Shinobi

Most Christian Music Sucks - Period!

15 posts in this topic

Okay, so I haven't been on here in quite a while, but I had an experience tonight that I just had to share with you all.  I decided purely for the sake of reminiscence and nostalgia to go back and listen to some of the old Christian albums I used to love when I was still a dutiful practitioner of the faith.  Of course, I just had to listen to DC Talk.  After all, they were the premier Christian band of the 90s and 00s - the best of the best (or at least the most popular).  I decided to give their album, "Supernatural," a spin.  

Dear Zeus... all I could do was cringe the entire time.  What in Odin's sacred name was I thinking back then!?  I must have been out-of-my-mind-high on religion induced emotion to have ever thought that their music was any good at all!  Every single song seemed dull, colorless, and completely devoid of anything resembling honest emotion or real intimacy - traits that most good music is built around.  Nearly every song sounded as if it had been produced in some sort of bizarre cookie cutter music factory.  The entire album reeked of imitation.  Almost every song sounded as if it were designed with the sole purpose of becoming a soulless Christian radio-friendly pop hit.  In other words, there was absolutely nothing resembling true artistry on the entire album!

Now, I will be the first to admit that it is healthy for any band to try to make a few catchy songs that have mass appeal (that's how you make money), but when a band goes completely overboard  and makes every song with the sole intention of selling out, you know there's something fishy going on.  You know that the band probably isn't making music for the love of music anymore, if you get my drift. 

So, i just had to get that off of my chest.  I also had similar experiences with a number of other Christian albums I listened to throughout the evening.  It seems to me that most music (not all) that falls into the CCM category is like this.  After spending quite a few years refreshing my soul with good old fashioned secular music - the kind that is filled with human flaws, honesty, and emotions, good, bad, ugly, and indifferent, I don't think I could ever go back to listening to Christian music again even if I wanted to.

It's a shame really... I've come to the realization that I spent more years than I care to admit listening to second rate shit disguised as music... smh :/

1 person likes this

Thank you for your support
Buy Ex-C a cup of coffee!
Costs have significantly risen and we need your support! Click the coffee cup to give a one-time donation, or choose one of the recurrent patron options.
Note: All Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

You may be right but I think this is why... Most music sucks. If your playing Christian music for Christians, the pond is smaller and youre more likely to get heard I think. 

Go out and listen to bands that play original music... its not pretty. 

The real music business sifts through so many artists to find the gems. 

2 people like this

The only Christian band that I truly liked was dc Talk. I have to disagree with you though. I listened to some of their music not long ago and enjoyed it. I saw them live almost 20 years ago and thought they put on a very entertaining show. I remember being pissed off when they split up. 

1 person likes this

You may be right but I think this is why... Most music sucks. If your playing Christian music for Christians, the pond is smaller and youre more likely to get heard I think. 

Go out and listen to bands that play original music... its not pretty. 

The real music business sifts through so many artists to find the gems. 

Hi, Jeff.  You make a really good point.  I honestly never thought of it that way.  I'm definitely not of the opinion that all Christian bands are terrible, but after comparing some of them to their secular counterparts, I was somewhat blown away by the differences in overall musicianship, quality, and artistry.

The reason I brought up DC Talk is because it really sounds to me as if they were trying to copycat whatever sounds were popular at the time that they released each of their albums, and they did a terrible job of it.  For example, if you compare their first three albums ( late 80s / early 90s attempts at hip hop) to their secular counterparts like A Tribe Called Quest, Public Enemy, Run DMC, The Beastie Boys, NWA, etc. they sound so cheezy and ridiculous that it's hard to put into words.  If you compare "Jesus Freak", their attempt to copycat alternative rock, to bands like Nirvana, Weezer, Radiohead, Green Day, and Nine Inch Nails, they seem nothing short of laughable.  Their final album, "Supernatural," might be one of the more original sounding albums that they ever produced, but all I could do is cringe the entire time I was listening to it....

I understand if people like them - to each their own.  I happen to be a huge fan of electronica, trip hop, drum & bass, industrial tech metal, and edm of all kinds.  My favorite alternative rock bands are the Cure, Radiohead, and the Smiths.  For me personally, I had an extremely hard time finding Christian bands that even came close to producing a sound that did it for me.  The only two that came even close were Sixpence None the Richer, and Mortal.  

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment! :)

Just shooting from the hip here. It seems to me that real art requires a pushing of the boundaries and it's pretty hard not to be more status quo than to try to appeal to bible thumpers. 

Pat Boone comes to mind. Look what he did to black music when he copied it for white bread, xian America. 

Compare that to the original:

2 people like this

Just shooting from the hip here. It seems to me that real art requires a pushing of the boundaries and it's pretty hard not to be more status quo than to try to appeal to bible thumpers. 

Pat Boone comes to mind. Look what he did to black music when he copied it for white bread, xian America. 

Jesus Christ on a stick!!!  Ha ha ha ha!!! LMAO!  That might be the funniest thing I've seen in awhile! xD

Vigile, I think you just successfully went above and beyond in proving my point.  Thank you so much! Bravo!

1 person likes this

Even when I was a Christian I wondered why most Christian music sucked so bad. I still have a DC Talk song in my iTunes library and an old Petra song. I don't listen to them but I consider them to be at least special to me. 

But man. Most of it is crap! Agreed!!

A lot of older Christian music honestly isn't good. I'll give it credit now, though. There are a LOT more options to choose from. Fireflight, Fireleaf, Day of Fire, Hillsong, Jesus Culture, Jimmy Needham, Lecrae, Tedashi, Jonathan Thulin, Liz Vice, Lauren Daigle...etc.

Spotify helped me discover a huge variety of different Christian Artists.

The problem for me are the messages inherent in the songs, not the quality. 

The old school type of hymns was never my thing. Chris Tomlin is also the white bread of Christian music.

But a good deal of it is actually quite good. 

I forced myself to stop listening to it. The music was a big part of the Christian mentality.

Even when I was a Christian I wondered why most Christian music sucked so bad. I still have a DC Talk song in my iTunes library and an old Petra song. I don't listen to them but I consider them to be at least special to me. 

But man. Most of it is crap! Agreed!!

Well said, Positivist! 

A lot of older Christian music honestly isn't good. I'll give it credit now, though. There are a LOT more options to choose from. Fireflight, Fireleaf, Day of Fire, Hillsong, Jesus Culture, Jimmy Needham, Lecrae, Tedashi, Jonathan Thulin, Liz Vice, Lauren Daigle...etc.

Spotify helped me discover a huge variety of different Christian Artists.

The problem for me are the messages inherent in the songs, not the quality. 

Hi, Skysoar.  It sounds to me like you might be interested in participating in the Christian Music Challenge.  I created a thread in Totally Off Topic where you can post a YouTube video of a Christian artist who you think is nothing short of amazing.  The next person to post has to come back at you with a secular artist from the same genre and time period who he or she thinks is much better.  The winner is the post that gets the most likes.  If you're down with putting one of the artists you listed in the competition, head that way! :)

Okay, so I haven't been on here in quite a while, but I had an experience tonight that I just had to share with you all.  I decided purely for the sake of reminiscence and nostalgia to go back and listen to some of the old Christian albums I used to love when I was still a dutiful practitioner of the faith.  Of course, I just had to listen to DC Talk.  After all, they were the premier Christian band of the 90s and 00s - the best of the best (or at least the most popular).  I decided to give their album, "Supernatural," a spin.  

Dear Zeus... all I could do was cringe the entire time.  What in Odin's sacred name was I thinking back then!?  I must have been out-of-my-mind-high on religion induced emotion to have ever thought that their music was any good at all!  Every single song seemed dull, colorless, and completely devoid of anything resembling honest emotion or real intimacy - traits that most good music is built around.  Nearly every song sounded as if it had been produced in some sort of bizarre cookie cutter music factory.  The entire album reeked of imitation.  Almost every song sounded as if it were designed with the sole purpose of becoming a soulless Christian radio-friendly pop hit.  In other words, there was absolutely nothing resembling true artistry on the entire album!

I didn't care much for dc Talk's "Supernatural" album even when I was a Christian. I did, however, like their "Jesus Freak" album a lot. I haven't heard it in years, though, so I can't say what I think of it today.

I do still really like a good bit from Guardian and Whitecross, and a little bit from Rez Band, and one album from Prayer Chain ("Shawl"). I especially have difficulty with Whitecross now, though, because their lyrics were so damn preachy, but Rex Carroll was such an incredible guitarist. 

But, yeah, the vast majority of Christian music was pretty bad, although there were a few musical gems if you knew where to look.

I didn't care much for dc Talk's "Supernatural" album even when I was a Christian. I did, however, like their "Jesus Freak" album a lot. I haven't heard it in years, though, so I can't say what I think of it today.

I do still really like a good bit from Guardian and Whitecross, and a little bit from Rez Band, and one album from Prayer Chain ("Shawl"). I especially have difficulty with Whitecross now, though, because their lyrics were so damn preachy, but Rex Carroll was such an incredible guitarist. 

But, yeah, the vast majority of Christian music was pretty bad, although there were a few musical gems if you knew where to look.

Believe it or not, I know exactly where you are coming from.  When I was a kid, I wasn't allowed to listen to anything but Christian music.  My dad was a preacher, and he wouldn't allow the "Devil's music" in the house because he wanted his entire family to "glorify God in everything they did."  Anyway, when I first heard DC Talk's album, "Jesus Freak," I thought it was nothing short of revolutionary and brilliant.  I went to school and tried to introduce it to my friends.  Most of them just laughed at me and made fun of it.  At the time, I couldn't understand where they were coming from.  How could they not like something that was so completely awesome?  I just convinced myself that they had been led astray by the Devil, and one day they'd come to know the truth after they saw the light.

Now, looking back, I completely understand where they were coming from.  Had I been allowed to listen to regular secular rock music back then I would have never fell in love with "Jesus Freak" the way I did.  I mean, the entire album is basically an attempt to copycat all of the popular alternative rock and rap rock styles of the time period in which it was released.  If you compare "Jesus Freak" to Rage Against the Machine's, "Evil Empire," or Nirvana's "In Utero," DC Talk just looks like the wimpy kid on the block for lack of a better way of putting it.

The way I see it is that a lot of Christian music can be likened to gas station beer with a 3.2% alcohol content.  Sure, if you drink it long enough, you'll catch a buzz, you'll eventually forget how flat it tastes, and you might even be able to convince yourself that it really does tastes good.  However, secular music is like liquor store beer with a 5% - 10% alcohol content. The minute you compare the two, the blatant differences are as glaring as the differences between night & day.  

2 people like this

The way I see it is that a lot of Christian music can be likened to gas station beer with a 3.2% alcohol content.  Sure, if you drink it long enough, you'll catch a buzz, you'll eventually forget how flat it tastes, and you might even be able to convince yourself that it really does tastes good. 

Haha I love it!!!!

1 person likes this

I still listen to a fair amount of Christian music. Much of it is garbage, but there's some stuff that I still like.