Goodbye Jesus

The Absolute

Guest end3

It appears from the most casual observer, me, that in the political realm, the fad is to apply an "absolute", love, more often than anything, to each small, individual situation without regard to an end goal and consequence.

Thoughts please.

It appears from the most casual observer, me, that in the political realm, the fad is to apply an "absolute", love, more often than anything, to each small, individual situation without regard to an end goal and consequence.

Thoughts please.

Clarify? I'm unsure of your point.

Totally Off Topic

Almost anything goes, including politics. Please confine political discussions to this area.

And, try to play nice.

Clarify? I'm unsure of your point.

I guess the point would be that to show that we are absolute in our love, that we are perfect, we must allow everything, because humans and objects are worthy of absolute love.  We can't pick a flower, we can't eat animals, we can't verbalize, etc.  In my mind the left and non-believers would more fall into this group than the right and believers. 

Thinking both are good ideas, but God gives rules that some things are allowed.  From what I see, now we have a mess as determined by what we think is allowed and not.

Totally Off Topic

Almost anything goes, including politics. Please confine political discussions to this area.

And, try to play nice.

Ha, this literally is the first day I took you off of ignore, and look what you've done.....lol.

I guess the point would be that to show that we are absolute in our love, that we are perfect, we must allow everything, because humans and objects are worthy of absolute love.  We can't pick a flower, we can't eat animals, we can't verbalize, etc.  In my mind the left and non-believers would more fall into this group than the right and believers. 

Thinking both are good ideas, but God gives rules that some things are allowed.  From what I see, now we have a mess as determined by what we think is allowed and not.

I guess, because I don't participate in this "absoluteness" you're talking about, I'm still not getting your point. I disagree with your entire paragraph. I don't think I'm perfect, don't think everything should be allowed, don't think humans/objects are worthy of absolute love....I pick flowers, eat meat, and speak my mind more than I probably should. 

Since god is irrelevant in my mind, I think the "mess we have" is determined by the conflicting political/government ideologies around the world that are painted as so at odds with each other that one must "pick a side." 

I think I'm still missing your point. But I'm sure there are unbelievers who don't appreciate being put with the left, I'm sure there are believers who don't appreciate being lumped with the right, and ultimately we are working with four labels that put people into boxes.

Ha, this literally is the first day I took you off of ignore, and look what you've done.....lol.

Playing the victimized and persecuted Christian card, End...?

Or the victimized and persecuted End3 card, End...?

End3, always the victim,

I guess, because I don't participate in this "absoluteness" you're talking about, I'm still not getting your point. I disagree with your entire paragraph. I don't think I'm perfect, don't think everything should be allowed, don't think humans/objects are worthy of absolute love....I pick flowers, eat meat, and speak my mind more than I probably should. 

Since god is irrelevant in my mind, I think the "mess we have" is determined by the conflicting political/government ideologies around the world that are painted as so at odds with each other that one must "pick a side." 

I think I'm still missing your point. But I'm sure there are unbelievers who don't appreciate being put with the left, I'm sure there are believers who don't appreciate being lumped with the right, and ultimately we are working with four labels that put people into boxes.

I tried not to lump EVERYONE in the left or right...was trying to word it such.

I am talking about the pursuit of perfection.  Most of us, I believe, would like to march through life without offending, loving and being loved.  In that, there is an approach.  The left, or what is reported, seemingly to me, seem like their approach is love it all and criticize any aspect that falls short of that absolute.  Again, I think this is one reason God stipulates. 

I think the mess we have is directly related to theologies and resulting cultures.

Playing the victimized and persecuted Christian card, End...?

Or the victimized and persecuted End3 card, End...?

End3, always the victim,

Dude, you are too short sighted to see how this ties to Christianity.....not my fault.  That's why they have the report button to notify the mods.  Maybe they can move the post for you.

I tried not to lump EVERYONE in the left or right...was trying to word it such.

I am talking about the pursuit of perfection.  Most of us, I believe, would like to march through life without offending, loving and being loved.  In that, there is an approach.  The left, or what is reported, seemingly to me, seem like their approach is love it all and criticize any aspect that falls short of that absolute.  Again, I think this is one reason God stipulates. 

I think the mess we have is directly related to theologies and resulting cultures.

I think marching through life without offending others and loving someone/being loved by someone is not the same as the pursuit of perfection. Those are actually pretty simple goals. I also think the left only loves/endorses their ideologies (as do most social groups). For example, feminism is lauded with praise and MRAs are silenced and criticized at every turn. 

Dude, you are too short sighted to see how this ties to Christianity.....not my fault.  That's why they have the report button to notify the mods.  Maybe they can move the post for you.

Your OP had nothing about Christianity in it.  

Thoughts please.

So Yes, I am too short sighted too see what wasn't in your OP.  

Maybe I should start what looks like a political thread in the Theological area and when someone sez that politics belongs in ToffT...

...THEN tell them that they're to short sighted to see what I didn't write about?

Your OP had nothing about Christianity in it.  

Thoughts please.

So Yes, I am too short sighted too see what wasn't in your OP.  

Maybe I should start what looks like a political thread in the Theological area and when someone sez that politics belongs in ToffT...

...THEN tell them that they're to short sighted to see what I didn't write about?

Religious right ring a bell?  I know very few leftist Christians....very damn few.....js.

• Super Moderator

This looks like a political correctness rant. Is that about it?

As far as following "God's laws" it seems believers all have some different ideas on what that might entail. I doubt many modern day Christians adhere to any Old Testament laws unless it suits them. Very few go along with the laws on celibacy and divorce as found in the NT. Of course a lot of them say they support this or that Holy Law but assume it's for other people.

Religious right ring a bell?  I know very few leftist Christians....very damn few.....js.

Nuthing about the religious right in your OP.

Just the 'political realm'.

This looks like a political correctness rant. Is that about it?

As far as following "God's laws" it seems believers all have some different ideas on what that might entail. I doubt many modern day Christians adhere to any Old Testament laws unless it suits them. Very few go along with the laws on celibacy and divorce as found in the NT. Of course a lot of them say they support this or that Holy Law but assume it's for other people.

Tools specific to Gen 1:26

Unchecked Copy BoxGen 1:26

Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[fn] and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

Tools specific to Gen 1:27

Unchecked Copy BoxGen 1:27

So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.

Tools specific to Gen 1:28

Unchecked Copy BoxGen 1:28

God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”

Tools specific to Gen 1:29

Unchecked Copy BoxGen 1:29

Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.

Tools specific to Gen 1:30

Unchecked Copy BoxGen 1:30

And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food.” And it was so.

So NO, it wasn't a PC rant. 

Genesis 1 : 26 - 30 relates to the political realm... how?

• Super Moderator

Sorry. It seemed like railing against "liberal" things like veganism and kindness to animals.

So you accept the rules from Genesis, what about the further OT elaboration regarding diet? Stoning children? Beating slaves, well, just a little?

Sorry. It seemed like railing against "liberal" things like veganism and kindness to animals.

So you accept the rules from Genesis, what about the further OT elaboration regarding diet? Stoning children? Beating slaves, well, just a little?

I accept that the current mindset of the liberals is very much anti Genesis.  I also accept that because I don't know what the long term result God has for us, that the commandments are a short list that we don't have to strive for the long list you mention.....

Just over the border from you, End.

Leftist Christians.

In the rest of Latin America too.

https://billmuehlenberg.com/2015/05/05/liberation-theology-and-marxism/

Thoughts please.

Do you have an example?  

Do you have an example?  

yes, environmentalism....."absolute" restrictions placed on the environment....

I accept that the current mindset of the liberals is very much anti Genesis.  I also accept that because I don't know what the long term result God has for us, that the commandments are a short list that we don't have to strive for the long list you mention.....

You might find the liberals don't even think about Genesis. I'm not liberal, and I'm "anti Genesis" depending on the criteria and how you are defining that term.

Isn't the long term result that all the chosen True Believers (TM) end in up Heaven for eternity while all the sinners wind up in hell for eternity? That's what the bible says. And since the bible is gods message the world we can assume that's what the long term plan is. Ironically under said plan everyone lives forever :D

And you applying Genesis allegorically or literally? Cause that's a world of difference to the conversation.

Define Absolute for us please?

And can you elaborate a bit more, rather than tossing out one line explain nothing posts?

If you mean do people flip out and basically worship some cause like saving some turtle on a 2 square mile chunk of land, then yes. People go overboard.

• Super Moderator

No cherry picking. If you accept the rules laid out in one part of the OT you are obliged to accept them all.