I was referring to his last sentence, regarding capable thinkers being more likely to find their way out.

I'm good at stuff.

Ah, OK, thanks for the clarification. Yes, I definitely also agree with that part.

Take care, man, and keep on being good at stuff. ;)

• Like 1