Goodbye Jesus

The Absolute

Guest end3

I still don't know what you mean by factual. Feelings and emotions do in fact exist. They arise in response to other, usually real, things. 

One's feelings or emotions about a given thing typically turn out to be irrelevant at best and harmful at worst. Why anyone would prefer feeling to thinking when a decision must be made is beyond me.

The exact physiology necessary to re produce what we now label as angry, happy, etc 

• Super Moderator

Yes, physiology is real. The question is what is the practical value of the resulting feeling?

• Like 1

There's no telling the correlations one could make.... seriously.

Why bother with correlation if you can't establish causation?

Why bother with correlation if you can't establish causation?

Good question...why do we continue to search these issues 

Good question...why do we continue to search these issues 

Surely a better question is why do we want to settle for correlation when causation will tell us so much more?

So it's been mentioned that love is an absolute.  I guess the original question, rephrased, would be, should we apply unconditional/absolute love to situations where specifics are in play.  There is the old adage, love the sinner but hate the sin.  The problem seems to be today....pay for the sins monetarily, or you are an unloving, hate-filled, dirtbag.

Is this right or wrong.   

• Super Moderator

Maybe you should pray about it, End3.  See what jesus has to say, and then get back to us.

So it's been mentioned that love is an absolute.  I guess the original question, rephrased, would be, should we apply unconditional/absolute love to situations where specifics are in play.  There is the old adage, love the sinner but hate the sin.  The problem seems to be today....pay for the sins monetarily, or you are an unloving, hate-filled, dirtbag.

Is this right or wrong.   

Is love an absolute?

Before tackling the original question or rephrasing it, shouldn't we deal with the question of love being an absolute or not?

Otherwise we risk tackling a question where the premise (love is absolute) hasn't been established.

I tried not to lump EVERYONE in the left or right...was trying to word it such.

I am talking about the pursuit of perfection.  Most of us, I believe, would like to march through life without offending, loving and being loved.  In that, there is an approach.  The left, or what is reported, seemingly to me, seem like their approach is love it all and criticize any aspect that falls short of that absolute.  Again, I think this is one reason God stipulates. 

I think the mess we have is directly related to theologies and resulting cultures.

Your last sentence is key. Theology is the problem. Thanks for pointing that out.