Goodbye Jesus

Can't Keep This Up

Shinobi

The world is going crazy, and I feel like I've helped the madness along with my posts. Sorry, family. :(

• Like 1

You may be right but I think this is why... Most music sucks. If your playing Christian music for Christians, the pond is smaller and youre more likely to get heard I think. 

Go out and listen to bands that play original music... its not pretty. 

The real music business sifts through so many artists to find the gems. 

• Like 2

The only Christian band that I truly liked was dc Talk. I have to disagree with you though. I listened to some of their music not long ago and enjoyed it. I saw them live almost 20 years ago and thought they put on a very entertaining show. I remember being pissed off when they split up. 

• Like 1

• Like 1

On 6/17/2017 at 7:20 AM, Jeff said:

You may be right but I think this is why... Most music sucks. If your playing Christian music for Christians, the pond is smaller and youre more likely to get heard I think. 

Go out and listen to bands that play original music... its not pretty. 

The real music business sifts through so many artists to find the gems. 

][][][][][

Just shooting from the hip here. It seems to me that real art requires a pushing of the boundaries and it's pretty hard not to be more status quo than to try to appeal to bible thumpers. 

Pat Boone comes to mind. Look what he did to black music when he copied it for white bread, xian America. 

Compare that to the original:

• Like 2

On 6/17/2017 at 1:19 PM, Vigile said:

Just shooting from the hip here. It seems to me that real art requires a pushing of the boundaries and it's pretty hard not to be more status quo than to try to appeal to bible thumpers. 

Pat Boone comes to mind. Look what he did to black music when he copied it for white bread, xian America. 

[][][][][][

• Like 1

Even when I was a Christian I wondered why most Christian music sucked so bad. I still have a DC Talk song in my iTunes library and an old Petra song. I don't listen to them but I consider them to be at least special to me. 

But man. Most of it is crap! Agreed!!

• Like 1

A lot of older Christian music honestly isn't good. I'll give it credit now, though. There are a LOT more options to choose from. Fireflight, Fireleaf, Day of Fire, Hillsong, Jesus Culture, Jimmy Needham, Lecrae, Tedashi, Jonathan Thulin, Liz Vice, Lauren Daigle...etc.

Spotify helped me discover a huge variety of different Christian Artists.

The problem for me are the messages inherent in the songs, not the quality. 

The old school type of hymns was never my thing. Chris Tomlin is also the white bread of Christian music.

But a good deal of it is actually quite good. 

I forced myself to stop listening to it. The music was a big part of the Christian mentality.

On 6/18/2017 at 1:21 AM, Positivist said:

Even when I was a Christian I wondered why most Christian music sucked so bad. I still have a DC Talk song in my iTunes library and an old Petra song. I don't listen to them but I consider them to be at least special to me. 

But man. Most of it is crap! Agreed!!

;';';';';;

On 6/18/2017 at 1:31 AM, skysoar15 said:

A lot of older Christian music honestly isn't good. I'll give it credit now, though. There are a LOT more options to choose from. Fireflight, Fireleaf, Day of Fire, Hillsong, Jesus Culture, Jimmy Needham, Lecrae, Tedashi, Jonathan Thulin, Liz Vice, Lauren Daigle...etc.

Spotify helped me discover a huge variety of different Christian Artists.

The problem for me are the messages inherent in the songs, not the quality. 

;';';';';';

Okay, so I haven't been on here in quite a while, but I had an experience tonight that I just had to share with you all.  I decided purely for the sake of reminiscence and nostalgia to go back and listen to some of the old Christian albums I used to love when I was still a dutiful practitioner of the faith.  Of course, I just had to listen to DC Talk.  After all, they were the premier Christian band of the 90s and 00s - the best of the best (or at least the most popular).  I decided to give their album, "Supernatural," a spin.  

Dear Zeus... all I could do was cringe the entire time.  What in Odin's sacred name was I thinking back then!?  I must have been out-of-my-mind-high on religion induced emotion to have ever thought that their music was any good at all!  Every single song seemed dull, colorless, and completely devoid of anything resembling honest emotion or real intimacy - traits that most good music is built around.  Nearly every song sounded as if it had been produced in some sort of bizarre cookie cutter music factory.  The entire album reeked of imitation.  Almost every song sounded as if it were designed with the sole purpose of becoming a soulless Christian radio-friendly pop hit.  In other words, there was absolutely nothing resembling true artistry on the entire album!

I didn't care much for dc Talk's "Supernatural" album even when I was a Christian. I did, however, like their "Jesus Freak" album a lot. I haven't heard it in years, though, so I can't say what I think of it today.

I do still really like a good bit from Guardian and Whitecross, and a little bit from Rez Band, and one album from Prayer Chain ("Shawl"). I especially have difficulty with Whitecross now, though, because their lyrics were so damn preachy, but Rex Carroll was such an incredible guitarist. 

But, yeah, the vast majority of Christian music was pretty bad, although there were a few musical gems if you knew where to look.

On 6/18/2017 at 7:58 AM, Citsonga said:

I didn't care much for dc Talk's "Supernatural" album even when I was a Christian. I did, however, like their "Jesus Freak" album a lot. I haven't heard it in years, though, so I can't say what I think of it today.

I do still really like a good bit from Guardian and Whitecross, and a little bit from Rez Band, and one album from Prayer Chain ("Shawl"). I especially have difficulty with Whitecross now, though, because their lyrics were so damn preachy, but Rex Carroll was such an incredible guitarist. 

But, yeah, the vast majority of Christian music was pretty bad, although there were a few musical gems if you knew where to look.

./.'.'.'.'.

• Like 2

The way I see it is that a lot of Christian music can be likened to gas station beer with a 3.2% alcohol content.  Sure, if you drink it long enough, you'll catch a buzz, you'll eventually forget how flat it tastes, and you might even be able to convince yourself that it really does tastes good. 

Haha I love it!!!!

• Like 1

I still listen to a fair amount of Christian music. Much of it is garbage, but there's some stuff that I still like.

• 2 years later...

On rare occasions I get sucked down a rabbit hole, re-listening to old CCM or Jesus Rock oldies. Mostly good nostalgic memories, mostly good music.

I just went and sampled one, as a challenge to see if I agreed with you in general. For me, this one totally holds up music-wise...

I've heard very, very little but what I've heard is about as exciting as a bowl of cold oatmeal.

• Sad 1

Does the term, "Christian music," designate only music played by white bands at predominately white evangelical churches, and written recently? After all, "gospel" has been around a long time, in both the black church and white fundamentalist and other types of churches. 

sort of OT: I heard that the lead music writer for Hillsong, Marty Sampson, has deconverted. Apparently he announced it on his instagram, martysamps, but I don't have instagram.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ficino said:

Does the term, "Christian music," designate only music played by white bands at predominately white evangelical churches, and written recently? After all, "gospel" has been around a long time, in both the black church and white fundamentalist and other types of churches. 

sort of OT: I heard that the lead music writer for Hillsong, Marty Sampson, has deconverted. Apparently he announced it on his instagram, martysamps, but I don't have instagram.

CCM is Contemporary Christian Music - and it's a separate category on the charts. Yes, mostly white.

Thanks for the tip on Marty - Hillsong was just blowing up as I finished my worship leading time. Probably sang some of their stuff. I left him an encouraging note on his Insta.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh I don't know about that.  Ok, let me start with this. When I was young ( early 20s) I played guitar in a metal band , heavy duty stuff, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Testament and of course, every Christian's favorite, Ozzy!  So, while some of you might think my taste in music sucks, music has always been a huge part of my life. I don't play guitar very often anymore, but I still listen to music. 

While I was a Christian, I did still listen to metal ( just not very loudly on the way to church with the windows down 🙂   ) but I also listened to some Christian rock music and there were just some really good ones imo.  There was POD  ( Babylon), Pillar and ok, I loved Third Day. That guy just had the most awesome voice, and we used to go to their concerts whenever we got a chance.  That was one of the most awesome experiences as a Christian, you could really "feel" the holy spirit. Now, I know it was just like being in a mosh pit and totally getting into it at a Slayer concert, but at the time it felt so real!  So, no , not all Christian music sucks. Oh, and there is Elvis. How can you not love Elvis?  

not the best video quality but awesome song 

am I even allowed to post this here?  If not, sorry...

here is my absolute favorite Christian song 

ok, so you don't think I am trying to promote Christian music here, this is what I was listening to early while doing the dishes

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jane said:

Oh I don't know about that.  Ok, let me start with this. When I was young ( early 20s) I played guitar in a metal band , heavy duty stuff, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Testament and of course, every Christian's favorite, Ozzy!  So, while some of you might think my taste in music sucks, music has always been a huge part of my life. I don't play guitar very often anymore, but I still listen to music. 🙂

A real life "Iron Maiden"...nice. I'm into symphonic metal myself...Nightwish, Within Temptation...good stuff :)

• Like 2

Derek, Nightwish is one of my all time favorite bands. Saw them in concert in Orlando ,  awesome!  I believe Floer is finally a good replacement for Tarja 🙂 

I also love Evanescense and some older rock like anything Led Zeppelin 

• 3 weeks later...

I find most of the Christian music to be awful even the Catholic ones. The Orthodox Church always has that ancient feel to it with their music.