Goodbye Jesus

Deconversion research

Tiacapan

First, a little intro - I was raised in the UK in an evangelical christian family and started my long road to atheism when I left home at 18 to go to university until 9 years ago at age 32 when the last shreds of belief in god vanished. During that time i joined ex-christian.net and found an invaluable source of affirmation and support.  I have re-joined recently as i knew i would soon be starting my dissertation research on the deconversion process and thought this was a good place to be during this time.

There is not much research done about people who deconvert from christianity especially from a UK perspective and i wanted to do something about it.  

So with that aim in mind I am hoping there may be someone reading here who would be interested in talking about their experiences or who may know someone who would be interested.  I'm guessing its a long shot as there are not too many people from the UK on Ex.C so far as i can see and i need people who were raised in and currently live in the UK.  But still, i thought I would put my information out here anyway and see what happens.

So to that end…here are some details…

Currently I am a final year student at the University of Chester studying an MA Clinical Counselling. I am looking for participants for my research dissertation who are from the UK and have been practicing Evangelical Christians in the past and who now identify as Agnostic or Atheist. Participation involves a semi-structured interview lasting approximately 1 hour, which ideally would be conducted in person but use of Skype/Facetime is also an option.

If you are interested and would like to know more please message me on here and I will give you more details.

Thank you!

Hey, that sounds like a fascinating topic. Good luck with your dissertation!

Thank you :0)

Sounds like a great topic!!! I hope you get lots of responses. Good luck with your data collection. Maybe share the finished product with us?

Yes, thats a very good idea, will do! 

Great to see another counselling student on here (I'm currently Diploma in Counselling at the University of Edinburgh, with plans to go on to do the Masters) and wonderful to see someone doing research into the deconversion process! I'm hoping to do some research in that area myself when dissertation time rolls around (I have another year at least). 

I'd be willing to be interviewed if you don't mind a Scot being thrown into the mix. Shoot me a message if you are interested and we can sort a time! :)